DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, 5 diyma members including myself met at my house today to listen to some tweeters. Megalomaniac (Mir), ~Magic_Man~(Joseph), Bassfromspace(Brian), and Azngotskills(Mark)...all brought something to help us listen to a very wide variety of tweeters.

At our disposal we had a Behringer active crossover, RTA, Crown XLS202, various laptops and of course the barrage of tweeters and two sets of midbass speakers.

The test list was as follows...
Vifa XT25TG (Polk variants)
Dayton DC28F-8
HAT L1v2
Scan Speak D2904 (Alpine variants)
ADI Ceramic (Tang Band variants)
TBI (does that vendor still exist?)
Kimura (looked exactly like the Daytons)
Seas ER18RNX (Midbass duity)
Adair Extremis (Backup Midbass duity)

I had built some test boxes for the drivers in advance. The Seas mid's were in .25cft sealed enclosures that had the ability to attach a removable top baffle so we could easily swap out different tweeters quickly. It is hard to explain but the system worked out very well and swapping out the tweeters was a breeze. Hopefully Joseph will bless us with some pictures of the day so you all can get a visual.

I'll post comments about the happenings tomorrow. I just wanted to get this thread up so the guys have a place to post their thoughts on the drivers and the pictures.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Its OK guys, I couldnt have made it anyways... :disappointed::bigcry::disappointed:

Love to hear about the how the scans and the xt25s stack up

BTW, TBI still has website up, but vendor hasnt been on the site since Jan.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
234 Posts
If I would of know about this I could of shiped you guys some of the tweeters I have sitting around to throw in the mix.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Too directional, narrow dispersion, and lacked top end clarity & shimmer.

The Scans have a really Dynaaudio sound to them, real warm and mellow, lacks top end as well. But they dont sound bad at all. They are the type of tweeter you could mount anywhere in the car/house and it wont sound like ass to me. I would consider these "lounge" speakers. They are playing but you dont worry about them. They are Chillaxed

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Too directional, narrow dispersion, and lacked top end clarity & shimmer.

The Scans have a really Dynaaudio sound to them, real warm and mellow, lacks top end as well. But they dont sound bad at all. They are the type of tweeter you could mount anywhere in the car/house and it wont sound like ass to me. I would consider these "lounge" speakers. They are playing but you dont worry about them. They are Chillaxed
Fair enough. How did you like em compared to the Vifas you had for so long?

Are you guys planning on a full listing/ranking individually, or a post with an overall ranking for the day?

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This review I’m about to post is a direct reflection of my OPINIONS! It is not fact nor do am I attempting to pass it off as such. I’m simply stating what I my observations were and how I think they apply. Blah blah, legal bull shit….

The Rank According to ME
(the other guys will likely have their own opinions)
1)ADI Ceramic (Tang Band variants)
2)TBI (does that vendor still exist?)
3)HAT L1v2
4)Scan Speak D2904 (Alpine variants)
5)Kimura (looked exactly like the Daytons)
6)This is the gap represented from the Kimura to the Vifa….this is necessary
7)Vifa XT25TG (Polk variants)
8)Dayton DC28F-8

Our test rig was a pair of .25cft sealed enclosures with removable tweeter baffles made for the Seas mids. The power was [email protected] going to each tweeter and midbass. Our listening distance was about 7 feet from the source. We listened to a multitude of things throughout the day but our unofficial “reference” song for all the tweeters was Sierra Highways on The Sheffield Jazz Experience.

The first up for testing was the Daytons. From the first note I heard out of these I could tell they were quite mellow. They were an 8ohm tweeter so we brought down the mids a bit to level things out. It helped a bit but I still thought these weren’t that detailed and were a little too laid back for my taste. These were tied with the Kimuras for the largest tweeter of the day. The large mounting flange and wide, deep motor structure make these basically impossible for use in a car. These were my least favorite tweeters of the day.

The HAT L1v2 tweeters were very nice but fell short of the ADI Ceramics in my opinion. In our test rig they had a little bit more of a laid back top end than the ceramics. I think this might be something that a lot of people would actually find favorable. My last set of tweeters in my car were the tweeters in the Focal 165V1 set. Some would say there were a bit bright but I really enjoyed them. I’m only mentioning that to give you all a reference to base my taste off of. These tweeters did fairly well off axis as well. They were a decent size for mounting in a vehicle too. These tweeters were the only ones we tested all day that had push terminals. It’s not a HUGE deal but it was certainly a nice touch. These weren’t very happy with a low crossover. I think they would do ok to about 2.5k but certainly no lower than that. At the end of the day Joseph put them back in his car and we fired up his system and did some listening. These were VERY nice in his car. They were very close to being on axis. I immediately asked him if he had EQ’d the top end up a bit in his car but he had it flat. He’d brought down the mids a bit but the top end response was set to zero. I thought they sounded fantastic in his car.

The VifaXT25 we tested was actually a pair pulled from a Polk home audio test. When I hit play I couldn’t hear very much from behind the speakers. These were VERY directional and had extremely limited off axis response. Even when I was in the middle of the sound stage, perfectly on axis, I didn’t favor this set. I think my exact words were, “What the hell, I hate these!” The guys laughed at my slip in bluntness. I think I felt that way because I had really high hopes for this set of tweeters. I’d read some stuff about them and most people seemed to like them. It’s possible I’d hyped them up a bit in my mind and I was just disappointed. But, I had high expectations for the HAT’s and they lived up to it so I can’t say for sure. I might try to hear these again some time. The mounting flange is quite large. The cutout is also a bit tricky because the terminals stick out fairly far. While I thought this was the coolest looking tweeter of the day, cool points weren’t worth a damn in this comparison. Poor off axis response and a large required mounting area dropped this tweeter way down on my list.

The Kimura tweeters were something I’d never even heard of before Sunday morning. Mark surprised us with them and it was a good surprise. I don’t have ANY info on these tweeters so hopefully Mark will comment on them. One thing I will say is that they looked EXACTLY like the Daytons. This made me think they would sound the same too. Again, I was surprised, and for the better. Joseph noted that the dome material looked slightly different and I’m betting that had something to do with the sound difference they had over the Daytons. These had a decent amount of top end on them but I didn’t feel like they were as detailed. They weren’t sloppy though. Off axis response was similar to the HAT L1v2’s. Since they were identical (physically) to the Daytons, they were very large and will be hard to use in a vehicle. I noticed that the mounting flange was metal where as the Dayton flange was plastic. This makes me wonder just how similar, or rather how not similar, the two tweeters are.

The Scan Speak D2904 set we had were out of an Alpine F1 set. I think the Kimuras had better top end. I liked these about as much as the Kimuras but they were about half the size. This is why I ranked them above the Kimuras. Fairly shallow, small cutout and flange, and a protective grill as well; something the Kimuras didn’t have. I honestly don’t recall what type of off axis response these had but I also don’t recall any irregularities or drop offs as I walked into the sound stage. These tweeters had their terminals on the very rear of the motor structure which I’m sure would make things very easy in terms of the wires not getting in the way while you are trying to mount them in a small area.

Our last minute competitor came in the form of the TBI tweeters. Mir had pulled these from his car. I currently run these as well in my own car. We didn’t have a baffle cut for these so we had them set up on top of the baffle. The baffle we had all the tweeters in was 6x8.5 inch flat MDF. Oddly enough, I thought this was one of the better sounding tweeters we had during the day. Very detailed and a crisp top end. These were the most shallow tweeter we tested and I know (from experience) that they can be mounted almost anywhere. Great little tweeter. They don’t like being crossed over too low but they certainly do ok down to 2.5k which I think will be low enough for most users. These had a protective grill over them as well. Brian and Mir mentioned that they felt there was some separation between the mids and the tweeters. I think this might have been because the actual distance between the tweeter and the mid had been increased since the tweeter was on top of the baffle. My opinion on the TBI tweeters has always been that I liked them but I don’t think they were worth the $200 price tag.

The ringer for us was the new ADI Ceramic dome tweeters. The moment I hit play, even though I was 180 degrees off axis (directly behind them), I already liked what I was hearing. As I joined the guys in the middle of the sound stage I was very much impressed. These tweeters were very detailed but not harsh in the least bit. They had that top end “sparkle” that we all crave so much. The chimes at the beginning of Sierra Highways were almost magical. And I mean magical to the point I half expected fairy dust to waft out of their little white ceramic domes. These tweeters were like a great cake. The substance was defined and the icing on the cake, the top end, was sweet but not overbearing. The off axis response was very good on these. One thing I’d like to note was that the lens that covers the tweeters seemed to affect the off axis response. With the lens placed vertically the horizontal dispersion was significantly increased. This could be used as an advantage in a car where on axis placement isn’t always possible. After the honeymoon period was over we decided to see how flexible it was with a different crossover setting. We brought it all the way down to 2k at a 12db slope with the mids at 1.6k with a 12db slope. The tweeter did fine playing down that low with respect to the lower end of the frequency spectrum. However, Brian and I both thought that the top end suffered a little bit when we brought down the crossover. Even with the crossover lowered we thought it still sounded very nice. I think the top end could be brought back with a little EQ help. The size of this tweeter also made it a good candidate for the car. The flange is a medium sized but the motor structure/rear chamber wasn’t as big as I had imagined (especially since it’s XBL). I will likely be ordering a set of these.

Final Summary
Currently I run the TBI tweeters in my car on axis. I think there is still some room for improvement on the top end. I think that the ADI Ceramics might be exactly what I’m looking for. These offer the flexibility of running a low crossover point so they could be used with a variety of mids. They offer great off axis response and they can be mounted fairly easily. At the moment I have no word on what pricing on these will be or even if they will be released so I can’t comment on that. Hopefully Dan will enlighten us on that topic 

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I may be asking too much:

Can you put in link or model numbers to the tweets without the model numbers, like the ADI Ceramic (datyon variant) and Kimura? I would like to look em up, and dayton has so much stuff...

·
I'm baaaack!!
4,397 Posts
Thanks to all of you guys for taking the time to do this review as well as to Steven for taking the time to write out your thoughts. Very cool to see some "old school" type of reviews popping up on here again.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I may be asking too much:

Can you put in link or model numbers to the tweets without the model numbers, like the ADI Ceramic (datyon variant) and Kimura? I would like to look em up, and dayton has so much stuff...
I got you Matt. Here ya go.

Daytons
Parts-Express.com:Dayton DC28F-8 1-1/8" Silk Dome Tweeter | tweeter dc28f-8 silk dome tweeter dome tweeter soft dome dayton audio dayton loudspeaker dayton dayton silky daytweet-41108

ADI Ceramic
CeraDome Tweeter

I really can't help you on the Kimura tweets though. I had to call Mark last night just to get the name. I didn't even know what they were called all day. :D

·
Registered
891 Posts
More details please...

How did you level match the different tweeters? And, for specific comparison's sake, at some point, did you compare the tweeters using identical filters and crossover points?

Thank you for going to the effort of doing the test and, especially, for taking the time to share your findings with the rest of us. I always love seeing this sort of thing! :)

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
More details please...

How did you level match the different tweeters? And, for specific comparison's sake, at some point, did you compare the tweeters using identical filters and crossover points?

Thank you for going to the effort of doing the test and, especially, for taking the time to share your findings with the rest of us. I always love seeing this sort of thing! :)
The tweeters all started with a crossover frequency of 3k. That was a filter that we thought was most appropriate for most car audio users. If, from manufacturer specs, we thought the tweeter could go lower we tried it. Level matching was done at the source and not at the amp and we did it by ear.

·
Registered
891 Posts
The tweeters all started with a crossover frequency of 3k. That was a filter that we thought was most appropriate for most car audio users. If, from manufacturer specs, we thought the tweeter could go lower we tried it. Level matching was done at the source and not at the amp and we did it by ear.
Thanks for your reply. :)

I'm curious why you didn't use the rta and Behringer to establish perhaps a more accurate level matching?

·
Registered
933 Posts
thanks for the review guys!

Whats the TB part number for the ADI variants?

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for your reply. :)

I'm curious why you didn't use the rta and Behringer to establish perhaps a more accurate level matching?
We were having trouble getting all of our equipment to play nice together. Mir's amp was only a 2 channel amp and we didn't have the enough XLR connectors to get everything connected. The Bhringer was the piece I wanted to play with the most. I'm sad we didn't really get to use it. Maybe next time.

Really, yesterday the main objective was to listen to a shit ton of tweeters and keep the time in between listening sessions at a minimum. I think we succeeded in that respect. The quick change baffle allowed us to change tweeters within 2 minutes tops.

1 - 20 of 155 Posts