DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i blew an aluminum dome Diamond Audio tweeter, for the warranty my stereo will be MIA for a while, no fun.
i'm thinking about running a different tweeter so i am looking for some ideas on what i might look at.
i want something smooth and fat in the lower frequencies, the overall sound of my components seems a bit bright.

the amp is 220Wrms per channel, soundstream .02% THD(picasso 880).......i'm also thinking about upgrading to a Zed Audio Duece or an Arc xxk2500....are these really upgrades...i'm using the crossover in my eclipse CD8051 for the high pass, and i'm not sure of the crossover points for the passive hex crossover, which is another thing, i want the tweeter to work well with the hex crossovers.

i would love to be able to drop a tweeter right into the surface mount pod i have but not too big of a deal. i was considering a morel supremo but with the noise level of my car, 86 VW scirocco with crappy AC which means i drive with the windows down, i figure the cash outlay is not really that smart.

what are some tweeters i should look at, i might just wait out the time for the replacement, but i figure there are better tweeters out there that i could keep in the car and have the hex's as a backup.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Sounds like the amp you've got is already putting out a ton of juice... no need to upgrade unless one of those other amps you listed has some feature you desire, or outputs more power. Upgrading just for a name is only for those with stupid amounts of money to just toss around.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Instead of upgrading your amp. Why not add a small 2 channel amp and go active on the tweeters? That way you don't need to use the HEX crossover and you can use any tweeters in the market! (you may need a crossover incase your headunit does not support active setup).

Using the HEX passivesetup on tweeters that have different impendence then your original tweeters will cause a change in crossoverpoints as well as slope. It may or may not turn out good.

I think two good choices of tweeters for you would be the LPG 25NFA (very smooth), or Max Fidelity mfdt30neo (almost as good as the LPG, in terms of SQ, but can take more power). There are plenty of other tweeters yo can read about here:

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10

Also if you want to try larger tweeters or ribbons, those would sound even better :!:

David

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
87DXHatch said:
Sounds like the amp you've got is already putting out a ton of juice... no need to upgrade unless one of those other amps you listed has some feature you desire, or outputs more power. Upgrading just for a name is only for those with stupid amounts of money to just toss around.
yeah, i agree. BUT......lol, the amp on my sub now is my brothers amp (an MS2125) and he's getting to the point where he's is wanting to use it again.....so i was considering upgrading to a cleaner amp on my front stage and moving the soundstream to subwoofer duties.
so i need to know if those amps i'm looking at are really gonna be any cleaner sounding than the soundstream. they seem to get pretty good reviews from people that claim to be audiophiles.

i don't think my headunit supports running active.......actually, i better read the owners manual again....eclipse CD8051, anyone, anyone.

it seems to me that an active setup is having an electronic crossover with variable slopes and points for the crossover and running seperate amps for the high, mid, and low frequency ranges.
is the crossover usually an internal headunit type crossover, an amp corssover, a seperate crossover from the amps and the head unit or a combination of both????
and no passive anywhere.
sounds like TONS of tuning options :lol:

excelerator what crossovers are you using, you did away with the HEX crossovers?

·
Registered
265 Posts
is the crossover usually an internal headunit type crossover, an amp corssover, a seperate crossover from the amps and the head unit or a combination of both????
and no passive anywhere.
You can run active in any combination of ways you want.
A) headunit controls everything (this is what I do), amp runs full pass.
B) A few amp does the required crossovers so the headunit just sends out full signals.
C) It's limited, but you can find out ways to combine the crossovers of your headunit and amps to get the bandpass that you would need for the mids.

In all case, you would not use a passive anywhere.

Yep, it's a lot of tuning, but it's worth it if you really desire good sound.

David

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yesssssss

i was doing some browsing around and found a PG MS275 on ebay thought that would work good for some tweeters or an a/d/s p240 and then it hit me.

I have a precisionpower sedona 200ix sitting in my closet...... :D, still might not be the cleanest amp but it will work for a while.
all the specs i could find on it are
100x2 rms @4 ohm with 14.4V
and THD is .08%
does anyone have experience with the PPI sedona amps?

so it looks like i can use the sedona for some tweeters, the current soundstream i have on my mid drivers and come up with a 2 way crossover for my tweeters. bandpass for my mids can be acheived through my headunit or my soundstream amp when used with a 2way crossover at say 2500HZ or something.

i also have a crossfire crossover in my closet but i don't think i want 12db/octave slopes, i'd prefer 24 and i figure 18 would work ok.

so now all i have to figure out is whether i want to run a large format tweeter mounted low in my kick panel area or run a small tweeter on my doors in the location of the current tweeters.

oh yeah.....as far as crossovers go, is there anyone that makes a 24db/octave crossover that does not use chips to tune the points?????
i'm getting a little excited now :p

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
also

how important is impedance if i were running active.
obviously i don't have to worry about the impedance messing with a passive crossover but what about power output on the amp for the tweeters.
will there be much difference in output between a 4 ohm, 6 ohm, and 8 ohm tweeter given the high frequency levels that are being reproduced.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
got some.

just ordered some morel 57.05 tweeters.
i wanted some MT-22 but they are not available in the US they told me, i thought about asking about the MT-23 but for 75 bucks for the 57.05 i just said screw it.
http://morelusa.com/misc/MDT-57 Series Tweeters.pdf

have a crossover on its way too.
audio control DSX, 24db slopes, digital programming of crossover points. has a bandpass channel too.

i think i'm gonna do an angled surface mount on the doors about the same location as my currrent diamond tweeter. my brother wants to put the tweets down on a plate or something in my kick panel, not sure if i want to mess with that or not.......i need to build an amp rack or something too.

i think the biggest difference will be the ability to adjust levels of the mid and tweet individually and pick crossover points.
i'll see soon, it'd be nice if the tweets are here by friday, they said they would try to have em shipped out today, then i'll get to play with it over the weekend......yesssssssssssss.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i put these tweeters in the other weekend and my brother decided he wanted his ms2125 back so i convinced him to "lets see how that TDX12 and crossfire 1000watt mono block amp will sound in a new enclosure", lol.

so i ended up with a little 60x2 rms soundstream picasso amp on the tweeters that i had in my closet, i couldn't find the speaker level connector for the old precision power sedona amp. used an old crossfire crossover that was in my closet too, 12db network. i'm getting to know my stereo now and i now have an audio control DXS waiting to go in when i get around to it.

after i saw how big these tweeters were i decided they should be in the kickpanels afterall. so built a little wooden baffle for them to see what it sounds like, should put some carpet on them and they won't look to bad.

these tweeters sound awesome, they will still distort a little if you drive them real hard....as in they can't keep up with the TDX and the diamond mid drivers (220rms per channel) but that should be fixed with a 24db network i think or i'll just have to raise the crossover point just a bit.

testing out and tuning the system is always the fun part so i'll go over that a little.
played tons of stuff in there but alot of it i can't remember what it was, there was some norah jones, tom waits, alice in chains, MMW, coltrane, some other stuff too that were female vocalist type stuff but i can't remember what it was.....several trips were made from my car back into the house to compare with the klipsche RF3 floor speakers, kilpsche 12" sub (with passive radiator i think) with a HUGE aragon amp.....lots and lots of listening at louder than average levels :)

the thing i noticed about the morel's is that they are not as harsh with vocals as if someone were to sing a word with an "S" in it...no harsh hiss sound that hurts your ears or makes you eyes kinda squint....
the morels are MUCH fatter in the lower frequencies and sound much more realistic, one example, the bass solo from MMW's "combustication" album on the song latin shuffle....the bass sounds awesome, much more realistic, you can hear the percussiveness of the fingers on the strings real well and the taps on the top plate of the bass are loud and full sounding. the tweeters were first to distort with the highers two octaves of the piano on this song too.
another cool album to listen to was tomwaits' "mule variations", this is a weird pick too because the songs are actually recorded with intentional distortion or noise so it is real tricky but tom's voice was an adequate workout for my new tweeters.
listening to coltranes "a love supreme" was fulfilling too. coltranes sax was much smoother sounding, much more listenable, elvin's ride cymbal was not overbearing but cymbal hits are still very realistic sounding, this is another area where the MMW album was nice, there is always lots of percussion going on from weird african drums to regular jazz type kits to cowbells.

i know the tweeters made a very large improvement but i know some credit must be given to the tuneability of running an active setup as well.

i need a quiet daily driver car so that i can do a real nice stereo in that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
oh yeah, the imaging is still a little low but oh well.
i wonder if the 12db network and the midbasses in the doors are dragging it down some. we tried to have the tweeters aimed at the opposing passengers face or right above their head at the roof i think, the driver side tweeter is closer than the pass side so it is not symetrical.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.