• Yes and I’ll reply with what you need

Votes: 0 0.0%
41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Grand Cherokee
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Agreed it's a current hog! But for one sub wired to see 4 ohms mono, he shouldn't be dimming any headlights...

Patrick, you check the wiring on that sub yet, bud?
Took video but had trouble attempting to post the clip. See pics attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
2012 Grand Cherokee
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
That’s how she’s wired up as of 1930 or so this evening. Haven’t attempted tuning completely as to not get HOA blue haired women fired up.

·
Registered
2012 Grand Cherokee
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Ok
..looks like you're gtg with the wiring!!

👍

Definitely don't want the HOA up your butt lol
They stay close believe me. With gain matched both sides to each other and turned to well less than aiming at the “G” of gain stamping , and bass eq down completely, sound is good. Worry a little when sub hits lower notes under power where it def makes an audible “this hurts a little from excursion in this little trash box.” Haven’t turned her loose yet of course but curious as to either going sealed or properly tuned professionally constructed box. Know amp is capable of much more and don’t want to make any addtl mistakes financially or incorrect in route to take.

·
Registered
258 Posts
There's zero subsonic filters on that amp. Please seal the box. Tight!

That amp and that (or most any) ported box can turn a sub into a paperweight rather quickly.

It's bound to sound better sealed, regardless, as that box seems dinky for a sealed setup.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I have stuffed clothes into the ports of those boxes to seal them up when i was younger.
Sometimes...a leaky sealed box is better than a ****ty ported. Like those are horrible man. You are most likely not getting any output below 45 or 50 hertz.

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
I have stuffed clothes into the ports of those boxes to seal them up when i was younger.
Sometimes...a leaky sealed box is better than a ****ty ported. Like those are horrible man. You are most likely not getting any output below 45 or 50 hertz.
Or cut the port out and shove in a PR?

They need a lot of weights when the box is too small, but at least they can go down to the lower frequencies then.

GD also suffers a bit.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Or cut the port out and shove in a PR?

They need a lot of weights when the box is too small, but at least they can go down to the lower frequencies then.

GD also suffers a bit.
You see the new (?) earthquake Passive Radiator Horn? Interesting unit!

·
Registered
643 Posts
I've seen (and experienced) the older Earthquake Slaps-18 passive radiators. Two 18" Digital Designs subwoofers with 2 18" passive radiators, in a small VW the size of a Yugo. That thing was crazy!

·
Registered
2012 Grand Cherokee
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
You guys think it might be easier to have someone locally build a sealed box to RF specs/seal what Ive got/buy prefab box

·
Registered
446 Posts
You guys think it might be easier to have someone locally build a sealed box to RF specs/seal what Ive got/buy prefab box
Easier yes....
Cheaper than screwing a piece of 2x4 to cover the port....no.
Edit...misread what you were asking.
I would get me a nice ported box. Tuned low. Like the upper 20s.
Rap music these days actually have a ton of good bass line down that low.
Some you would not ever hear with a box tuned in the 40s and a subsonic filter.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Don't go ported without a S.S. filter on the amp. Prefab sealed is FINE, if you shop for a good one. I rarely go pre fab anymore on real custom work, but for someone wanting great bass on a budget...prefab sealed is great.

RF should list exact or close to exact sealed vol req'd. With sealed, you can go a hair larger with no real issues. I would NOT go smaller.
10-15% over "optimal" is still just fine.

"Belva" prefabs on Amazon are fairly well done for the $, EXCEPT, they are not very good @ math on the volume. Their 12 box is listed @ 1.5cu ft, but internal vol is closer to 1.2. Depending on displacement of the motor assy and basket/cone, the Belva might be a decent choice.

Best Buy (sigh) also offers some pretty reasonably priced prefabs, but most a CRAP.

I would shop on AMZN and Ebay, and look for units with the most reviews, then omit the best/worst reviews, and see what the bulk of buyers say...

Or grab some 3/4" MDF, a calculator, some good screws and glue, and have a project day with the kid...

41 - 60 of 64 Posts