• Yes and I’ll reply with what you need

Votes: 0 0.0%
61 - 64 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Grand Cherokee
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Don't go ported without a S.S. filter on the amp. Prefab sealed is FINE, if you shop for a good one. I rarely go pre fab anymore on real custom work, but for someone wanting great bass on a budget...prefab sealed is great.

RF should list exact or close to exact sealed vol req'd. With sealed, you can go a hair larger with no real issues. I would NOT go smaller.
10-15% over "optimal" is still just fine.

"Belva" prefabs on Amazon are fairly well done for the $, EXCEPT, they are not very good @ math on the volume. Their 12 box is listed @ 1.5cu ft, but internal vol is closer to 1.2. Depending on displacement of the motor assy and basket/cone, the Belva might be a decent choice.

Best Buy (sigh) also offers some pretty reasonably priced prefabs, but most a CRAP.

I would shop on AMZN and Ebay, and look for units with the most reviews, then omit the best/worst reviews, and see what the bulk of buyers say...

Or grab some 3/4" MDF, a calculator, some good screws and glue, and have a project day with the kid...
I’m heading out to pick up an AudioControl LC2 Pro shortly today so I can at least have an active setup jn place for setting levels. Going to new shop in Mt Pleasant to see if they have a little better articulation of what I’m working with. Guy on phone when I called was older and said he couldn’t wait to see the amp as he’s been a fan for 30 years of RF… so that’s step one. Will see ab him building a box for me.

·
Registered
2012 Grand Cherokee
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Whole system as a whole woke up big time with the active LOC. sub def needs sealed enclosure but as it stands tuning wise, I’m blown away by the difference in not only bass signal and clean mids and highs, but overall balance and phasing in general. Apparently 3V to factory eq tune with rolloff compared to whatever this signal increase gives it is incomparable. Brian Howell owner of the “competition” of Custom Car Stereo at Audio Evolution met me at the door and had this swapped and tuned in 50 minutes. Totally different experience altogether; guys an old school bass head and we shared stories of our youth entire time his tech pulled off a big job to help me our. My son is gonna freak!
He’s building the sealed box I really need next week. What a great experience.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Glad to hear you found a shop that seems to ACTUALLY care about the SQ and your experience as a customer. The other shop sounds like it's a bunch of novices, concerned about squeezing more money than sound from their installs.

Pretty astonished they are even in business, frankly. If I DON'T know how to operate or install an item, I'm not gonna' lie and give you a botched job. Sounds like Brian/A A have a little more knowledge, and a LOT more service!

·
Registered
2012 Grand Cherokee
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Glad to hear you found a shop that seems to ACTUALLY care about the SQ and your experience as a customer. The other shop sounds like it's a bunch of novices, concerned about squeezing more money than sound from their installs.

Pretty astonished they are even in business, frankly. If I DON'T know how to operate or install an item, I'm not gonna' lie and give you a botched job. Sounds like Brian/A A have a little more knowledge, and a LOT more service!
Yeah man he was great. Took me on shop tour front and back. Told me even though he wasn’t a Rockford dealer the P3 was a great sub and didn’t downtalk the install but offered to reconnect all the inputs via solder instead of crimps and electrical tape. The little things. Jeep sounds incredible and once sealed box in place will be ideal for jamming to all genres of music.
Thanks to ALL you guys for the great help and sense of community

61 - 64 of 64 Posts