DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2 channel class ab amplifier (Rockford FosgateP325.2) that does 325w rms @ 4ohm with both its channels bridged. I use it to power my single voice coil 4 ohm Illusion Audio Luccent IM 12 subwoofer.
My question to all is, how much difference will a Class D(or Class AB, whatever) Monobloc making the same amount of power make, powering the sub in the same setup?
The question is with respect to the quality of the bass, the amount of bass, imaging and the control of the amp over the bass.
Does it make ANY difference? I don't think so, but i'd like it from the Gurus :)

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so Sq/Spl Levels will be unchanged right? is that what we concur? i have discussed this with a couple of installer gurus, who eventually say that a monobloc is the best way to power a sub.
someone also mentioned, that bridging both channels means halving the damping factor, which is bad, since control over a sub is very integral.
i have also been advised that a class ab makes the sub more musical than a class d.
with so amny conflicting opinions, i look to you'll for a stable opinion on this.
im not keen on getting a mono, but the next upgrade can be planned accordingly, if the general consensus about the mono holds true.
also, remember that i will most probably only run one sub in my car at a given time, if that helps in making a decision.
cheers!

·
Premium Member
4,428 Posts
so Sq/Spl Levels will be unchanged right? is that what we concur? i have discussed this with a couple of installer gurus, who eventually say that a monobloc is the best way to power a sub.
someone also mentioned, that bridging both channels means halving the damping factor, which is bad, since control over a sub is very integral.
i have also been advised that a class ab makes the sub more musical than a class d.
with so amny conflicting opinions, i look to you'll for a stable opinion on this.
im not keen on getting a mono, but the next upgrade can be planned accordingly, if the general consensus about the mono holds true.
also, remember that i will most probably only run one sub in my car at a given time, if that helps in making a decision.
cheers!

I dont concur that they will be the same, I run class A/B on subs at the highest impedance I can because it has more control over the speaker, there for sound better. This is what I have gathered from my experiences, I dont really care that people disagree.

If I needed gobs of power for a sub setup I would still run a/b and just upgrade my electrical accordingly, not like a class d is 50% more efficient anyways

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what exactly is the difference between stereo bass and mono bass? any pointers?

·
Premium Member
6,214 Posts
The main differences between a 2 channel and a mono amp for bass would be:
° Not many 2 channel amps can be bridge to 2 ohm in mono (while the mono can go as low as 1 ohm)
° 2 channel amps that can be bridge to 2 ohm in mono would be way more expensive
° The mono amp will have features most 2 channel ones won't have (phasing 180°, remote, filter @ 24dB, and so on)

Hope that helps,
Kelvin

1 - 11 of 11 Posts