DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I have 2 jl10w6v3's in my hatch powered by an audison av5.1k. It makes them pound with good accuracy especially double bass in things like slayer and cannibal corpse. However when listening to things like Ice Cube and Magic Mike while it is still pounding with bass drums the actual bass itself is just not where I would like it to be. So to get to the point I understand that the smaller 10's will be more accurate and punchy. However when stepping into subs like the jl12w7's will give huge bass but not as clean. I'm getting ready to start building out my hatch so my question is. Is there any way to install the w6's and the w7 in the same hatch? For example is it possible to tune the crisp and clean double bass punch to the w6's and tune the over the top bass for rap and stuff to the w7. Any input would be appreciated on how to do it or if it cant be done I'd appreciate the reason so it can help me to understand.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jvd I have been fortunate enough to listen to both subs and your right the w7 is not sloppy by any means. It has a smooth clean rich bass sound but I didn't feel as much of the crisp double bass drum punch. But if you could direct me to the myth section I'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sealed but like I said I'm open for something new. I'd like to start fabrication on my hatch that's why I was asking about the 2 different sized subs in the same hatch.

·
Registered
77 Posts
To get more output and a little more lower end you could port your w6's and tune around 30 hz or so. The subs will still be quick sounding but you will have more overall volume and a little more low end (30-40hz). I believe those subs ported require around .75 ported which would not take up much more room. You could go a little bigger around 1 cube ported per sub. This would be the cheapest route IMO. If you like that quick tight sound you could go with a Image Dynamics IDmax 12inch sub ported and this would be a good deal louder than your two 10's sealed.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for everyone's info. I will try that ported enclosure but my original question was can you put different sub sizes in 1 hatch. Naturally 2 different enclosures.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yes you can but it can get tricky with getting all the subs to blend together well and in proper phase and group delay issues. Just like blending subs with midbass and adding a second type sub will create another area for blending. I have seen it done but not actually heard a set up like that.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Guys real quick. Im thinking about changing subs. I would be replacing 2-10w6v3's for one12w7. Will it be a huge difference and can it give me a punchy double bass.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
To the OP, I run two different subs in one of my minivans and love it. I have a 10" sealed between the two front seats, stays on all the time from 35hz up. A 12" Transmission line in the back that gets low and loud when desired. I think it's just fun to play with the different subs.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I've done something a little different in the past with good results.

I had a sealed 10" sub and a ported 10" in the same car, wired to different amplifiers with a toggle switch to allow me to switch between the two. The sealed sounded pretty decent for most everything "I" listened to, with a huge exception, Rap/Hip Hop, which was about have my music collection. Ported on the other hand just didn't seem to give the crisp, clean, punchy kick I needed with everything else I listened to at the time.

This setup seemed to work out for me for a while, up until i switched vehicles and didn't want to mess with wiring in two setups.

I'm again debating of doing such once more.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Guys real quick. Im thinking about changing subs. I would be replacing 2-10w6v3's for one12w7. Will it be a huge difference and can it give me a punchy double bass.
Are the W6's not loud enough or do not go low enough? Would you run the W7 sealed or ported? The W7 either way will not have the punchy double bass like the W6's sealed or ported. I have owned both a couple of times. If not loud enough why not run two W6's the 13.5 version sealed in a bigger than recommended box for the extra low end or port the ones you have. If you want the best of both worlds get the Image Dynamics IDmax 12 and port it.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Punchy and tight bass are a function of adequate midbass drivers that can keep up with the low end. Since sealed enclosures roll off so high the <60 hertz does not overwhelm the midbass frequencies. Hence smaller less capable midbass drivers are able to be used and people think their subs are punchy and tight.

Now port the sub and suddenly the low end is not rolling off. And with cabin gain 30 hertz as an example can be 10-20 db hotter than the same woofer in a sealed box. Now your small midbass drivers just can't keep up and your bass appears to be muddy. So even though the ported sub's 60-80 hertz response is the same as the sealed sub's response and level, below that the superior output down low of the ported requires better more capable midbass drivers.

The single W12 potentially could provide a little more output but if you already own the two W6 10" subs, I would try the tens in a different enclosure.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.