DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Recently saw this set up online. I have always wanted to try a set of horns but the body of the horn hit several things under my dash so a no go. Has anyone seen a pair of mids and tweets run in this manner? Obviously, I know several run A pillars and dash mount, I dont think I have ever run across the mids/tweets mounted under dash like this. Without hearing, would this function similar to a horn playing under the dash?

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
I noticed that as well. They have the mids and tweets on the inside vs the outside
The pods too. They should of met with the door panel. Not the center console.
I imagine it sounds rather mono.
I've never even seen a set of real horns mounted that close.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Recently saw this set up online. I have always wanted to try a set of horns but the body of the horn hit several things under my dash so a no go. Has anyone seen a pair of mids and tweets run in this manner? Obviously, I know several run A pillars and dash mount, I dont think I have ever run across the mids/tweets mounted under dash like this. Without hearing, would this function similar to a horn playing under the dash?

No. A horn works with a single drive and the waveguide alters the dispersion pattern and acoustical gain of the driver. These would operate like having two center-channel sound bars in front of you. The M-T-M spacing will work to create a comb filter to limit horizontal dispersion in the midrange. It would be like sitting in front of a single center channel only speaker with a tweeter off in the distance.

Unless they're working with an ambiophonics processor....

It looks good. For a cruiser it's probably fine. For a SQ install, it's total trash.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No. A horn works with a single drive and the waveguide alters the dispersion pattern and acoustical gain of the driver. These would operate like having two center-channel sound bars in front of you. The M-T-M spacing will work to create a comb filter to limit horizontal dispersion in the midrange. It would be like sitting in front of a single center channel only speaker with a tweeter off in the distance.

Unless they're working with an ambiophonics processor....

It looks good. For a cruiser it's probably fine. For a SQ install, it's total trash.
thanks for the info. would a set up like this potentially work if using only a single mid and tweet and the drivers were placed in the correct location out near the door panels vs near the center console?

·
Registered
620 Posts
You're not going to get any form of horn loading effect on the frequency response. At best it will function similarly to a kick panel install. A well functioning wave guide relies on properly engineered throat and mouth geometry.

·
Registered
62 Posts
the install is interesting but it is not wave guide.

Horns work due to the dispersion pattern of the horn AND because it is a single source so there is no chance of wave interference from resonant frequencies at the source (all this is done via the geometry of the horn itself).

For all that work, they might as well have put the speakers in the kick panels and called it a day.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Not sure why you would think those are waveguides.

I'm sure if Curtis wanted to install horns he would have.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Still, Curtis posted them and they're obviously not waveguides. They're just under dash speakers.

From Curtis:

"This was just a better solution instead of having one center speaker in the dash. The customer had the same thing done in his last Camaro. Not an SQ car by any means. Just wanted a decent setup without changing anything about the car."

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Still, Curtis posted them and they're obviously not waveguides. They're just under dash speakers.

From Curtis:

"This was just a better solution instead of having one center speaker in the dash. The customer had the same thing done in his last Camaro. Not an SQ car by any means. Just wanted a decent setup without changing anything about the car."
thanks for the clarity on why this was done this way

·
Registered
358 Posts
If I recall correctly... Lucio Proni of JL Audio did similar in an original Mini waaaaay back when.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts