DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any options for tapping digital output of an iPod?

I have a coaxil SPDIF digital in on my HU. My 1/8th inch input is busted so using a regular ipod connection is not even an option.

There are two device I know of that get digital out from an iPod

One is a $2,000 ipod mod and dock station called the iLink
iLink Music Server

The other is a $400 dock called the 170i that is licensed ny Apple to tap digital out so needs no mod
Wadia Digital

Both products look a bit bulky for car use. At least the iLink has a wireless transmission option but the dock station is over priced and is over featured for what i'm looking for. Seem the mod to the ipod should be sufficient but of course they want to milk it.

Any solutions out there guys?

·
Registered
962 Posts
Well, your in my same boat with my Denon....

In reality, its either the wadia (advantage being it does accept 12 volt power) or simply, this guy here with no digital, but better then headphone jack output....

* PERIPHERAL PXP01 IPOD AUX ADAPTER TO RCA (VIDEO TOO)*::*IPOD DIRECT COMPATIBLE AUX ADAPTERS*::*AUX AND IPOD ADAPTERS*::*OEM Factory Aux Ipod Adapters & Changers*::*AUTOTOYS

The other option includes changing your head unit to one that has a usb ipod connection bypassing the ipods DAC....but thats a stretch I'm sure..

·
Registered
311 Posts
best one that I highly recommend is the Wadia, you can easily take it apart and extend the ipod piece, you can make it into a stand or something and hide the digital part. Plus its already 12v

Also it completely bypasses the ipod dac

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
Are there any options for tapping digital output of an iPod?

I have a coaxil SPDIF digital in on my HU. My 1/8th inch input is busted so using a regular ipod connection is not even an option.

There are two device I know of that get digital out from an iPod

One is a $2,000 ipod mod and dock station called the iLink
iLink Music Server

The other is a $400 dock called the 170i that is licensed ny Apple to tap digital out so needs no mod
Wadia Digital

Both products look a bit bulky for car use. At least the iLink has a wireless transmission option but the dock station is over priced and is over featured for what i'm looking for. Seem the mod to the ipod should be sufficient but of course they want to milk it.

Any solutions out there guys?
The mod to the iPod is part of a 2 piece complete package. The docking station is where the heart of the unit is. It does the processing, without it there's nothing.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
best one that I highly recommend is the Wadia, you can easily take it apart and extend the ipod piece, you can make it into a stand or something and hide the digital part. Plus its already 12v

Also it completely bypasses the ipod dac
Intresting. Have a link to a tutorial on this mod?

·
Registered
962 Posts
Hmmm, that is interesting. I was going to simply get a female to male Ipod cable, plugging the female to the wadia and use the other end to connect the ipod up on my dash.

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
Hmmm, that is interesting. I was going to simply get a female to male Ipod cable, plugging the female to the wadia and use the other end to connect the ipod up on my dash.

That's what I would do. You never know if remove the docking part can let in some type of noise that is kept out of the unit by means of a completely enclosed shielded body.

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
It's only a matter of time before the circuit becomes available to the public to talk that iPod into giving up the goods. I'm certainly holding out.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I was thinking that exact same thing Chad....but I'm getting so impatient!

Why doesn't apple just create their own dock.......

I mean, USB ipod compatible head units bypass the ipod DAC already.

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
I was thinking that exact same thing Chad....but I'm getting so impatient!

Why doesn't apple just create their own dock.......

I mean, USB ipod compatible head units bypass the ipod DAC already.
Hmmmmmmm, you are right, I think, and if so, those are cheap..... the other options ARE NOT. I thought up until now it was a licensing thing with apple to get them to give it up.

You can score ipod plugs to make custom cables ;)

·
Registered
962 Posts
Hmmmmmmm, you are right, I think, and if so, those are cheap..... the other options ARE NOT. I thought up until now it was a licensing thing with apple to get them to give it up.

You can score ipod plugs to make custom cables ;)
Their are a lot of folks who praise the concept that the fewer digital to analog conversions, the better the SQ of the material being played. Hence, ideally, the process should occur once somewhere in the signal chain since it has to.

So for me, to plug my ipod into a wadia, and then straight ouput into my BitOne would be my ideal situation. But I can't do it without dropping $400. So, I then think to myself, what the next best scenario.

Well, I would need a unit capable of bypassing the IPOD dac via USB and at the same time, provide a digital output as to bypass that units DAC as well.....well, the cost of a unit with USB ipod input and digital out seems to be more then the wadia....an example is the w505 at $800 plus $100 for the digi cable (and I already ran the unit which reminds me of MS-DOS :surprised::laugh:) .

I mean ****, even if I get the wadia now, I can't bypass the Denon DAC since I only have digi input!

So, what to do...wait for Ipod to have their own dock which I have no idea what a price range would be or get a wadia...

All this to keep the DAC to one in the chain.

At this rate, I may not end up even running a head unit for CD's, but rather, run an ipod to wadia to bitone....

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Beings fairly new to the ipod culture.... does the iopd retain stock control when flying audio out of the "usb?" although my headunit WILL control the ipod I prefer to just use the ipod itself because if it's interface.

In other words, I just want it like it is... with a digital output.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Beings fairly new to the ipod culture.... does the iopd retain stock control when flying audio out of the "usb?" although my headunit WILL control the ipod I prefer to just use the ipod itself because if it's interface.

In other words, I just want it like it is... with a digital output.
I can't speak for all head units with USB Ipod control, but for the Alpine w505, when connected, would not retain normal control, but rather display "Alpine" and Do Not Disconnect. I feel this is the case with most.

Its to my knowledge that the Wadia obviously does retain Ipod controls :)

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
it's as simple as.....

What command the unit gives the ipod to shoot SPDIF and what pin it does it on.

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
likely more complicated, probably a challenge code and response required or some sort of cipher key
It's only a matter of time......

here's a question, do the digi out docks work with only 5th gen and down or do they work with classics also, they jacked around with he classic with that manner to enable vid out of the dock connector. and since that's built into a PLUG it can't be rocket science ;)

·
Registered
962 Posts
The wadia supports the following:

Made for
iPod touch (1st and 2nd generation)
iPod classic (80GB, 120GB, 160GB)
iPod with Video, also known as 5th generation (30GB, 60GB 80GB) Extended Interface*
iPod nano (4th generation)
iPod nano (3rd generation)
iPod nano (2nd generation)
iPod nano (1st generation) Extended Interface*

HOWEVER, I know that the Alpine w505, when playing video, must use the Ipod headphone jack for its audio source. Hence, you not only have to plug your Ipod into the USB, but also must connect a 1/8th jack from your ipod to the 1/8th jack input on the back of the w505

1 - 20 of 22 Posts