DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
obviously, there are a lot of digital signal processors that use a mic and software to automatically or manually tune a car (BitOne, MS-8, Imprint, Audio Control), but can you really equal the results using an analogue parametric (3-5 bands) or mult-band EQ? obviously, you'll have to trust your ears, or use a RTA but in theory, you should be able to.

IDEAL situation

source material is usually lossless digital file or high bit audio file...stored most likely from an iPod/iPhone/CD....this is sent to the preamp, ideally still digital, this is the best time to run through an EQ digitally. Then there's a D/A converter to send it to your amps. The rest is just the quality of your cables, amps, speakers and crossovers.

MY situation

source material is again lossless...sent to a high quality D/A converter (iStreamer) which converts to analogue to go into the pre-amp (deck) which then tone bypasses to a 5 band parametric (analogue) and then to the amp.

obviously, there's a slight signal degradation from the deck to the EQ but I doubt it's audible for most. In my mind, the best D/A is critical along with the best tuning person along with a RTA.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Don't quote me on this, but I believe that the analog changes made with an EQ actually induce phase shifts, and other anomalies. Best case scenario, you feed digital signal direct to an amp, and use built-in digital EQ followed by a high bit DAC.

I'm not quite at this point, but I'm doing the next best thing. I'm planning to use a 24 bit DAC in a Kenwood Excelon with 4v outputs, and the signal gets fed directly into the Kicker SX amps I'm purchasing (one is on its way now). These allow 1/12 octave EQ'ing, with very high end ADC and DAC, directly in the amplifier itself.

I don't know the specs on a Zapco DC Reference setup, but it's essentially the same thing on a more $$ scale.

Eric

1 - 2 of 2 Posts