DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I purchased some Focal's from a *reputable* seller off of eBay (not necessarily a dealer, just a guy selling some speakers laying in his room). These weren't new in box, these were taken from a Tweeter when they went out of business. I already confirmed the serial numbers and everything, it's a legit Focal set.

He didn't do the best job in shipping them, however. When they arrived, they were sitting cone-side down and covered in bubble-wrap. The weight of the magnet was pressing on the surround of the cone.

There were little dimples on the surround, which for the most part were removed just by shaping the surround lightly with my fingers.

I just want to know if this is something to worry about.

Also, one of the tweeters has a slightly dented grille. Would I have to worry about the grille smacking against this grille? Not sure if they have as much excursion as a mid-bass does.

I'd appreciate your thoughts. Thanks,

Ryan

·
Registered
779 Posts
Leave the woofer upright for a few days. The surround will re-shape back to original. The tweeter will be fine IF, the grillies is not resting on the dome.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Leave the woofer upright for a few days. The surround will re-shape back to original. The tweeter will be fine IF, the grillies is not resting on the dome.

Thanks for the response. As far as the tweeter goes, I guess the only way to find out if the grille is touching the dome is to play them and listen for buzzing sounds :worried:

I'm very reluctant to stick anything in that grille and try to undo the dent. If it ever gives me a problem, I'm sending it to focal for repair.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I would contact the seller and him know he doesn't know how to ship fragile items and ask for some compensation. I can't tell you how many times I get pissed off at sellers because they skimp on packing materials and supplies in order to make the most $$ from the item sold.

my 2 cents.....

and you should be ok w/ the surround like previous people have said along w/ the tweeter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts