DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
641 - 656 of 656 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
SO.....after playing with the calculator....I noticed that the MiniDSP software can directly set APF.
View attachment 339666
For those who just use LR24, or anything that the basic second order covers? Can just do this here. Wish I saw this earlier...would have saved me time.
Indeed. Only time you're going to need to calc biquads are for 1st order APF. Second can all be done with variable Q through choosing that filter type in EQ settings.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Indeed. Only time you're going to need to calc biquads are for 1st order APF. Second can all be done with variable Q through choosing that filter type in EQ settings.
now the issue I have: Bought ARC RS3.0 and they're running IB in doors. Found they REALLY don't like DIRAC, in the sense that they hit XMAX quickly, and do not have any space to go past xmax, so voice coil can't go further. This means doing a full sweep without a filter is not really possible on them, as don't want to risk damage to the drivers at low frequencies. 200 2nd order HPF at a minimum needed. Now I just need to figure out how to set this up given that limitation.

·
Premium Member
2006 Hyundai Sonata V6
681 Posts
So the idea here is to first determine what crossover points/slopes work best. As in, let's say I use REW to arrive at (for example) 80/600/3500 at LR24 as a good solution. I then disable the crossovers, use APF that match (in this case Q=0.7 in place each of the low and high pass LR4 crossover), run Dirac, go back to the plug-in and remove the APF and re-enable the crossovers?

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #645 ·
So the idea here is to first determine what crossover points/slopes work best. As in, let's say I use REW to arrive at (for example) 80/600/3500 at LR24 as a good solution. I then disable the crossovers, use APF that match (in this case Q=0.7 in place each of the low and high pass LR4 crossover), run Dirac, go back to the plug-in and remove the APF and re-enable the crossovers?
So you don’t want to use REW so much….

you want to do a run on Dirac with no crossovers and no APFs and use that to determine your desired crossovers…. Simply what has the best imaging cues and staging attributes and tonality.

then go back and run Dirac again with the APFs on and crossovers off , then turn off APFs and crossovers on when Dirac is over

The crossovers will sound completely different post dirac then they would with a REW tune….

dirac changes the timing in ways that will alter the crossovers so much that a REW tune won’t be anything like it…. Dirac does a far better job then what can be done in REW for one , but the timing changes simply invalidates any REW work.

It’s sorta like how after Dirac any peq in any modal areas can destroy the ambiance and make the tune sound flat, because the peq is at the wrong time.

·
Premium Member
2006 Hyundai Sonata V6
681 Posts
OK, that's even easier! Perfect. I'm upgrading my mids and midbasses before I run this new method, so won't be able to a true before/after test, but looking forward to giving it a go.

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #647 ·
OK, that's even easier! Perfect. I'm upgrading my mids and midbasses before I run this new method, so won't be able to a true before/after test, but looking forward to giving it a go.
i would keep your minimum phase tune as preset 1 and make the new one on preset 2 so you can audition them , you’ll still very much appreciate the minimum phase version and you’ll discover what you want to do on preset 3 and 4 for mixed phase

·
Registered
122 Posts
So you don’t want to use REW so much….

you want to do a run on Dirac with no crossovers and no APFs and use that to determine your desired crossovers…. Simply what has the best imaging cues and staging attributes and tonality.

then go back and run Dirac again with the APFs on and crossovers off , then turn off APFs and crossovers on when Dirac is over

The crossovers will sound completely different post dirac then they would with a REW tune….

dirac changes the timing in ways that will alter the crossovers so much that a REW tune won’t be anything like it…. Dirac does a far better job then what can be done in REW for one , but the timing changes simply invalidates any REW work.

It’s sorta like how after Dirac any peq in any modal areas can destroy the ambiance and make the tune sound flat, because the peq is at the wrong time.
Choosing the crossover points, I think dirac just shows you the response of the different drivers, how do you get information about staging and tonality? I know in REW you just choose based on where the responses best meet.

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #649 · (Edited)
Choosing the crossover points, I think dirac just shows you the response of the different drivers, how do you get information about staging and tonality? I know in REW you just choose based on where the responses best meet.
so you do a full tune with crossovers off in Dirac (and NO APFs)

after Dirac, play around with crossovers and slopes and such and frequencies until you find what you like

then do another tune with crossovers off (and APFs ON that match your XOs)

then after that run of Dirac go turn on the crossovers and OFF the APFs and done

You get information by a listen and test tracks
And trial and error on crossovers….. because once locked in on an APF tune your stuck with those crossovers

·
Registered
901 Posts
now the issue I have: Bought ARC RS3.0 and they're running IB in doors. Found they REALLY don't like DIRAC, in the sense that they hit XMAX quickly, and do not have any space to go past xmax, so voice coil can't go further. This means doing a full sweep without a filter is not really possible on them, as don't want to risk damage to the drivers at low frequencies. 200 2nd order HPF at a minimum needed. Now I just need to figure out how to set this up given that limitation.
How loud is the dirac sweep playing to the ear? It shouldn't be crazy loud. I would make sure your mic gain is set appropriately. I'm using focal mw3.5s IB and they have no issue with the sweep. Not even close to xmax

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #651 ·
How loud is the dirac sweep playing to the ear? It shouldn't be crazy loud. I would make sure your mic gain is set appropriately. I'm using focal mw3.5s IB and they have no issue with the sweep. Not even close to xmax
yeah I agree

I’ve tuned almost 1008x12s now and all of them end up being between -47db and -32db with mic gain at 0 with minidsp mic (or +12 for umm6 or xlr mic)

·
Registered
901 Posts
Would anyone be willing to post up their mic cal file they use for dirac?
I'm trying to use the audiofrog cal file, and it doesn't like it it any form, txt, cal, or FRD. So. Hoping to hand copy my mics cal info to a known usable by Dirac cal file. Thank ya!

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #653 ·
Would anyone be willing to post up their mic cal file they use for dirac?
I'm trying to use the audiofrog cal file, and it doesn't like it it any form, txt, cal, or FRD. So. Hoping to hand copy my mics cal info to a known usable by Dirac cal file. Thank ya!
all cal files should read as a Inverse impulse (sorta)

just open your cal file in notepad and make a copy save the copy as (and you have to put the quotes to change the file extension)

“mycalfile.frd”

·
Registered
901 Posts
all cal files should read as a Inverse impulse (sorta)

just open your cal file in notepad and make a copy save the copy as (and you have to put the quotes to change the file extension)

“mycalfile.frd”
It seemed like it changed the extension without adding quotes. I tool the orig file name and changed it from audiofrogblahblah.txt to audiofrogblahblah.frd and it said it changed the extension as it should with the old "this file may not be readable after changing" prompt. Still no dice last night.
I'll try again with quotes later today

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Well. I "Fixed" this problem.

Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design

Car Speedometer Vehicle Motor vehicle Light

Bye Bye MECA Street class.

Hello either Modified or Extreme.

641 - 656 of 656 Posts