DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
81 - 100 of 236 Posts

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I've made that same mistake before. Glad your bass is solid now. There's nothing quite like that feeling :)
Yep, at the moment the bass is right up on the dash. I'm pretty confident that once I measure again with everything set properly it should improve a little more.

hey what’s up mang !!! :)
Hey, hope all is good with you! Everyone good here, getting over the flu which sucked. Hoping to build a workshop in the back yard soon, then I can have all kinds of projects on the go!

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Yep, at the moment the bass is right up on the dash. I'm pretty confident that once I measure again with everything set properly it should improve a little more.

Hey, hope all is good with you! Everyone good here, getting over the flu which sucked. Hoping to build a workshop in the back yard soon, then I can have all kinds of projects on the go!
My whole family is home with Covid rn

But mild symptoms.... were all good
I have the week off to play with the car so that’s a plus

glad your okay :)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Reading these posts and then the manual makes be really want to try DL but I can’t get a definitive process clear in my head.

I am a 2 way front end + sub.

Can someone in simple words explain the process and routing table and Dirac channel setup please.

I’ll get some tweeter caps first :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I did another ground up tune using this new method last night trying some different measurement positions. Again, I grouped the Sub & Midbass in Dirac and "cascaded" the xover filters. The results are repeatable so far: Cohesive sound all the way through the spectrum. Attack/Decay of kick drums is fast & location is defined & up front on the dash.

I would like to note that I've tried many 7ch tunes in the past and they have always seamed less "spacious" and natural sounding than a typical 2ch tune. Well that is not happening with this method - the spaciousness/naturalness on both of these tunes rival some of the best 2ch results I've achieved.

It is a little tricky working with REW AutoEQ to shape to the final curve... a mix of AutoEQ peak filters and manual shelf filters has been needed to achieve what I'm after. And last nights tune left me wanting for more than 10 EQ filters so I split them up into Sub/MBass & Mid/Tweets groups to gain more filters. I made sure any shelfs were on both groups but the peak filters I split between them. For example: if there is a peak filter at 32hz - I would only apply that to the Sub/Midbass group because it's phase effect doesn't reach up into the midrange passband... And vice versa. Some filters are shared between the groups like say a peak filter within 1.5-2 octaves of the xover point between the midbass & midrange so it's phase effect will apply to both groups. It's not a cut & dry process - need to be smart about it. So one drawback is the ability to simply manipulate the target in Dirac to adjust tonality.

Reactions: naiku and Anu2g

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I am a 2 way front end + sub.

Can someone in simple words explain the process and routing table and Dirac channel setup please.
It's fairly simple to set up, the Dirac channel selection is in the Display menu, if using a multi channel like being discussed lately, enable 5 Dirac channels and assign them all to Zone 1, then select the type of speaker assigned to them, Tweeter, Full Range, Subwoofer are likely going to be what you would use in a 2 way + sub. Then on the Routing Tab, again if you were doing a multi channel you would assign (assuming your RCA input is on Input 1 and Input 2):

Dirac 1 - Input 1
Dirac 2 - Input 2
Dirac 3 - Input 1
Dirac 4 - Input 2
Dirac 5 - Bass Mgt

Essentially the odd Dirac channels will be your Left, the even channels the Right. If you are not using Bass Mgt then you would have your sub on Dirac 5 with both Input 1 and Input 2 enabled.

Then on the Mixer tab, you have the outputs along the top (you can rename them).

So enable the following:

Output 1 (L Tweeter) - Dirac 1
Output 2 (R Tweeter) - Dirac 2
Output 3 (L Mid / MidBass) - Dirac 3
Output 4 (R Mid / MidBass) - Dirac 4
Output 5 (Subwoofer) - Dirac 5

At that point you can start Dirac Live from the menu option at the top and take your measurements. You'll then need to go back to the MiniDSP plug in and enable your crossovers. If you get stuck, lots of really knowledgeable people here so you'll get answers and help (sometimes even via TeamViewer) fairly quickly.

I did another ground up tune using this new method last night trying some different measurement positions. Again, I grouped the Sub & Midbass in Dirac and "cascaded" the xover filters. The results are repeatable so far: Cohesive sound all the way through the spectrum. Attack/Decay of kick drums is fast & location is defined & up front on the dash.
Did a similar thing this morning, I was in a bit of a rush so think I messed up a little on the tweeter crossovers / biquads so I ended up just enabling my normal crossover (even though I used a 1KHz one for the Dirac sweeps). After a very brief, as in literally 2 minutes demo, it is definitely a repeatable and fairly quick process to get set up. I've not used REW to measure the response of the drivers at this point, nor have I used any AutoEQ, instead I just applied a quick low shelf and high shelf filter. I'll listen like that for a few days and then decide whether to try and change anything, or just leave it for November.

·
Registered
33 Posts

I would like to note that I've tried many 7ch tunes in the past and they have always seamed less "spacious" and natural sounding than a typical 2ch tune. Well that is not happening with this method - the spaciousness/naturalness on both of these tunes rival some of the best 2ch results I've achieved.

It is a little tricky working with REW AutoEQ to shape to the final curve... a mix of AutoEQ peak filters and manual shelf filters has been needed to achieve what I'm after. And last nights tune left me wanting for more than 10 EQ filters so I split them up into Sub/MBass & Mid/Tweets groups to gain more filters. I made sure any shelfs were on both groups but the peak filters I split between them. For example: if there is a peak filter at 32hz - I would only apply that to the Sub/Midbass group because it's phase effect doesn't reach up into the midrange passband... And vice versa. Some filters are shared between the groups like say a peak filter within 1.5-2 octaves of the xover point between the midbass & midrange so it's phase effect will apply to both groups. It's not a cut & dry process - need to be smart about it. So one drawback is the ability to simply manipulate the target in Dirac to adjust tonality.
I need someone like you nearby to help me tune my car.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I need someone like you nearby to help me tune my car.
Where are you located?

But, what problems are you having? The 8x12 DL is pretty simple to get a decent sounding tune right off the bat. For example mine has no pre-EQ, with the multi channel that is currently being tried I did not set levels or TA. I just set up the Routing and Mixer tabs, ran Dirac, took the default curve, back into the plug in and enabled crossovers then set a low shelf and a high shelf filter. Done.

I'll probably try using REW and AutoEQ to tailor it to a particular curve at some point, but I'm not even sure I need to do that yet as it sounds good with the default curve and the low / high shelf filters applied.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Reactions: Truthunter

·
Registered
33 Posts
Where are you located?

But, what problems are you having? The 8x12 DL is pretty simple to get a decent sounding tune right off the bat. For example mine has no pre-EQ, with the multi channel that is currently being tried I did not set levels or TA. I just set up the Routing and Mixer tabs, ran Dirac, took the default curve, back into the plug in and enabled crossovers then set a low shelf and a high shelf filter. Done.

I'll probably try using REW and AutoEQ to tailor it to a particular curve at some point, but I'm not even sure I need to do that yet as it sounds good with the default curve and the low / high shelf filters applied.
Agree that MiniDSP is easy and straight forward. No problems there and getting really good sound. My issue fine tuning my system.
I have been rereading the manuals, realizing mistakes I’ve made and following this thread picking up tips along the way. I am at a standstill right until I replace my sub amp. Once I knock that out (hopefully tonight), I am going to give it a another go.

Reactions: naiku

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Thanks! I will definitely keep that event in mind.
If you can make it out it would be well worth it, it's about 3 hours from you (I'm about 2 hours North from where you are) and is always an excellent time. The park the meet is at we have been to a few times now, it's a great location for a meet right off the highway.

What will be really beneficial to you... I believe there will be at least 4 people there running the same DSP, possibly more. Hope you can make it down, or in your case, across.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Hey anyone heard of the 8x12 OLED going out ? Then working , then not working ..... ?

a fix ?
Haven't had that issue occur. Firmware updated?

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Here's the latest measured response after I re-ran a multi channel yesterday, I've not had much time to listen but so far so good. This is the default Dirac curve, then a low shelf filter at 100hz / +7dB / 0.7 and a high shelf at 3.5KHz / -1dB / 0.7.

Rectangle Slope Plot Line Font

I'm going to drive around for a bit with this and try at various volume levels, typically I only experience harshness at the louder volume levels. I'm also debating putting rear fill back in, but am still unable to find any Volvo D-pillars, so am reluctant to have PVC cups attached with velcro in the trunk again.

But, the results of the multi channel method are repeatable and very quick to set up.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
Here's the latest measured response after I re-ran a multi channel yesterday, I've not had much time to listen but so far so good. This is the default Dirac curve, then a low shelf filter at 100hz / +7dB / 0.7 and a high shelf at 3.5KHz / -1dB / 0.7.

View attachment 313621

I'm going to drive around for a bit with this and try at various volume levels, typically I only experience harshness at the louder volume levels. I'm also debating putting rear fill back in, but am still unable to find any Volvo D-pillars, so am reluctant to have PVC cups attached with velcro in the trunk again.

But, the results of the multi channel method are repeatable and very quick to set up.
Dood, that looks frikking good AF ....
That sir is a hella smooth response... dammm

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
So there’s two people here that have mentioned something about harshness...

I have not experienced harshness at all whatsoever when I had an 8 x 12 or with my rig right now

do you think it could be maybe from analog input and the input is saturating?
A DC overloads sound like saturation or harshness in the high frequency, but you would hear it in the low frequency before the high frequency, although that all depends on the gain structure.

someone is experiencing harshness but using digital or analog input please let me know because it should not be harsh at all it should be really really smooth all the way through the volume

I’m curious what input is and what input voltages are being used if analog

one of the ppl I know use a heigh10 with optical. So it’s not that.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Mine is using optical as well, I have had some time to listen to that tune posted above and so far it sounds excellent. I've not noticed any harshness (yet) but we'll see. Looking closely there is a rise about 1.75KHz through 3KHz, going to try using REW AutoEQ to bring that down either today or tomorrow.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Mine is using optical as well, I have had some time to listen to that tune posted above and so far it sounds excellent. I've not noticed any harshness (yet) but we'll see. Looking closely there is a rise about 1.75KHz through 3KHz, going to try using REW AutoEQ to bring that down either today or tomorrow.
What's your xover frequency for mid/twt?

One thing that's concerned me about this method is that unless you are using a completely flat target curve your acoustic xover frequency is not going to match the electrical because of the tilt. The lower frequency will always be at a somewhat higher level which will result in your acoustic xover being somewhat higher than the electrical, which then means you are not getting a true LR4 alignment where you are net zero at the xover frequency which could lead to a hump in the xover region. Maybe I'm thinking about this all wrong(probably), but I thought one of the main benefits behind this method was to get as close to a textbook LR4 alignment as possible so you have perfect summation and phase relationships? Note, I have not actually tried this yet and am only referring to the theory.

81 - 100 of 236 Posts