DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up guys, I'm sort of new here but I figure there's people out there who are wondering about the NEW Sundown Audio E8 v3.. Well I pre-ordered mine from SundownOnly.com December 9th, arrived today (Jan. 3rd.) What can I say? AMAZING. Great sounding subwoofer. I have built a box for a JBL GTO8, 0.66 cubes tuned to 35hz that the E8 v3 will go in. The E8 v3 is one hell of an 8 at a unbelievable price! Sounds very clean at all volumes on rock, rap, dubstep, pop & R&B. Hits low lows with ease. Its running off a Rockford Fosgate P200.2 bridged (200x1 @ 4 ohms). GO GRAB YOURSELF ONE. I have 2 youtube vids of it atm.
Here's my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.c...r8?feature=mhee
Sundown has done it again with another amazing subwoofer!!
I will also upload photos of this and one vs the JBL GTO804 (no comparison haha, sounds way better)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Clear something up for me regarding the e series. I was told the E series are less power handling and more suited to sealed vs. say the sa line? People say if you have power go SA and those will be ported, if you like sealed response and have less power, go E series. Any truth to this?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey guys sorry for not responding, I forgot to lol.. So I would like to inform you guys that, this monster needed more power :D so I decided to hook up my Soundstream TX1.1300D to it and wire it to 4 ohms (520 watts) and.......................... HOLY CRAP!! Night and day compared to 200 watts. Takes the power like a champ! Sounded way better, it loves the lows I have my gain down and just using my bass knob and I have the bass up a lil on the H.U. SO MUCH BETTER! Very impressed!! Also uploaded a vid to my channel (LowLifeHater8).

And the YouTube vid link is:
Sundown Audio E8 v3 Playing Psyph Morrison - Say She Wanna - YouTube
And Jacob, you are awesome for making a great woofer at a amazing price!! May get another and use an aero port instead to keep the box down in size and wire @ 1 ohm (1300 watts, little under it but still enough to make these move)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Clear something up for me regarding the e series. I was told the E series are less power handling and more suited to sealed vs. say the sa line? People say if you have power go SA and those will be ported, if you like sealed response and have less power, go E series. Any truth to this?
I'm not 100% sure if true but I know the SA's prefer ported while the SD series are made to be killer sealed subs.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have pretty much decided on these vs the Alpine Rs. They are going in a Jeep TJ, so the space is tight and will need a sealed box. Any folks here running them sealed? I will have about 500 watts available via the JBL GTO-5EZ.

Alternatively, I can fit a ported box, but need help with the design. I figured 34"X8"X10.5" (WxHxD) is about 1.1ft^3.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I too wonder about the Sundown subs in sealed enclosures. I've been around the web researching and see mostly people saying "they've heard" that they are designed for ported, and won't work well in sealed. I'm tired of seeing "I've heard" though and would like to get a definitive answer from Sundown.

For instance, on their site it shows a "recommended" sealed volume for the SA-8v2's...but all I see is people saying they won't do well in sealed.

I'd like to know which series (if any) of the Sundown subs is suited BEST to sealed or designed for sealed.

I have nothing against ported alignments. I'm in the midst of designing/building a new f'glass enclosure for the rear quarter of my 4Runner, and would rather leave it sealed if I can.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I too wonder about the Sundown subs in sealed enclosures. I've been around the web researching and see mostly people saying "they've heard" that they are designed for ported, and won't work well in sealed. I'm tired of seeing "I've heard" though and would like to get a definitive answer from Sundown.

For instance, on their site it shows a "recommended" sealed volume for the SA-8v2's...but all I see is people saying they won't do well in sealed.

I'd like to know which series (if any) of the Sundown subs is suited BEST to sealed or designed for sealed.

I have nothing against ported alignments. I'm in the midst of designing/building a new f'glass enclosure for the rear quarter of my 4Runner, and would rather leave it sealed if I can.
From what I understand, the SA series is better for ported. the E series will work fine for sealed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pn9DMH6xzRU

Look into the SD series, I recall Jacob saying they are specifically built for sealed and will work good ported. There is a video of the SD-2 8s (Prototype) by Jacob on YouTube in a hatchback and they were slammin. If you got the money, go with the SD-2 8's cause its more suited for smaller and sealed enclosures.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pn9DMH6xzRU

·
Registered
50 Posts
Badass. I am starting to wonder if 2 8's is gonna be too much. Maybe a single 10 would be a better option. Eh...F-it.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Badass. I am starting to wonder if 2 8's is gonna be too much. Maybe a single 10 would be a better option. Eh...F-it.
That's my other unknown at this point. I have two 8's right now sharing 1.4 cubes @ 33hz, but it takes up real estate in my cargo area that I can use for other purposes. That's the reason for building a rear quarter f'glass box. In planning for that box, I had wondered if I should just go with a single 12 or even two 12's for that matter (I could fit it). If I stuck with 8's, I could easily add another to total three. At this point it's a guess, but I should have between 1.1 & 1.7 cubes available depending how the front face of the enclosure ends up shaped.

·
Registered
52 Posts

Then slap together a mock box and try it? It will cost all of what? 15 bucks worth of mdf?

On my sa8 v2 i started with a sealed box to the recommended size of 0.25 plus 0.08 for sub displacement. It wound up actually being about 0.35.

Result? I plaid it for about twenty minutes. Never hearing this sub before, as well as not hearing that particular amp play in over 5 years, my gut feeling was it had decent response, and would play some low notes, but the spl just didn't seem to be there. The amp was dimming my dome light but it wasn't very loud. If this was the mid 90s i would say it was a decent performing sub, about what i would have expected out of a ten back then.
Then i built the ported enclosure. I would have loved for the sealed to sound anywhere close to the ported because the ported box and my amps take up all of the storage area in my cab so driving anywhere now is a pain. But the sound is nowhere close. The ported box is much louder. Id need more drivers and much more power to get the same sound levels out of the sealed box

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
50 Posts
Boosted-

How big is the ported box? I could go ported, but I must admit. I have never dealt with ported enclosures. Sealed is easy, which is why I have always gone that route. I could get to the .5 ft^3 per sub for a total of 1ft^3 with a box 34WX8.5HX10D and fire the subs into the back of the seat. The actual port is the problem for me.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Boosted-

How big is the ported box? I could go ported, but I must admit. I have never dealt with ported enclosures. Sealed is easy, which is why I have always gone that route. I could get to the .5 ft^3 per sub for a total of 1ft^3 with a box 34WX8.5HX10D and fire the subs into the back of the seat. The actual port is the problem for me.
Always is in small ported applications. Have you looked at a PR setup?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts