DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive had the dayton ho 12's for about 2 months now (I think?). These are killer woofers none the lease, and for the price, I would reccomend them to anybody! Ive been runing them off of a hifonics 1505, getting about 400-500 watts each in a ported 3.0cuft enclosure. The SQ was awsome, however, the output just wasnt what I was hoping for.

I know most of you are sound quality oriented, and I am as well. The problem for me was the driver's sound quality at higher volumes, i feel that they really start to die quick when you really start to push them. This may be fine in a small luxury car, however, in a lifted chevy with a loud exhaust, they just didnt do it for me.

What could have made them better:

2ohms. That way I could run my amp at 1 ohm and get more power to them, its hard to find good power at 4 ohms, hell, even 2 ohms.

8". They would be a kick ass midbass if they were available in 8" size. Im tempted to try to make a pair of 10"s fit.

They are being replaced with a pair of Soundsplinter RLP 12" woofers. I will give them a fair comparison, however, its kind of comparing apples to oranges, especially since the rlps will be getting 1200 watts each, and will be sealed.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Any responses/arguments are welcome :)

BTW, i just bought 2 ho's for my home theater, and 2 more for my girlsfriends' car :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
I would love to hear your outcome. I am looking for a good SQL sub but I am trying to stay away from name brand. I have been looking at the Resonant Engineering SE, and the Atlas 12"

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Stumbo said:
The SQ was awsome, however, the output just wasnt what I was hoping for.
Sounds exactly why I was hesistant on picking them for my girlfriends car. Thanks for the confirmation :D

GL with new setup.

-aaron

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Stumbo said:
They are being replaced with a pair of Soundsplinter RLP 12" woofers. I will give them a fair comparison, however, its kind of comparing apples to oranges, especially since the rlps will be getting 1200 watts each, and will be sealed.
are you taking out the back seat? The reason I am going with the 12HOs is because the are shallow mount and work well in small sealed enclosures, which fits nicely under the rear seats in my lifted Chevy with loud exhaust...I too am looking to get one of the new Assault Series 12s from AA when they come out, but the mounting depth may be a factor...we will see.

The Dayton will get 880 watts 4ohm via my bridged DLS A3, so I think that may be enough clean power to make it sing. I was thinking to go with 0.6 cu feet sealed.

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
I can think of a 12" that's same box size as Dayton HO 12", a lil nicer bl curve, same inductance, and double the excursion at only a few bucks more :)

·
Registered
578 Posts
I don't see any SPL numbers... what was the best reading you got?
Also that box sounds rather large for the HO.
I would have opted for about .75 sealed for each sub & 1000watts to each.
That sould give you well into 140dbs from 2 12" & if that isn't loud enough, get your hearing checked. ;)

I'd probably opt for the DIY 12" over the SS because with npdang you'll have test data on it you'll likely never get from SS, unless its been tested here & I didn't see it in the reviews. But like you said... I'm into SQ & SPL is not a priority.

My .02...

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
racerraul said:
I don't see any SPL numbers... what was the best reading you got?
Also that box sounds rather large for the HO.
I would have opted for about .75 sealed for each sub & 1000watts to each.
That sould give you well into 140dbs from 2 12" & if that isn't loud enough, get your hearing checked. ;)

I'd probably opt for the DIY 12" over the SS because with npdang you'll have test data on it you'll likely never get from SS, unless its been tested here & I didn't see it in the reviews. But like you said... I'm into SQ & SPL is not a priority.

My .02...

Hmmm, I thought that was you...short little cuban/mexican man!!

Whats been going on with you? Haven't heard anything about the monthly GTGs in a while.

Here's a question for ya (since it seems you're running the daytons, right?) Would a HO 10 work in like .65 cubes sealed off my LP 2.2hv (600-800 watts rms)

Like you, I prefer SQ over spl and just want a little lowend output over what I have now (nothing)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dont get me wrong guys, watt for watt, these drivers do put out some pressure. The problem is, its hard to find an affordable amp that will put out 2kw at 2ohms. Thats why i mentioned that they would be awsome if they were available in a 2ohm version.

BTW, it was in a ported box tuned to 28hz.

Azgrower - Going in a single cab silverado :). fibre glass is your friend.

·
Registered
578 Posts
bass_lover1 said:
Hmmm, I thought that was you...short little cuban/mexican man!!
Hey hey... EZ with the cuban/mexican shtuff... And you forgot bald, damn it ;)

Whats been going on with you? Haven't heard anything about the monthly GTGs in a while.
Really? Who are you? We just had one tonight (Dec 17th)... Thought I had everyone on my Car Audio Nizzles list... Sorry If I somehow missed ya.

Here's a question for ya (since it seems you're running the daytons, right?) Would a HO 10 work in like .65 cubes sealed off my LP 2.2hv (600-800 watts rms)
Yes... you could even go .5 or smaller IIRC...

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
racerraul said:
Hey hey... EZ with the cuban/mexican shtuff... And you forgot bald, damn it ;)

Really? Who are you? We just had one tonight (Dec 17th)... Thought I had everyone on my Car Audio Nizzles list... Sorry If I somehow missed ya.

Yes... you could even go .5 or smaller IIRC...

Ahhh, right right I knew I missed something.

I met you guys up at the Sound Advice show back in the summer but haven't had a chance to meet up again after that...I drive the Passat.

Cool cool...I'm not sure if I want a 10 or 12 though...and since there is only 10 dollars difference between the two, I might opt for the 12.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Stumbo said:
Azgrower - Going in a single cab silverado :). fibre glass is your friend.
Yup, thats the single best craft I could have picked up...opportunities are endless once you learn how to fglass... :D

·
Registered
578 Posts
bass_lover1 said:
Ahhh, right right I knew I missed something.

I met you guys up at the Sound Advice show back in the summer but haven't had a chance to meet up again after that...I drive the Passat.

Cool cool...I'm not sure if I want a 10 or 12 though...and since there is only 10 dollars difference between the two, I might opt for the 12.
We can hook up any time you want.. let me know... & I would opt for the 12" HO in a .8 box with that much power.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
racerraul said:
We can hook up any time you want.. let me know... & I would opt for the 12" HO in a .8 box with that much power.

Yea, for 10 bucks more than the 10"...i'll probably go that route. I'll let you know, if you're down helping me do a fiberglass install, It's always a good idea to find someone with more experience than your self, and since I've never done glass before ;). You should still have my emai, but if not it's phultonATgmailDOTcom. LMK when you guys have another get together, I'm slowly getting back into car audio now that I've put more money into my PC than I care to mention.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Stumbo said:
They are being replaced with a pair of Soundsplinter RLP 12" woofers.

:) Daytons were already sold

There is no comparison as far as output. Sq seems just as good, if not better, than the daytons. However, the daytons were ported, the new woofers are sealed, and the new woofers are getting about 3x the power that the daytons were as well, so I dont think its really fair to compare them at this point.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts