DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum here, but not to car audio or high end audio. Looking to use an actively triamped 3 way front stage. Considering Morel tweeters and Peerless 4" midrange drivers and a 6-7" midbass. There are so many out there (scan speak, seas, vifa, peerless, morel....) that I was wondering what had been used. I know that the in car automotive requirement is harder to pick drivers for vs. in home. What are some that are worth considering? Seems crazy to buy a pre-packaged 3 way set when I can make a 3 way set with better products, for less cost. For example, I love the sound of the new Focal K2 comps, but for alot less than $1000, I could build an incredible 3 way set. Even if I went with Morel Supreme tweeters (at $300+ per pair). I know that I might be limited based on the common 8 ohm imp. of the drivers. That is not that big of an issue. I am factoring it in when considering necessary amplifier power.

Thanks!

· Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
npdang said:
Alot of good choices.

For 7" midbass, really there is no better buy Imho than the Seas L18/CA18/G18 series. You simply can't find better mid/bass, and the midrange and build quality is very good, just a cut below some of the best (and most expensive).

Midrange, I think the best buys are the Aura ns3. That's such a clean and smooth sounding midrange.

Tweeters... really so many to chose from. Personal preference really, but I like the Vifa xt19.
thanks for the tips.

FWIW, I strongly prefer some sort of soft dome tweeter. The Focal Utopia Be were the only hard dome tweeters I liked, but don't think I want to fork over that sort of cash.

-edit-

just looked at the ns3. I like those. I have looked at them before for home speakers. Now I just have to figure out a way to get an amp that won't overpower them.

· Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
npdang said:
Midrange, I think the best buys are the Aura ns3. That's such a clean and smooth sounding midrange

would a 75x2 amp (4 ohm rating) be too much power on these? I know I don't need an amp with that much power, I have just have one in mind that I really like that is rated like that.

Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.