DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so i do everything I can in home audio, and its not too difficult. Like making my own RCAs, speaker cables with cat5 network cables etc.

Now I have been researching of upgrading my own car audio system, something i have never done before.

And when I was looking at all the components, I see that amps and HUs need 'installation kits', pretty self explanatory, but as I look at those installation kits more, I wonder how much of them I can make myself.

For example lets look at a standard '4 AWG amp installation kit'
Complete 4 Gauge Amplifier Kit (powerkit4) 4 Gauge Amplifier Wiring Kits Amplifier Installation Car Accessories and Installation Car Audio and Video - Sonic Electronix

I know i can make the speaker cables and RCAs from cat5, and they will even beat the sound of very expensive cables (this is true for home audio at least)

TNT tripleT
Piano 6/1 DIY interconnects [English]

but what about the 4AWG power and grounding cables? I know in DIY home audio people make their own cat5 power cables for their amps. But no one seem to do it for car audio? or at least I can't find them.

The TNT - TTS DIY mains cable

So I wonder if I can make my own 'amp installation kit' instead of paying $40 for some generic mass market rubbish.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Power wire is available by the foot in pretty much any gauge, in all types of quality.
If you're meaning laying out bare copper and making your own shielding, I don't have much input on that...

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Amp kits are just there for convenience. You can definitely piece it together yourself if you have all the items. Customizing is the way to go since a.) you already have half the items and b.) you can choose exactly what you need. You'll just need to do a little bit of research to get what you need.

Power and ground cables are the same wire... just different colors on the sleeve.

For the other items, I don't know how much skill you have but you'll need a fuse holder, fuses, and possibly a d-block if you have more than 1 amp. You'll also need to buy ring terminals and conduit/split loom separately.

What are you installing exactly?

·
Registered
951 Posts
Some people use welding cable for power and ground, I've never done this, but this is off the beaten path from using "car audio specific" power and ground so may be considered DIY. Keep in mind when looking to purchase power and ground cable you will see all sorts of nonsense about strand counts, etc. (just like marketing propaganda with esoteric interconnects in home audio). Things such as this seem to provide little to no benefit with regard to conductance, but do help with flexibility of the wire. I'm not sure if that's what you are looking for, but my $.02 none the less.

As far as everything else that comes in the install kits, you can make your own RCAs (as you seem to be familiar with), purchase bulk speaker and remote wire, wire terminals, and find a fuse holder and fuse at pretty much any car audio or electronics store or online (a lot of people on here like knukonceptz on ebay, I have used his product personally and find it to be very high quality for the price).

·
Registered
115 Posts
The Cat5 idea for RCA wire is a great idea because it gets rid of shielding that potential acts as a giant antenna for noise, while utilizing twisted pairs for noise rejection. I would however recommend you use the correct AWG power wire and fuse, so as not to light up your vehicle in smelly smelly smoke and flames. 8-0 gauge based on your power requirements. Remember 12v pulls a lot more current than 120. P=IV

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
The Cat5 idea for RCA wire is a great idea because it gets rid of shielding that potential acts as a giant antenna for noise, while utilizing twisted pairs for noise rejection. I would however recommend you use the correct AWG power wire and fuse, so as not to light up your vehicle in smelly smelly smoke and flames. 8-0 gauge based on your power requirements. Remember 12v pulls a lot more current than 120. P=IV

I happened to find this link...

Cat5 cables vs RCA cables in car stereo

I'm not a bright man and I'm certainly learning. Is this "test" bogus?

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
It would seem like a simple fix though...throw some insulation around the Cat5 or just purchase insulated Cat5 and you now have a great RCA cable on the cheap...or am I stupid? The properties seem to be there; copper, twisted, and some in case **** happens shielding.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts