DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
aren't blackhole tiles just a piece of mlv sandwiched between a thick and a thin piece of ccf? any reason not to diy them for cheaper other than dealing with how to adhere the layers?(non issue if you have contact cement spray like we used in the shop for carpeting back in the day).

with mlv everyone says to go as far as gluing seams to reduce noise leakage, so having a unsealed seam seems like something that could be significantly improved upon, or does it just not matter than much irl?

·
Registered
18,990 Posts
No. They are 5 layers total. There is an automotive adhesive on the bottom, some sort of stiff constraining layer above that, 1/8" acoustic open cell foam, 1/8" MLV, then 1" open cell acoustic foam again. What makes them usable in a car door is that once they are made, they are treated with a chemical that makes them waterproof enough to handle doors for the life of the car without water getting into the open cell foam. Closed cell foam is nearly useless for absorption, which is the main point of this product. And frankly, if you value your time, even a little bit, making these yourself would not even be worth it in my opinion. Would you really spend 4 hours and 100 bucks on material doing something that won't work as well as the real thing, which would cost about $200? Me, hell no lol.

With a noise barrier, you want to overlap. Any leak will take away from the end result.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the clarification nick, sooooo.... when you going to make an all in one with resonix on the bottom layer 😅

·
Registered
412 Posts
No. They are 5 layers total. There is an automotive adhesive on the bottom, some sort of stiff constraining layer above that, 1/8" acoustic open cell foam, 1/8" MLV, then 1" open cell acoustic foam again. What makes them usable in a car door is that once they are made, they are treated with a chemical that makes them waterproof enough to handle doors for the life of the car without water getting into the open cell foam. Closed cell foam is nearly useless for absorption, which is the main point of this product. And frankly, if you value your time, even a little bit, making these yourself would not even be worth it in my opinion. Would you really spend 4 hours and 100 bucks on material doing something that won't work as well as the real thing, which would cost about $200? Me, hell no lol.

With a noise barrier, you want to overlap. Any leak will take away from the end result.
thank you for your input and time here

1 - 4 of 4 Posts