DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Keepin' It Old School
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure many of you out there have built portable stereos or "boomboxes" and I thought it would be cool to make a thread so we can showoff our creations :D

I recently made a "toolbox boombox" and have plans for more boombox projects in the near future.

Here is a pic of the box:

Here is a pic with the subwoofer addon:

Current components include:

1) Alpine CDA-9813 CD/MP3/WMA Head Unit with V-Drive Amp
2) MB Quart FKA-116 6.5" 2-ways
3) 12v 11Ah Sealed Lead Acid Battery
4) Analog Volt Gauge
5) Alpine Aux Input for 9813
6) 21" Rubbermaid Plastic Toolbox
7) 12v lighted toggle switch
8) Dual Binding Post Speaker Output Terminals

Subwoofer Addon includes:

1) (2) 8" Dayton Audio SD215A-88 DVC Subwoofers
2) (1) 10" Definitive Technology Passive Radiator
3) Rockford Fosgate Punch 45HD Amplifier
4) 12v 35Ah Sealed Lead Acid Battery
5) 12v lighted toggle switch
6) Box made from 5/8" MDF, sprayed with Truck bed liner coating

See the build on YouTube:

Watch on YouTube in HD or embedded below:

YouTube - Custom Toolbox Boombox V2.0 - Portable Car Stereo Ghettoblaster! - Part 2

Also, see the subwoofer Addon:

Watch on YouTube in HD or embedded below:

YouTube - Custom Toolbox Boombox v3 - Subwoofer Addon

Now, let's see those creations!

---:pepper:

·
Keepin' It Old School
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
nice; how long will it play and how do you intend to charge it?
4 hours at about 75% volume with external speakers connected. I charge the device using a "battery tender" type charger from Harbor Freight Tools.

I made a video showing the playback time as well :D:

(the boombox itself, have not done a drain test on the subwoofer component)

---

·
Keepin' It Old School
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bump...anyone else have a creation to share?

I also failed to mention, the subwoofer portion was made to fit perfectly on a foldable "Magna Cart" along with the toolbox.

I added some sound dampening material to the inside of the toolbox, but it still rattles quite a bit when the volume is cranked.

I'm working on designs for a new boombox, based on the following "old school" components:

- Alpine 7903 CD Tuner "Pull-Out"
- Rockford Fosgate PA-1HD Pre-Amp/EQ/Input Switcher (so I can connect an iPod via RCA's)
- RF OEQ-1 for fine tuning the sound (maybe)
- RF Punch 45HD or Phoenix Gold MPS-2240
- PAC TM-100 Tri-Mode Passive X-over (or maybe the PG version)
- Boston Acoustics Pro 5.4 separates
- JL Audio 8W1 or MTX Blue Thunder 10" BTW-1044 (I think the 10" may be too big)
- 12v 11ah battery - same as I'm using in the toolbox boombox

Yeah, portable and all of those components is going to be a challenge. I was thinking about integrating wheels and a handle on the box so it could be rolled around instead of carried.

I'm thinking MDF for the sub portion, but maybe the rest from fiberglass to keep the weight down. Maybe some plexi for showing off the BA's beauty? I also considered a Phoenix Gold MPS-2240 (showing off the guts), but that amp is MUCH heavier than the RF P45HD. I'd like to keep the sub on the same structure as the separates, meaning it would end up being one "box" and not 2 separated enclosures.

Ideas, comments, suggestions, etc. appreciated!

---

·
Registered
265 Posts
yeah the hole is for an eminence 3015lf.... i built the "ss15" it should do about 125-130db...i don't think anyone will have a louder radio on the beach lol

and just the cabinet loaded with the sub is 50lbs. with the amps, the head unit, cooling fans, wiring etc it should be about 80. but with two handles, one on each side, 40lbs each person is nothing, so it shouldn't be bad at all.

and don't get me started with the batteries, those are a pain to carry! i use deka 904 or 908d i forget the number but they are 100lbs each lol

·
Registered
265 Posts
ohh and suggestion for your boombox, dont use mdf! use ply its so much lighter! maybe build some small tapped horns for the sub portion, they are fun!

·
Keepin' It Old School
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
a lil something i'm working on....my beach radio project :D

I can't think of a better way to ensure you'll have some privacy at your beach spot. I'm guessing you don't have any "noise pollution" laws to contend with? :eek:

---

·
Registered
265 Posts
I can't think of a better way to ensure you'll have some privacy at your beach spot. I'm guessing you don't have any "noise pollution" laws to contend with? :eek:

---
lol nah everyone loves it! we have created a legend at the beach on sundays over the summer here! its funny people i dont even know are like hey youre the beach radio guy lol but yeah i wanted to re-do the radio for this summer and what was supposed to be a small project using all my spare audio gear is now about a $1k project, i think im retarded sometimes lol but it should be fun!!

·
Keepin' It Old School
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ohh and suggestion for your boombox, dont use mdf! use ply its so much lighter! maybe build some small tapped horns for the sub portion, they are fun!
Great recommendations! Can you link to one of those horns you are referencing?

---

·
Registered
265 Posts
well each horn is driver specific, and it needs to be simulated in hornresp. diyaudio.com and go to the subwoofer forum, they are crazy there lol

anyway if you don't already have the driver for the sub portion, and want to use a tapped horn, there are plenty of threads on there that have designs with simulations and real life tests in different Pi spaces so you know exactly what you will come out with!

·
Keepin' It Old School
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
lol nah everyone loves it! we have created a legend at the beach on sundays over the summer here! its funny people i dont even know are like hey youre the beach radio guy lol but yeah i wanted to re-do the radio for this summer and what was supposed to be a small project using all my spare audio gear is now about a $1k project, i think im retarded sometimes lol but it should be fun!!
I think it is cool when people actually build and create stuff rather than buying crap already assembled. I haven't actually used my boombox (w/ sub) outdoors yet, but was planning to at my next outdoor theater night...

---

·
Keepin' It Old School
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well each horn is driver specific, and it needs to be simulated in hornresp. diyaudio.com and go to the subwoofer forum, they are crazy there lol

anyway if you don't already have the driver for the sub portion, and want to use a tapped horn, there are plenty of threads on there that have designs with simulations and real life tests in different Pi spaces so you know exactly what you will come out with!
I'll check it out, thanks. Learn something new everyday! :D

---

·
Registered
997 Posts
Great recommendations! Can you link to one of those horns you are referencing?
Tapped-horns can produce a lot of output, but they also tend to be a bit on the big side (not usually a problem for pro audio use, where the emphasis is usually first on output, then portability).

For a small (e.g. handheld) portable system, designing a suitable high-efficiency but small TH could be a challenge. Hmm... perhaps I'd start by looking for a fairly small driver (5.25~6.5", Fs around 60 Hz, Qts around 0.4, decent Xmax, even better if DVC (though not likely to get in that size).

1 - 20 of 48 Posts