DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to buy a dashmat then thought I might be able to dim. I've already got more than enough carpet. So who's done it? Just curious.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I've contemplated getting mine recovered in something like Alancantara, but one that **** is expensive, and two removing the dash on my car to cover the entire thing properly is a pain in the ass, so I just live with the dash mat, they're only like 25 bucks, and they look really nice IMO.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
I've contemplated getting mine recovered in something like Alancantara, but one that **** is expensive, and two removing the dash on my car to cover the entire thing properly is a pain in the ass, so I just live with the dash mat, they're only like 25 bucks, and they look really nice IMO.
For $25 buck it's not worth the effort.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Unless you have tons of materials laying around and an industrial sewing machine itching to get used.;)

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
No I definitely wouldn't do that job my self, I'd pay a professional for it, but it's not really cost effective when Alacantara is upwards of $25 a foot.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have a dashmat. my only problem is the wind will catch an edge and flip it up some times....thinking about putting some ensolite on the backside to weigh it down a bit....but I might just make a new one using suede.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good to know JOne. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I have a dashmat. my only problem is the wind will catch an edge and flip it up some times....thinking about putting some ensolite on the backside to weigh it down a bit....but I might just make a new one using suede.
Uhh, did you use the Velcro that came with it? Mine would flip in the air like that when I was letting it form to my dash, but once in place with the Velcro it doesn't move an inch.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Uhh, did you use the Velcro that came with it? Mine would flip in the air like that when I was letting it form to my dash, but once in place with the Velcro it doesn't move an inch.
uh

yep, but it obviously needs to be replaced....which is why I don't like the idea of Velcro.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
uh

yep, but it obviously needs to be replaced....which is why I don't like the idea of Velcro.

Mine holds just fine. I used the two 6 or 8" sections they gave me, cut them into smaller pieces and placed them towards the edges. I also had some of that industrial strength stuff I got from the local hardware store, holds it in place no problems.

It might just be my dash, but in my experience, the goo from the sticky side of the Velcro doesn't leave any residue behind, if you ever decide to remove it.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I fastened the dash mat in my Volvo using a couple of packs of self-adhesive Velcro from the dollar store cut into small pieces. The Velcro shipped with the mat wasn't enough, but with the $2 worth I bought the mat never moved.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I made mine out of a fiberglass base, foam and covered it in suede. It does that job but I would go back and do the dash mat next time. I know mine definately looks better, but it really did take alot of time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts