DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
2K views 8 replies 2 participants last post by  ZaiLH 
#1 ·
DIY Front Stage 2007 Saab 93 Convertible

:book2::book2::book2:
Hi! Amazing forum! Been reading up on car audio on here for the last month and i feel I'm at a point now where i really could need some help/feedback. Please let me know if i posted in wrong forum.

Ive attached an overview photo of speaker locations in car. What I’m aiming to do is go for a 3-way active with sub, using stock locations for 1”, 3.5”, 6.5” and 10”, i marked these as green circles.

I broke the project down to 3stages. Replace OEM Car amps (stage 1), OEM speakers (stage 2) and if not satisfied, DSP (stage 3). My budget is $800 for each stage and i prefer buying used to get most value.

Stock system sounds pretty bad and once i put roof down and drive >50mph it completely goes away. I listen to 90% Dylan, Springsteen, Clapton, Killers etc and the rest 10% on random hits from radio so something with nice, good SQ.

Stage 1

Equipment:
JL XD1000/5v2
XD400/4v2(bridged)
Pioneer AVID D3 (F/R 50,80 or 125HPF)

I made a wire diagram and attached. Unless i did something wrong should give me:

Tweeter: 75W rms each, HPF from 500Hz-5kHz(AMP)
M-Range: 75W rms each, LPF 50-500(AMP) up to Tweeter
M-Bass: 150W rms each, HPF 50,80,125(AVIC D3) to 50-500(AMP).
Sub:600W rms, LPF 50-500(AMP)

Some questions:

1. Stage1, Think AMPS will work? Did i miss something in my logic, e.g. amp can't be used like that etc. Would come to $808 buying refurbished from creative audio.net.

2. Im at a complete blank for my stage 2 speaker upgrade...

sub: I have been thinking of IB10AU form AE speakers for sub, seems to work well as an IB. (Attached a pic how a sub would look installed). Also read on here jl 10w6v3 would be nice but hard to find used.
midR/tweet: Found a lot of good suggestions on tweeters/midrange on this forum but I'm unsure since i would be firing off-axis into windshield? Would really appreciate input here (attached photo of dash)
midBass: Been reading a lot on here and seems Peerless 830946 would be a good alternative, however i believe max depth is 3", might still try these with spacers but any suggestions below 3" would be better.

3. For DSP I'm thinking used p99rs, maybe overkill? Could use e.g. 80PRS and put $5-600 elsewhere.

Really appreciate taking the time to read!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
If any ops around please move it to appropriate part of forum!

Another nights pondering. Think i will end up with:

JL HD900/5 (used) $500?
JL HD600/4 (used) $400?
P99RS (used) $800?
JL C5-653 set (sell XOers) $530 (cheapest I've found online)
10w6v3 ($300used) or IB10AU.

"Problem" is feels like a bad ratio cost wise?

Speakers ~32%
AMPS ~36%
HU ~32%

Thoughts?

Thanks!

#4 ·
Now you do as you wish cause it is your money.

I liked my 80PRS so I think the 99 is probably very good. If I didn't need navigation the 99 was going to be the next one I bought.

Personally I pulled a JL audio 2 way set similar to them them out of a jeep. I got the set for 50 cents and I still wasn't impressed. They were good noisemakers. My 150 dollar 2 way setup source from PE blew them away in loudness and clarity. This was with my 80PRS. If you have to...well then do it up. I just don't know if I could drop $500 on them.

Anyways I just got these.
ScanSpeak Illuminator D2004/6020-00
SB Acoustics SB17NAC35-8

I built a box for some bench testing before I throw them in the car and the quality from this pair of speakers is freaking unbelievable. This mid in particular can handle mids like no other I've heard so far.

Now you'd need a mid driver for 3 way but I am sure someone can hook you up with a good mid driver.

AT THE LEAST I suggest you get the tweeters cause they are a work of magic. I've never heard clarity and string plucks like that before.

#6 ·
Yes I am. I hate the idea of using these in a door but I'm not hacking apart a shiny truck yet :p The idea is to start rolling off at 80-90 and then have the sub take over. I will need to get my mic and measure everything first. In a cabinet these seem good down to 70hz. With a simple eq profile I had them mostly flat. If you dug into things you could have it almost perfect.

My eventual plans are active 3 way but these mids seem good enough to start 2 way and then move up.

Hopefully more people chime in for you.

#8 ·
My amazing Alpine MRX-v70, the king of all amps :p

I am not sure what to expect TBH, I should have went with the 4 ohm version. I might be pushing 45W at best so I am going to be at 102ish DB. With the 4 ohm version I could have been @108db.

So if you are interested in that woofer I'd spend the extra few bucks and either get the 4 ohm or you could find an entirely different driver.

#9 ·
Found a complete different one...AGIN...:laugh:

Latest revision:

P99RS (bought this one!)

ScanSpeak Illuminator D2004/6020-00 $220
Scanspeak Discovery 10F/4424G $200
Stereo Integrity TM65 $300 (these i bought! the 2.6" deep sold me)

This would leave $100 for a Sub, maybe the 10F/8414 would be better, $60 cheaper.

Could maybe cut down on AMPS to keep budget, 75W/75W/150W + SUB enough for this setup? The JL xd series (not v2) can be found for quite cheap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.