DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
I'm sure none of you will be surprised that the 19 speaker B&O system in my Audi was terrible. The bass was dull and muddy. Mid bass was non existent, mids were harsh, and highs were very dull. They also had a 3D effect that made the system super bright and caused warbling on music with natural reverb (like someone singing in a large room). The system uses a lot of odd drivers so I decided the best approach was to pull every driver out, measure it, and then shop for replacements on places like Parts Express. Lots of folks in the Audi community helped out with feedback on their own upgrade projects. Eventually it grew into a guide which I published to the community to help out anyone looking to upgrade their B&O. The guide has been viewed over 150,000 times, so I'm going to say I'm not alone in feeling the sound system needs improvement. The goal of the guide is to educate about how the system works and suggest some possible upgrade paths. There are many paths one can take depending on part availability, budget, and what kind of sound you want in the end.

So here it is. I hope you find it useful in your audi upgrade journey
B9 B&O speaker upgrade guide

View attachment 317130
Good lawwwd that's a lot of speakers. These "premium stereo upgrades" are usually such hogwash. I've never heard a really good sounding one, although I havent experienced a ton. That's cool you made that guide to help others though man 🤙

·
Registered
326 Posts
I compared it to a car with the standard sound system and found that while they were upgraded drivers, it was upgrading a $1 speaker to a $2 speaker. But honestly I think if the car eliminated all the surround sound/center fill/3D height speakers, it would have been much better off. I disabled the 3D speakers entirely in mine. The previous generation B8 had far fewer drivers and was a significantly better system
That's what I was thinking too on the upgrade from $1 drivers to just slightttly higher. And ya man these companies put so damn many drivers in there that the reflections and dispersion patterns must be just insane. Although I cant really blame them. The general public's definitely of the understanding that the more speakers the better.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts