DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone,

I am still at a crossroads with what to get for a 3 way front stage. I have a 2009 vw GTI. Doors are deadened and sealed. I am going to put the drivers in the stock locations. The 6.5 location is firing basically at your hip. This location can fit up to an 8' and a mounting depth of about 4'. The 4' is in the middle of the door card and cant be too deep of a bottom mount. I believe max is 2 1/4'. and the tweeter will stay in the sail, off axis.

I will be using the stock head unit with a Clarion eqs-746 EQ, JBL gtx 427 active crossover, 2 10' kicker cvr with 1 cubic foot each in a sealed box. The amp for the subs is a Planet Audio tq 400.2.

The amp for the speaker will be either an A/D/S p850.2, alpine mrx-f30, or something completely new like something from PPI.

I heard Focal access 3 way and Hertz esk 163. I felt the Focal felt better with the mid bass, although I want more. Which is a main concern because of the crappy placement. This is why I was looking into making my own component set, I really want a very strong mid bass. I have read of using an 8' sub woofer as a mid bass, is this a bad idea?

I was looking into the Dayton RS225, RS100, and still don't have an idea on the tweeter. I have roughly $600 to spend on just the speakers. I am really leaning for the DIY method, how would this compare to the 'in a box' kit?

Thanks guys for any help.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
I think you are on the right track.
but you havent said enough about the crossovers.Is that a GTX47?
If your going active you dont have enough amp channels.
Daytons are decent but the 4 inchers are really inefficient.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, I have the gtx47 crossover that can allow me to go active. The ADS amp has 8 channels at 50w each. Many people said it usually produces about 80w per channel at 4 ohm. I dont mind getting other amps if necessary. I just want to get the best components for about $600. I have the Planet Audio amp just for the subs and the alpine mrx-f30 (4x50w) just laying around.

I was looking at the dayton 4' because of the lack of mounting depth I am working with.

So would a DIY set up be as good or better than a box set with crossovers i wont use? I local stereo shop suggested getting a 2 way focal and buying a 4' like the dayton. Yet another shop told me to stick to one brand or series of speakers so they work together easier.

This stuff gets confusing with trying to read up and talking to the local dealers.

Thanks for the replys

James

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
There was a review floating around in PDF format. The review was specially about drivers for mid range duty. One value driver that stood out, I believe was Dayton RS125 which was decidedly better than RS100. This may be worth looking up.

Another interesting option is to pick up a used Hybrid Audio L3 or L4. It seems like a lot of these are being sold as the owners upgrade to L3SE and L4SE. However, the older versions are still very good drivers, specially if you pair them with a tweeter. One of the advantages of the new SE series is that their upper end is so good, that they could work well enough on axis without any tweeters.

For the midbass duty, Peerless SLS woofers may be a good value. As for tweeter, a lot of cheaper tweeter would probably work well since you don't need a very high performance tweeter to blend with a 4inch midrange.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
You can also run 2 inch domes instead of 4's if you run the 8's up to around 700hz.
I took a pair of Morel CAM 558 and removed the cups from the back.they are only about 1 deep and handle 200 watts rms.
Just keep in mind your crossover is only 12db/oct so think bout this when selecting a tweeter.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the slopes is where im a little confused to pair speakers. A 12db slope is longer, meaning it picks up more frequencies before and after the desired crossover point correct? What do i look for in deciding on the tweeter? recommendations? Id like to keep the Mid bass lower at about 400 so i can give it more power and keep distortion to a minimum. Am I thinking this correctly?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think Im looking at the Peerless 830667, and the Peerless 830870 4" or Dayton RS125. Still lost on picking a tweeter.

I was looking at spending $600 on speakers alone, would something like this or anything DIY sound as good or better than the HSK 163 or Focal Access?

any suggestions on xover points and such are greatly appreciated.

thanks for the input everyone.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
You are correct about the crossover slopes.12db/oct is useable.
I personally would go with the RS225-4 because I own them and really like them.Plus they are 4 ohm and not as deep as the peerless.The cast basket is a nice touch.
I have not heard ether of the 4's but the peerless has a higher sensitivity.
With 12db/octive you need to look at the tweeters Fs then double that.That would be the lowest crossover frequency you can safely use.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
How much space do you have for the tweeter?

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Check out the Tang Band W4-1757SB

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can put a 1" tweeter in the stock sails, seems they are either pointing to themselves or slighty towards the windshield. The Tang Band looks very good.

Do you guys think something along the lines of TB/Dayton/Peerless would sound as good if not better than a set of HSK 3 way comps?

Thanks for the help.
James

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Tang Band 25-1744S
This tweeter matches that mid and is 6 ohm.
Morel MDT 22
Almost anything Morel makes is good.
The Vifa stuff is pretty good also.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
anyone think this diyma would sound as good as a box set up like the HSK or Focal?

Im thinking about getting a set of HSK, its going to cost roughly the same is the DIY. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Anybody think a diy along these lines would be as good as Hertz High energy series, JL Audio, Or even PPI 3 way components?
Thanks everyone for the info and suggestions, very much appreciated.
james

1 - 15 of 15 Posts