DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys I removed the Type X alpine cross over from my other car to run active. I need a new set of speakers for my WRX (5door) as my Hertz ESK's died. I'm pretty sold on the HAT bandwagon but I just realized I have the external crossovers laying around from my old Type X alpines. What are all of your opinions on trying to run a set of maybe seas tweets and some other mid tied into those alpine x over's? The xover has a ton of adjustment options.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Can you find us the specs on it like crossover frequency (or frequencies if they aren't the same), slopes, L-pads and such? I'm sure I/we could recommend some things if we knew that.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't seem to find it, this is about all I could find but seems mostly for the speakers:

the manual is here(removed http://) vault.alpine-usa.com/products/documents/OM_SPX-17PRO.PDF

System
Model SPX-17PRO SPX-13PRO
Type 2-Way Component 2-Way Component
Power Handling (RMS/Peak), CEA-2031 spec 100 W/300 W 75 W/240 W
Impedance 4 ohm 4 ohm
Frequency Response 35 Hz-40 KHz 45 Hz-40 KHz
Sensitivity 88 dB 87 dB
Net Weight 4.20 kg 3.75 kg
Drivers
General
Speaker size 6.5” (17 cm) 5.25” (13 cm) 1.75” (38 mm)
Speaker Type Woofer Woofer Tweeter
Power Handling (RMS) 75 W 65 W 20 W
Frequency Response (-10dB) 32 - 9.000 Hz 38 - 9.500 Hz 800 - 45.000 Hz
Sensitivity 88 dB 87 dB 90 dB
Physical
Frame Material/Type Aluminum Aluminum Aluminum/ABS
VC Bobbin Material Titanium Titanium Aluminum
Voice Coil Winding 2-layer, CCAW 2-layer, CCAW CCAW
Voice Coil Diameter 39 mm 39 mm 25 mm
Diaphragm Material Hybrid Pulp/Glass Fiber Hybrid Pulp/Glass Fiber KFR Textile
Diaphragm Design Curved NRSC Curved NRSC Ring Radiator
Effective Diaphragm Diameter 13.0 cm 11.0 cm 32.0 mm
Surround Material/Type NBR/Multi-Roll NBR/Multi-Roll n/a
Spider Material/Type Nomex/Linearized Nomex/Linearized n/a
Motor Structure Neodymium/U-Yoke w/ Neodymium/U-Yoke w/ Perimeter Vented w/
Compound Impedance Compound Impedance Faraday Ring
Stabilization Stabilization
Magnetic Material Neodymium Neodymium Neodymium
Magnet Weight 48 g 37 g n/a
Driver Weight 0.8 kg 0.7 kg 75 g
Depth 2.5” (6.4 cm) 2.37” (5.9 cm) 0.7” (18 mm)
Cut-out diameter 5.25” (13.3 cm) 4.62” (11.8 cm) 1.87” (48 mm)
Electro-Mechanical Parameters
Nominal Impedance 4 ohm 4 ohm 4 ohm
DC Coil Resistance (Re) 2.8 ohm 3.0 ohm 2.7 ohm
Inductance (Le) 0.1 mH 0.1 mH 0.0075 mH
Free Air Resonance (Fs) 45 Hz 58 Hz 790 Hz
Equivalent Stiffness (Vas) 24.1 L 10.2 L n/a
Mechanical Q (Qms) 5.24 4.30 5.90
Electrical Q (Qes) 0.57 0.56 0.78
Total Q (Qts) 0.51 0.50 0.69
Cone Area (Sd) 133 cm2
95 cm2
5.4 cm2
Compliance (Cms) 0.94 mm/N 0.79 mm/N 0.14 mm/N
Moving Mass (Mms) 13.3 g 9.6 g 0.28 g
Force Factor (Bl) 4.4 Tm 4.3 Tm 2.1 Tm
Coil Height (Hvc) 16.6 mm 14.0 mm 2.2 mm
Gap Height (Hag) 4.0 mm 4.0 mm 2.0 mm
Linear Excursion [(Hvc-Hag)/2)], (Xmax) 6.3 mm 5.0 mm 0.1 mm
Magnetic Linear Excursion, (Xmag) 6.8 mm 6.2 mm 1.1 mm
Mechanical Excursion (p-p) 20 mm 18 mm 2 mm
Enclosure Information
Sealed Range (Qtc=0.68 to 0.77), Cubic Feet 0.7 - 1.25 ft
Sealed Range (Qtc=0.68 to 0.77), Liters 20 - 35 L
Recommended Sealed (Qtc=0.73) 0.9 ft
(25.4 L), F3=62 Hz
Sealed Range (Qtc=0.62 to 0.74), Cubic Feet 0.3 - 0.7 ft
Sealed Range (Qtc=0.62 to 0.74), Liters 9 - 20 L
Recommended Sealed (Qtc=0.69) 0.4 ft
(11.3 L), F3=84 Hz
Note: All specifications subject to change without notice

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Sorry but that's not useful for the crossover info. Unless someone can find the specs, then it must either be measured with an oscilloscope or I can't offer proper advice for using them with other drivers.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
spoke to a reputable local installer who has these in his car and he said he's almost positive the x over point is 2200 hertz.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Note: this post assumes that the 2200Hz you mentioned is correct. If it is incorrect, then this post is not fully correct. That's rather low, which limits your tweeter options. I hope the slope is steep.

Best tweeter for the job (IMO): ScanSpeak Illuminator D3004/6020-00 Tweeter Textile Dome: Madisound Speaker Store

If the slope is 24dB (4th-order) then this much cheaper Seas Neo will do an okay job at that frequency: SEAS Prestige 27TAFNC/G (H1397) 1" Aluminum Dome Tweeter: Madisound Speaker Store (I usually prefer to cross it closer to 2400-2500 with a steep slope like that - 2200 with a steep slope is workable but not ideal)

Other than that, you'd want to go with larger tweeters like 30mm, or perhaps even a 2-3" fullrange if you can keep them on axis. (Don't go near that idea if you can't keep them on axis!)

The low crossover point makes choosing a woofer really easy, though. You can even choose most metal cone drivers as 2200Hz should be well before the cone breakup mode which will be in the 4-5kHz range with many metal drivers of 6-7". (You want at least one full octave of buffer, meaning you don't want to use the driver beyond HALF of the lowest frequency where breakup starts unless you want to do very complex filtering)

For a woofer (and for the tweeter, while we're at it), you will need to stick with a 4 ohm driver. You can look to a car audio company like Rainbow or HAT or whatever. Or you can go with Dayton RS180-4 (I've had bad luck with the quality of these recently, so I won't be buying them) or SB Acoustics SB17NRX-4 or one of the 4 ohm Scan Speak drivers, etc.

If the crossover has tweeter sensitivity adjustments then the sensitivity of the woofer doesn't much matter as long as it's within reasonable boundaries, and L-pads are cheap if necessary.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Note: this post assumes that the 2200Hz you mentioned is correct. If it is incorrect, then this post is not fully correct. That's rather low, which limits your tweeter options. I hope the slope is steep.

Best tweeter for the job (IMO): ScanSpeak Illuminator D3004/6020-00 Tweeter Textile Dome: Madisound Speaker Store

If the slope is 24dB (4th-order) then this much cheaper Seas Neo will do an okay job at that frequency: SEAS Prestige 27TAFNC/G (H1397) 1" Aluminum Dome Tweeter: Madisound Speaker Store (I usually prefer to cross it closer to 2400-2500 with a steep slope like that - 2200 with a steep slope is workable but not ideal)

Other than that, you'd want to go with larger tweeters like 30mm, or perhaps even a 2-3" fullrange if you can keep them on axis. (Don't go near that idea if you can't keep them on axis!)

The low crossover point makes choosing a woofer really easy, though. You can even choose most metal cone drivers as 2200Hz should be well before the cone breakup mode which will be in the 4-5kHz range with many metal drivers of 6-7". (You want at least one full octave of buffer, meaning you don't want to use the driver beyond HALF of the lowest frequency where breakup starts unless you want to do very complex filtering)

For a woofer (and for the tweeter, while we're at it), you will need to stick with a 4 ohm driver. You can look to a car audio company like Rainbow or HAT or whatever. Or you can go with Dayton RS180-4 (I've had bad luck with the quality of these recently, so I won't be buying them) or SB Acoustics SB17NRX-4 or one of the 4 ohm Scan Speak drivers, etc.

If the crossover has tweeter sensitivity adjustments then the sensitivity of the woofer doesn't much matter as long as it's within reasonable boundaries, and L-pads are cheap if necessary.

If the crossovers have zobels then it's unlikely to find a driver that will match them well other than the OEM Vifas. Most component sets don't have that complex a crossover, but Type X is reasonably good, so it might.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have those seas prestige in my other car and love their sound. I can adjust the tweeter sensitivity I from 0 to -4.5db. Thinking maybe I will just go with the seas tweeter, scan speak 6.5" midwoofer, and keep my alpine x over? Of course now I'm basically $200 am I better off just spending a little more and getting the HAT Imagine's?

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
In my opinion, Scan Speak is the best speaker manufacturer in the world. That's all I have to say for the Scan vs HAT question. And yes, the Scan tweeter that I linked plus pretty much any 4 ohm Scan midwoofer will work fine.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so would you go with the : Scan-Speak 18W/8434G00 Discovery, 6.5" Midwoofer -or - ScanSpeak Classic P17WJ00 6.5" Woofer?

Also will if I recall the seas prestige outer plastic were pretty big....the pod's these will go into are pretty small but I think I can take the dremel to it and get them to fit.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I brought my old Hertz Deci's to the store I bought them and it was 1 week over the 1 yr warranty, these guys were so great not only were they willing to give me a new pair on the spot, but they allowed me to pay the difference and upgrade to the energy's. This speaks volumes to the Hertz dealer program. I installed them last night and they sound incredible! I like these much more then my active setup in my other car w/ alpine X woofer and seas tweeter.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
DIY, every time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts