DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a single DIYMA 12 (thanks npdang) that I will be powering with my Arc KS 500.1(not the mini), so it will be seeing about 450watts @4ohm. I know there are a lot of threads about diy box size, but I just want to be sure I mazimize performance for my specific application. I want the sub to see this power safely most of all. I want as much output possible in an SQ setup and keeping the sub safe. Anyone running similar power in different box volumes that could make some suggestions. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
1.0 cube sealed or if you're feeling adventurous, go smaller, it really doesn't matter.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought that the power handling would change, or rather how much you could push the sub would change based on box volume???? I also thought the volume of the enclosure would effect the sound of the driver

·
I'm baaaack!!
4,397 Posts
I thought that the power handling would change, or rather how much you could push the sub would change based on box volume???? I also thought the volume of the enclosure would effect the sound of the driver
That would be correct. 1 ft^3 sealed with that power is just perfect, as Kappa said earlier. However, if you're really wanting to pull as much output from the sub as possible you should think about going ported. The "standard" for this sub ported seems to be 1 ft^3 @ 29Hz. Good luck and enjoy my favorite sub of all time.

Zach

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That would be correct. 1 ft^3 sealed with that power is just perfect, as Kappa said earlier. However, if you're really wanting to pull as much output from the sub as possible you should think about going ported. The "standard" for this sub ported seems to be 1 ft^3 @ 29Hz. Good luck and enjoy my favorite sub of all time.

Zach
Thanks for the reply, it was your reviews and a lot of your posts that motivated me to go with the sub...

1 cube ported at 29hz??? I am failry knowledgable in some of this, but still learning much...ho9w do I tune to that frequency and how do I determine what size/ style of port to use?? Thanks again

·
Registered
438 Posts
Zach, while we are on this subject. You may remember a few weeks ago you answered a few questions for me regarding my 2nd Gen RX7 Vert install. Your suggestion was to go with the Mag v4 over the diyma12 because of the road noise.

I've passed on two Mags at around $200 each over the past few weeks because I was thinking that two diymas may give me what I;m looking for over one Mag and there is just something about all of the great reviews on these things that have me chomping at the bit. I have also been looking at the ED110s that are currently on sale for $75, wondering if those would work.

Originally I built a .85 sealed box meant for the Mag that fits under the spare tire cover. I have recently built a 1.2 sealed box meant for two diymas but have not cut the mounting holes or added a divider. Once the diymas are installed I dont think that the spare tire cover will fit back on without touching the subs which is probably fine because it should sound better but then I lose my wind deflector. What do you think about two diymas or what do you think about porting(aero or PVC) the 1.2 box for one diyma. Also, do you have an opinion of the EDs?

Keep in mind that the car never gets driven with the top up and most of my driving is on surface streets not the highway.

The system will be 2-way with sub with ID OEM mids, Peerless HDS tweets with a CDT upstage system and Clarion 775USB. I have not purchased the amps so I can get whatever I need once I decide on the sub/s.

Thanks again for your input.

·
I'm baaaack!!
4,397 Posts
Zach, while we are on this subject. You may remember a few weeks ago you answered a few questions for me regarding my 2nd Gen RX7 Vert install. Your suggestion was to go with the Mag v4 over the diyma12 because of the road noise.

I've passed on two Mags at around $200 each over the past few weeks because I was thinking that two diymas may give me what I;m looking for over one Mag and there is just something about all of the great reviews on these things that have me chomping at the bit. I have also been looking at the ED110s that are currently on sale for $75, wondering if those would work.

Originally I built a .85 sealed box meant for the Mag that fits under the spare tire cover. I have recently built a 1.2 sealed box meant for two diymas but have not cut the mounting holes or added a divider. Once the diymas are installed I dont think that the spare tire cover will fit back on without touching the subs which is probably fine because it should sound better but then I lose my wind deflector. What do you think about two diymas or what do you think about porting(aero or PVC) the 1.2 box for one diyma. Also, do you have an opinion of the EDs?

Keep in mind that the car never gets driven with the top up and most of my driving is on surface streets not the highway.

The system will be 2-way with sub with ID OEM mids, Peerless HDS tweets with a CDT upstage system and Clarion 775USB. I have not purchased the amps so I can get whatever I need once I decide on the sub/s.

Thanks again for your input.

John,

If you're dead set on running a DIYMA, then go with 1 of them ported in the box you have. After sub and port displacement you should end up right at 1 ft^3. So, perfect. Also, going ported will give you the output back down low that you'll need for a vert install. If you need any help with figuring out port length/diameter just shoot me a PM and I'll model things up for you. Also, skip the CDT upstage as I don't think you'll need it with those HDS tweets. They're simply great tweets. FWIW, I'll be running the Zuki SPL 5 channel in my vert install which is going to consist of horns, PA 8's, and a Mag v4. Then again, I am pretty much the Zuki poster boy these days. :) Just hard to beat that kind of quality for the price IMHO.

Also, the eD shouldn't even be in contention. It's not that eD doesn't make a nice mid level sub, because they do. I am going to be finishing up an install in a good friend's boat tomorrow using an Ov.2 series eD sub. But SQ wise, they can't compare to the R12 or Mag v4 IME.

Zach

·
Registered
438 Posts
Zach, thanks a million for your help. I just paypal'd npdang :)

A few more ?s.

Can I port the current box effectivley as it has already been built for the most part?

and, the box being rectangle and right behind me, should the sub be installed in the center of the box or to one side or the other or does it matter?

Thanks again!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts