DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
BTW, big props to Jon and Peter, two of my bay area "partners in crime". :D
Thanks for lending your ears and time too!!!!

Also, DS-21 is right about the SLSs....... I would bet good money this driver suffers a similar fate as the XLS 8", and the recently discontinued Exclusive 4.5" 830881. It'll become a sought after commodity once it goes out of production!
I, too, would bet on the SLS 8's being discontinued in the near future. For $120/pr, tough to pass up.

Great review.

·
Premium Member
6,013 Posts
Tang Band W8-740C
Value: 7.5
Build Quality: 4
Ease of Use: 3
Output Capability: 9.5

OK. It’s ugly. It’s big. It’s heavy. How in the HECK would someone mount this monster in a car door? Well, if someone does it, I wanna check it out! :D Honestly, I don’t ever see this driver being used in a car door. It’s simply too big (deep) and heavy. This thing is a monster. The magnet is so big, the driver is almost unwieldy to handle. The magnet also sends off an ENORMOUS amount of stray flux. I was holding it while on the computer one day and noticed it affected my computer CRT more than 16 inches away! And yes, it’s cheap, and probably the best value if you are shopping to optimize price/weight ratio.

So the one redeeming quality of this driver is that it is a little THUMPER. It can really pound out bass. Probably the “fun-est” driver to listen to in home, when playing “Vanishing Point” by New Order. It was a monster in the vented box, and no tame Jane in the sealed either. I never tried it in-car because we couldn’t make it fit. No way.

OK, so now the bad news. It’s a one-trick pony. It seems to play one note, really well, and really loud. I have visions of some “boomer” installing a wall of these things in his truck so that he can be heard a mile away… :p But this boomer better have some awesome amps because this driver is inefficient. It’s a power-monger, and you need to feed it to make it play. Funny story: as I was trying to get this to shake a rafter lose in my house, I was able to push my receiver into thermal shutdown. Yeah; it needs power.
A few comments on the TB -

I use the MCM version of it for most of my subs. I haven't found another driver like it, particularly at it's cost. It's NOT well suited to sealed boxes; it really needs a vented box or a horn to shine. I've posted horn designs over at audiogroupforum for it.

You complained that it has "one note bass." There's an easy explanation for what you heard. The low end decays very slowly, because it has a low QTS. For a vented box, this is a GOOD thing. For a sealed box, not so much.

So that's the reason you heard "one note bass." It's not suited for a sealed box AT ALL.
Also, it has high inductance, which rolls off the highs. That's a problem if you're using it as a midrange, but as a sub, it's no big deal.

I just wanted to throw in my .02, because I still believe this is one of the most unique drivers in the market right now. It can hit like a 10 or a 12, but it's just an eight.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
A few comments on the TB -

I use the MCM version of it for most of my subs. I haven't found another driver like it, particularly at it's cost. It's NOT well suited to sealed boxes; it really needs a vented box or a horn to shine. I've posted horn designs over at audiogroupforum for it.

You complained that it has "one note bass." There's an easy explanation for what you heard. The low end decays very slowly, because it has a low QTS. For a vented box, this is a GOOD thing. For a sealed box, not so much.

So that's the reason you heard "one note bass." It's not suited for a sealed box AT ALL.
Also, it has high inductance, which rolls off the highs. That's a problem if you're using it as a midrange, but as a sub, it's no big deal.

I just wanted to throw in my .02, because I still believe this is one of the most unique drivers in the market right now. It can hit like a 10 or a 12, but it's just an eight.
Good points, and great comments. Appreciate your input!

I guess I was a little on the facetious side during the later part of my review too... Writing long papers/reports does that to me. Reading my review back, it did actually crack me up a little! :p :D

In any event, I would say that most drivers are designed with a purpose in mind, and as such, would perform much better when used for their suited application. In this case, this is clearly a subwoofer; it was never designed to be a "mid/bass" in a car or anywhere else, really. I'm sure with the right alignment and application, this driver would be an excellent performer. However, if you're looking for a dedicated mid/bass speaker to put in your car door, I wouldn't recommend this one based on my (limited) experience. :D

Keep the great comments coming; it can only better lift up everyone's understanding and knowledge! :D (I know I've got ALOT to learn!)

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Thank you for the Excellent Review! It was a great idea to test these drivers in both home and car environments and I thank you for your foresight in this regard! Will be a great reference and application guide for years to come!

Thanks again!

·
Registered
880 Posts
Excellent.

Makes me eagerly await the new Lotus 8 even more.

·
Premium Member
6,013 Posts
Keep the great comments coming; it can only better lift up everyone's understanding and knowledge! :D (I know I've got ALOT to learn!)
Kudos for taking the time to review all of them! I just wanted to defend the TB/MCM, since I think it's quite unique. About the only competition it has it TC Sounds 8" woofer, which is available from soundsplinter.com and TCSounds.

There's a cheap high-excursion seven inch driver that's promising - it's the M165x from Gr-Research. I think I'm going to buy four of these soon.

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6386

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Kudos for taking the time to review all of them! I just wanted to defend the TB/MCM, since I think it's quite unique. About the only competition it has it TC Sounds 8" woofer, which is available from soundsplinter.com and TCSounds.

There's a cheap high-excursion seven inch driver that's promising - it's the M165x from Gr-Research. I think I'm going to buy four of these soon.

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6386
That driver has already been tested.

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
I ran the Rainbow Ref mids and tweeters in my Tacoma, ID DAC, ID crossover and EQ's, I preferred them active over the big passive crossover they came with. I do know how good they are:) I was always blown away by the midrange out of such a large driver(I almost went with the 4.5 for a change to go with the below dual midbasses in the doors I was changing to next)

I also had two pairs of the 6.5 midbasses, as above, was going to use them in the doors with the Ref set or with the 4.5 midrange/tweet combo.

------------

To this day I have still never heard a car audio or home speaker setup I liked better with the exception of Doc Edgar's Titans.

Rick

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I ran the Rainbow Ref mids and tweeters in my Tacoma, ID DAC, ID crossover and EQ's, I preferred them active over the big passive crossover they came with. I do know how good they are:) I was always blown away by the midrange out of such a large driver(I almost went with the 4.5 for a change to go with the below dual midbasses in the doors I was changing to next)

I also had two pairs of the 6.5 midbasses, as above, was going to use them in the doors with the Ref set or with the 4.5 midrange/tweet combo.

------------

To this day I have still never heard a car audio or home speaker setup I liked better with the exception of Doc Edgar's Titans.

Rick
Rick, seen the article on your '96 Tacoma. Impressive work there!!! I can't knock Rainbow gear: very good if you can afford it! :D

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
Thanks buddy, the truck was not really done when photographed but then again, it never really was completed with any of the various systems I ran:)

I just wish more could of heard it, everyone that did loved it and I had a blast sharing the fun:)

When I bought them I lost allot of weight, could not afford food for some time, lol!

True story as well:)

Rick

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
Been pretty dang busy for months on end, unbelievable growth in the business, try to fit some family time in and a bit of play time as well but then I end up working to late allot.

Life is good though, have a major revision of our website being built to ease my workload, costing a bundle but will be worth it so I can have more time hanging out with the cool people I love!!

Rick

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry to dig this up, but I'm currently searching for a good midbass driver to use in a 3 way front speaker system, that has a good performance between 50 and 350Hz. I'd like to use these Peerless SLS 8", but my car doors don't allow it (at least, without major mods)... :rolleyes:
I wonder if anyone knows anything about the Peerless SLS 6.5" (model 830946). Given the shape of this speaker, they're almost a perfect fit in my doors! Are they a good choice for what I need? :confused:

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Am I reading the frequency response wrong? It looks like the Dayton has better low frequency response than the Peerless.
Looks like you're reading them wrong. If you're looking specifically at the modeled response curves, take the Peerless curve and shift it up so that the "flat" part of the curves line up (compensate for the difference in driver efficiency). You'll see the Dayton rolls off faster on the low end.

Also take a look at the links in the first post; npdang posted actual measured response curves....

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
I stil go back to this review for reference. Exceptional job Shinjohn.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I stil go back to this review for reference. Exceptional job Shinjohn.
Glad it was of help, and also glad to see you went with the SLSs. I don't think you'll be disappointed. Let us know how they work out.

And yes, I still have a pair of these sitting in my garage.... They would be in the doors of my car if I had the time and inclination to rebuild my door panels for them.... :p

21 - 40 of 48 Posts