DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'll let you know the answer to this within the next month or so. I plan to build both to see what difference I can hear.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Im my eperience, (limited for the last few years), a sealed box tends
to have a tighter response where as a ported one will extend the low-end.
As far as output, i think a ported one will produce more "percieved" volume
due to the extended low frequency response.
It all goes back to " what the listener preferes". I like rock and sealed boxes.
For my clients who like rap, ported all day long..
It is a simple formula for me, but it has worked.
I am sure there are more knowledgeable responses to follow.
I like to keep it simple.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Id like to hear Group delay and compare it to a sealed sub.
I wish Peter Mitchell was still alive...
=(

·
Registered
573 Posts
He was a wonderful writer in the car audio mags btw
he wrote TONS of subjective thoughtful subwoofer information.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I've had both. Three different ported set-ups and three different sealed set-ups. Sealed boxes are weak in output in comparison, and to me the sealed boxes I've had don't sound as good. Rap music to classical music, ported sounds better... IMO. I've even had bandpass and that sounded pretty good. But just go ported. Make sure the box is built to the correct specs and it should sound good...

I'd only consider a sealed box if space was an issue.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Done both. It simply depends upon the frequency response you want. Sealed, it does roll off early, -3dB roll off point around 50Hz. If the car has cabin gain to compensate, super. Otherwise, you're EQing some. Ported, the -3dB point is down at 30Hz, more then enough extension and generally too much in a car. You will most likely EQ the bottom end down some. However, ported may be preferred in a car that has very minimal cabin gain or gain that starts lower. Sometimes it's simply a preference to EQ up or EQ down. Sealed is traditionally easier to use of course. I do like my ported box a lot though. I've used the DIYMA in my house too, so the flatter, more extended response becomes far more appropriate. Sealed is quite anemic in-house from the early roll off.

The sub works great in either configuration. All you need to worry about is get the frequency response you want to have in the end. Just use the box design that'll make that happen.

·
Registered
282 Posts
\ Sometimes it's simply a preference to EQ up or EQ down.
I like that! It's pretty much true. But, it's also about the ported being louder with less effort. Also, you can easily EQ up but not down, no?...

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Well, the amp's bass boost only goes up. In that sense, all you have is up. However, most any HU will go either way. It just comes down to a matter of number of EQ bands and range of frequencies that it's capable of tuning. You need enough tuning power to actually do something. If you don't have much EQing power with the HU, then you need to be more exact with the box design to get the bet in-car response you can, sealed or ported.

·
Registered
5 Posts
doing this for my required post, and my $.02

i like the tighter bass of a small sealed box with poly fill

i've had a 15" Solobaric L7 in a giant ported, it was loud as h3ll, but i didn't like the sound of it compared to the small sealed they were in before i bought them.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I think the OP's question was regarding to sealed vs ported on the DIYMA REF12 not in general

·
Registered
578 Posts
Im my eperience, (limited for the last few years), a sealed box tends
to have a tighter response where as a ported one will extend the low-end.
As far as output, i think a ported one will produce more "percieved" volume
due to the extended low frequency response.
It all goes back to " what the listener preferes". I like rock and sealed boxes.
For my clients who like rap, ported all day long..
It is a simple formula for me, but it has worked.
I am sure there are more knowledgeable responses to follow.
I like to keep it simple.
This is myth, not fact.

·
Registered
72 Posts
My opinion : subs which design to play in ported box ,play worst in sealed.
and opposite.
Sealed are much more precised then ported.

·
Registered
72 Posts
double post

·
Registered
438 Posts
This would be a great topic but it got off track almost immediately.

The #1 rule of posting should be... READ the Title.

Lets get back on track...

Anyone have experience with the DIYMA 12 in Sealed vs Ported? Please explain...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Go back and read mvw2's first post in this thread or search his name and see his review of the R12. He built sealed and ported boxes for it.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Hell, there is so much talk about sealed vs.ported. If people would just go back and do a search before they come on the board spreading their personal "myths" around, they may learn something. The answers have been given time and time again. Why come to the board to learn if folks will continue to come here with built in "myths" as the truth?

In fact too, there is a thread where a member tested the DIYMA 12" It was tested in many different applications....sealed,ported,and IB. It's a long detailed thread review. Couldn't miss if if you wanted to. The new folks act as if the DIYMA 12" sub came out last month.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Well not to jack the post, but since we're on the topic, sort of. Has anyone tried a PR with this subs?? I just order one myself and want to try it out in a HT setup but don't want to get into ports, don't like the look and all, but get all the benefits of sealed and ported for the most part with a PR.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Well not to jack the post, but since we're on the topic, sort of. Has anyone tried a PR with this sub?? I just order one myself and want to try it out in a HT setup but don't want to get into ports, don't like the look and all, but get all the benefits of sealed and ported for the most part with a PR.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts