DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone hear owned both the Ultimate and Reference series amps from DLS? If so what is the main difference? I am thinking about picking up an A3 from another member and wanted to get some feedback.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I personally prefer the reference series... something about them just sounds better to my ears. i don't want to spark another Amp SQ debate, just offering my humble opinion. And at the lesser price, you can't go wrong. And the cosmetics are more appealing IMO.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I personally prefer the reference series... something about them just sounds better to my ears. i don't want to spark another Amp SQ debate, just offering my humble opinion. And at the lesser price, you can't go wrong. And the cosmetics are more appealing IMO.
One of the reasons I ask is that I was looking at some online retailers and they had the RA series at a higher list price. I thought this was funny because DLS web site clearly states the Ultimate line is their top line.

·
Registered
364 Posts
the reference amps are pretty popular. quite a few of the DLS EMMA cars run them over the Ultimates, like the VW Notchback and the Volvo from Finland (which i might add is a passive car, and quite impressive from an install point of view)

·
Registered
363 Posts
both are great amps, i'm biased to the ultimates as ive been using and competing with them for 2 years..only draw back is its bulky size, beacuse of this you have to put a bit more thought into installation..apart from cosmetics they are really warm and very tonal compared to other amps ive used

but then there is the amplifier debate of proper installation, and proper tuning will you be able to tell the difference between 2 quality amplifiers?

·
"Authentic to the Music"
1,960 Posts
From installing and using both and just about every amp in the line, My favorite 2 amps in the DLS line up is the A3 and RA20, Followed by the A2/A4 and the RA25. Is just something about that RA20.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts