DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After all the flack I took on the PDX 4.100 and hiss issue (didn't stop 2 ebayers from spending almost 300 a piece on my 2 used Alpine amps) I thought I'd report on the two DLS RA-40 amps that I got a couple of days ago.

In short, they are beautifully constructed inside, look gorgeous on the outside and have no audible hiss at maximum gain. I have to use max gain because the damn Alpine PXE-H650 I am using has such a low output (even when it is at full gain and the clipping LED comes on). So I have an AudioControl Matrix on order to put between the H650 and the DLS RA-40s. I think I just have enough room to mount it. This is what it looks like in the right side bay of my AUdi RS4. Eventually the opening will have a louvered or mesh cover on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
After adding the linedriver to your H650, can you let us know if it fixed the low volume issue? I'm rather curious about the results.

Thanks,
j

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After adding the linedriver to your H650, can you let us know if it fixed the low volume issue? I'm rather curious about the results.

Thanks,
j
My measurement shows that the H650 has 15 dB of "insertion loss", so I expect the AudioControl should bring all that back. I'll keep people posted.

·
Registered
17,148 Posts
LOL I used an AC matrix to do the exact same thing when i was using the Next 5.500... worked well, rmember that the Matrix will have different input configs and when you get it there may be noise...... but also remember that it's cool with a differential input ;)

·
Registered
404 Posts
I just installed a DLS Ultimate A2 today and I noticed the gain was set up at 3/4 where the two previous amps were a tad less than half for similar volume. No harm though as it gets plenty loud. Rated at 2 x 50 watts, but has 2x30 amp fuses? Underrated I guess.

·
Premium Member
4,428 Posts
I just installed a DLS Ultimate A2 today and I noticed the gain was set up at 3/4 where the two previous amps were a tad less than half for similar volume. No harm though as it gets plenty loud. Rated at 2 x 50 watts, but has 2x30 amp fuses? Underrated I guess.
Ya they usually do about 85 watts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
On my RA-40 I'm measuring 86 Watts into 4 ohms and 229 watts into two ohms at 1% THD. These are both slightly above the rated spec of 75 and 110 respectively. I can hear 1% THD quite clearly, so I'd guess the rated power comes at a much lower THD. Didn't think to measure that.

I'm driving the sub in bridged mode with channels 3 and 4, therefore one has to remember that the effective load impedance is half of what the speaker load is. The power output goes up on these amps as the impedance drops.

At any rate, it's plenty loud and plenty clean. A beautiful warm sound typical of Tandberg home stereo amps of the late '70s and early '80s and best described as "Scandinavian".

1 - 8 of 8 Posts