DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have Hertz MLK165 in my vehicle. I kind of want to try something new, I heard a set of DLS Iridium's and the sound just blew me away. I was also told good things about Dynaudio. So I want ya'lls opinion on which I should try to get. I was looking at the DLS Neobellium (sp?) and the Dynaudio Esotec. They will be powered by an Arc Audio se2300 amp (330x2 at 4ohms).

Also anyone know if the DLS or Dynaudio off woofersetc is legit? I read on DLS's site that there is a knock-off version of their products.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Between the two, I'd try the Dyns first. There's fake Dynaudio products out there too. If you order from woofers etc, you might get the real thing, but with scratched serial numbers.

PM 6spdcoupe. (before anyone else says it).

·
Registered
422 Posts
Between the two, I'd try the Dyns first. There's fake Dynaudio products out there too. If you order from woofers etc, you might get the real thing, but with scratched serial numbers.

PM 6spdcoupe. (before anyone else says it).

Or try your nearest Dynaudio Dealer. I'm sure Don wouldn't mind ;)

I'm guessing Houston?:surprised:

·
Premium Member
4,428 Posts
the only knock off I have seen from DLS are the UR series speakers

Out of those 2 I prefer the DLS over the dyn. I have heard dyns in acouple installs and in the store but I prefer the DLS, I run the nobeliums 3-way 8" 5.25" and tweet. I had the IR 6.3 before that and before that I had the UP 3-way. I ran the IR and UP both passive and the nobeliums active of course since they dont offer them in a passive set.

The IR's are pure ear sex IMO, the only thing was the tweeter was alittle to laid back for my taste. I eq'd it up some and it was alot better but I prefer alittle brighter tweet.

I really like the nobeliums alot better because of the metal cones. Alot more detailed than the IR but also have a problem like all metal cones with breakup that you have to deal with. Luckily I dont pick that up so much since i have them installed off axis

I would suggest you try to hear some dyns before you purchase. If you cant find any to listen to them I would get the DLS IR's since you heard them and like how they sound.

Dyn is a forum boner around here so you will get alot of people telling you to get those, but do like I always say listen to both, then make your decision. Both are capable drivers, just comes down to which ones you prefer, and you wont know that without listening to them.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I have sold and installed both and I don't think you will go wrong either way. They definitely sound different, though.

I think the Dynes take a while to break in, I think that they need a lot of power to wake up, and I think you shoudn't run the tweeter on the 242 on any setting but the loudest. The tweeter is hard to fit in some locations due to outer diameter. I think they have better build quality.

The Iridium sound great, are more forgiving of lower power, have a better passive in terms of components used (doesn't matter if you go active), and the tweeter is hard to mount due to depth and has the ugliest grille in the northern hemisphere. Tweeter sounds better due to tuned back chamber.

Funny thing is, I have run both of the above, and I prefer the Morel Elate 6. Better passives than either, smaller tweeter I can install wherever I want, comparable midwoofer with a little more bottom end. Top end of the midwoofer isn't quite as good as the Iridiums, but it won't fall apart in my door when it rains either :)

·
Registered
141 Posts
We've visited this.

DLS is no slouch, but in the end DynAudio will offer greater accuracy to the original recording, as well as a greater sense of space and sheer impact. If you later on decide to upgrade to anything from the Esotar family, it will be leaps and bounds better.

I would advise against buying anything from Woofersetc. They are not authorized dealers for any of these products, which means you receive NO warranty from DLS or DynAudio. That's not wise on such a large investment.

Be safe, get it legit.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I also have the MLK165 set. I'm curious to know what your opinion is of them, and why you want to change them out. I haven't heard a lot of different speakers to make comparisons. When you get your new setup, whatever you decide to go with, I would be very interested in your opinion on the differences, positive or negative.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I like my MLK165's, I just like to try different things. I was debating on trying MLK2's but i wanted to try a different brand out there and I'm hearing good things about Dyn's and DLS. How's the midbass on the Dyn 342? (is that the one with the 7" midbass?) I heard the 242's on a soundboard but I didn't hear much midbass.

Can these get loud? I know on my MLK165's I can turn it up and it can get loud without distorting at all. The sub can get loud also and keep up with the components.

If i go with a 342 (hope thats the right 3way setup) with the Dyn Esotar 1200 12" subwoofer, will they be able to get loud? When i mean loud, I don't mean SPL loud, just higher volume without distortion.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I like my MLK165's, I just like to try different things. I was debating on trying MLK2's but i wanted to try a different brand out there and I'm hearing good things about Dyn's and DLS. How's the midbass on the Dyn 342? (is that the one with the 7" midbass?) I heard the 242's on a soundboard but I didn't hear much midbass.

Can these get loud? I know on my MLK165's I can turn it up and it can get loud without distorting at all. The sub can get loud also and keep up with the components.

If i go with a 342 (hope thats the right 3way setup) with the Dyn Esotar 1200 12" subwoofer, will they be able to get loud? When i mean loud, I don't mean SPL loud, just higher volume without distortion.

·
Registered
141 Posts
DynAudio speakers are more powerful than DLS speakers. I've had them both. In terms of midbass, DynAudio midbass drivers can allow you to nearly run subless due to their amount of sound.

DynAudio is known for their anemic distortion levels at any listening volume.

I own the Esotar 1200. It is a lot louder than I even anticipated it being. Is it for SPL? Absolutely not. It provides plenty of low end power, however.

And yes, it has no noticeable distortion at any listening level. It's actually quite amazing.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Tell you why DLS and Dyne sound better in my car than SEAS and Peerless... Neither of them make a 165mm speaker which will FIT in my door without a hand grenade and a holesaw...

·
Premium Member
4,428 Posts
DynAudio speakers are more powerful than DLS speakers. I've had them both. In terms of midbass, DynAudio midbass drivers can allow you to nearly run subless due to their amount of sound.

DynAudio is known for their anemic distortion levels at any listening volume.

I own the Esotar 1200. It is a lot louder than I even anticipated it being. Is it for SPL? Absolutely not. It provides plenty of low end power, however.

And yes, it has no noticeable distortion at any listening level. It's actually quite amazing.
Thats a pretty bold statement, I can run sub less with my DLS and still shake the mirrors like hell no problem, you will feel it in your seat, they provide more bass than the 6x9 bose in my rear shelf. It kinds sounds like you are a dyn salesman. I do have 8's right now, but with my IR6.3 it was no problem.

Like I said both are capable drivers, neither is leaps and bounds better than the other. To say so is just ********.

Listen and choose what sounds best to you

·
Premium Member
6,214 Posts

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I have seen this a couple of times. So what is excellent in the price range?
x2.

Since the OP is apparently looking at off-the-shelf products which seem to hit a 165mm/28mm sort of form factor, I would suggest that vastly-different-arcitecture kits shouldn't count.

nightryderz05, what do these speaks have to fit into?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Thats a pretty bold statement, I can run sub less with my DLS and still shake the mirrors like hell no problem, you will feel it in your seat, they provide more bass than the 6x9 bose in my rear shelf. It kinds sounds like you are a dyn salesman. I do have 8's right now, but with my IR6.3 it was no problem.

Like I said both are capable drivers, neither is leaps and bounds better than the other. To say so is just ********.

Listen and choose what sounds best to you

I'm a Dyn salesmen? No.

I've had both the Esotec 362, and the Iridium 8.3i. They are directly comparable. I thought DLS products were great, and the midbass on the set was my favorite part. However, the Dyn speakers were still more powerful, more accurate in terms of tonality, offered a greater sense of space, with a touch more detail.

And yes, the speakers were put in many A/B comparisons.

The Dyn sound isn't for everyone, though. Some don't like it warm, smooth, and neutral. Some like a little bite. His main goal seems to be power, however. In that regard, the Dyns simply have more power and impact. I think for the price range we are talking, the Esotec set is one of the most powerful out of a box sets.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts