DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning on upgrading my 2018 accord stereo while keeping the stock head unit. I do not have much experience with car stereos. I am trying to stay under $2000 and have narrowed it down to 2 shops.

Option #1 - morel front components, leave my stock rear deck speakers, memphis audio 12" sub, a Kenwood 5 channel amp and a rockford fosgate dsr1 sound prossesor. The guy at this shop is saying i really need a dsp to get that quality sound out of the system.

Option # 2 same morel front components, leaving rears, 10" JL sub, JL xd700 5 channel amp and an audio control lc6i line out converter with base knob for $1900. I asked the owner of this shop about a dsp and he told me I really don't need it and would get great sound with the above set up.

I have read mixed reviews on the rockford fosgate dsr1 and can not afford a high end dsp. So which one sounds better and do I really need a dsp.

·
Registered
590 Posts
ditch the rear deck speakers. you'll have a better sound stage with just the components up front. i'd go with JL for a woofer over memphis. if you just want good sound i wouldnt worry about a dsp personally.

why leave stock radio? you could run a pioneer deh-80prs and have active control over the components and time alignment.

by the way i have a kenwood x801-5 5 channel for sale, brand new in box. pm me if interested.

·
Registered
19,631 Posts
Thanks Mike.

If your only doing a basic system, the zapco gen iii 6 channel dsp is on sale right now. As far as the second shop saying you dont need a dsp and can get great sound without one... well, "great sound" is subjective. Yeah you can get something that is "loud and clear", but nothing that sounds good to an enthusiast. Theyre taking you as a general customer who doesnt really know any better and dont want to discourage you from their services. If you care enough to join a forum dedicated to car audio and already know what a dsp is and what is already out there, your already putting yourself way ahead of what a general customer would say "sounds great".

·
Premium Member
7,390 Posts
. So which one sounds better and do I really need a dsp.
The time alignment (TA) of a DSP is good for one person, but not for more than one. So it is a minivan and lots of people in it then that sort of means that you would not make great use of TA.

The EQ may be worthwhile, so I suppose you could see how good or bad the car is and then decide from there?... Using something like an app.

The shop could probably do that for you as a way to prove that you need the DSP?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Stock head units have built in equalization to get the most out of the factory door speakers. When adding after market speakers, you may notice entire chunks of frequency response missing. A dsp will give you back a full range signal and provide improved clarity over LOCs.

The lc6i is a perfect unit to restore full range without much control. Higher end dsps provide additional tweaks, such as eq and time delay.

If you were just adding a sub, then LOC is fine. Since you are upgrading your door speakers and adding an amp, I recommend using a dsp.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Stock head units have built in equalization to get the most out of the factory door speakers. When adding after market speakers, you may notice entire chunks of frequency response missing. A dsp will give you back a full range signal and provide improved clarity over LOCs.
Not exactly how that all works. you can't add whats not there in the first place...

Reactions: SkizeR

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is anyone familiar with the rockford fosgate DSR1? It states it has most of the same features as the 363 which is there $600 processor and only cost 250.00. I downloaded the app and it looks like you can adjust everything from your smart phone. Also does the price sound legit?.
$2300 for morel tempo ultra components in the front, 12" memphis sub, kenwood 5 channel amp (not sure which amp and was told it would provide 125 rms to the components and 350 to the sub), rockford dsr1. This includes install and tuning the dsp which I was told would take about 2hrs.
Also will I still need a line out converter before the dsp or will the dsp convert the signal. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
19,631 Posts
Is anyone familiar with the rockford fosgate DSR1? It states it has most of the same features as the 363 which is there $600 processor and only cost 250.00. I downloaded the app and it looks like you can adjust everything from your smart phone. Also does the price sound legit?.
$2300 for morel tempo ultra components in the front, 12" memphis sub, kenwood 5 channel amp (not sure which amp and was told it would provide 125 rms to the components and 350 to the sub), rockford dsr1. This includes install and tuning the dsp which I was told would take about 2hrs.
Also will I still need a line out converter before the dsp or will the dsp convert the signal. Thanks in advance
I've installed a dsr1 for a customer who wanted one. Let's just say he was back a month later taking it out.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: unix_usr

·
Registered
19,631 Posts
hey John, your PM's are full. But if you want i'll price match that install with the following.

SB Acoustics SB17CRC35-4 Mids
SEAS Prestige 27TFFNC/G Tweeters
Sound deadening with SDS CLD and a peel and stick CCF
All wiring
Zapco ST-4X SQ
ST-850XM II
Audiofrog G subwoofer 10 or 12" (your choice)
Helix DSP.2

·
Registered
9,305 Posts
You either need a DSP that can de-EQ the factory processing (not all DSPs will do this), or you need to know what the OEM head unit can and cannot do. Almost all OEM head units have built in processing that is less that ideal, especially when you swap speakers. Some can be turned off, some cannot. If you insist on keeping the OEM head unit you need to know it's limitations, and what you can and cannot do about them.

·
Registered
19,631 Posts

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
hey John, your PM's are full. But if you want i'll price match that install with the following.

All wiring
Zapco ST-4X SQ
ST-850XM II
Helix DSP.2
^^^ This.... 100% This. Can't vouch for Nick enough man, do some surfing on this very forum for some prime examples of his work. You won't be dissappointed - I'm considering the 10+ hrs drive to take my ride to him one of these days... If you're close enough it will be worth the drive, especially when you want a supported not just installed system.

·
Registered
286 Posts
If you haven't heard a decent set up with a DSP I would try and demo one and it will sell you on one.

I've installed a dsr1 for a customer who wanted one. Let's just say he was back a month later taking it out.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
Customer here, while I was using it for integration only and a Helix for DSP duties it was noisy and buggy and support was lacking. I wouldn't recommend it.

All wiring
Zapco ST-4X SQ
ST-850XM II
Helix DSP.2
I would take this equipment list over the other two options, I'm running those tweeters, Zapco St amps, and a Helix. I would also recommend Nick in a heartbeat, and spend 2+ hours each way to get to him.

Reactions: unix_usr and SkizeR

·
Premium Member
9,232 Posts
I would also recommend following up with Nick. He is pretty local to you, and likely worth the drive to get a good install with quality components. The return on investment will likely be exponentially better than the two quotes you already have.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Metra has a nice offering with hp/lp filters, time alignment, loc, and 31 band graphic eq that gives you 3 sets of rca outputs, clipping monitor etc... for a stock head unit wanting to add amps and a sub it does not look to bad for less than 300 bucks. Metra ax-dsp. Check it out, it might suite your needs.... but for that price you are already into a pioneer prs-80 And setup for full active negating the need for a dap. Unless your factory head unit is super integral to other functions of your car... go with the 3 way active head unit. The auto tune is a good starting point on your journey to learning system setup and is more than enough to big your head down for now leave a dsp for later... that's what I did.. the learning curve is steep, but it is very rewarding as a hobby.. just this novices $.02 take it with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
19,631 Posts
Metra has a nice offering with hp/lp filters, time alignment, loc, and 31 band graphic eq that gives you 3 sets of rca outputs, clipping monitor etc... for a stock head unit wanting to add amps and a sub it does not look to bad for less than 300 bucks. Metra ax-dsp. Check it out, it might suite your needs.... but for that price you are already into a pioneer prs-80 And setup for full active negating the need for a dap. Unless your factory head unit is super integral to other functions of your car... go with the 3 way active head unit. The auto tune is a good starting point on your journey to learning system setup and is more than enough to big your head down for now leave a dsp for later... that's what I did.. the learning curve is steep, but it is very rewarding as a hobby.. just this novices $.02 take it with a grain of salt.
there is no getting rid of the radio in the OP's car. Not yet at least

1 - 20 of 26 Posts