DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I Just got a Hyundai Veloster and I'd like to install my former system without replacing the stock head unit. I have a JL 8w3v3 with Focal 165 VB 2 way speakers powered by a JL HD 600/4. 300W Bridged for the sub and 300 to power the front speakers. My question is: Will I be achieving my systems full potencial with just a line Output converter? If not, will it at least be a decent result? (Have in mind that I don't listen to loud that often. I praise clarity and quality over volume). Or do you strongly recommend me buying a Signal processor. If so, which processor is the most adequate to my needs and system?

Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew
1,614 Posts
Dude. Let me say this:

GET A SOUND PROCESSOR AND LEARN HOW TO TUNE.

Once you dial a good tune in...there is no comparison.

I have 3 point sources of sound from the front doors and the sub. My mids are setup as a co-ax for the moment.

The sound is incredible, and people are like :ears::love::bowdown:

Since deciding to try SQ a few months ago, getting a DSP opened up a huge avenue I never knew existed. I will also say that to maximize a DSP, that you will want to look into sealing/deadening your doors, it is a huge step up in SQ and along with a DSP will increase your SQ by an order of magnitude.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Dude. Let me say this:

GET A SOUND PROCESSOR AND LEARN HOW TO TUNE.

Once you dial a good tune in...there is no comparison.

I have 3 point sources of sound from the front doors and the sub. My mids are setup as a co-ax for the moment.

The sound is incredible, and people are like :ears::love::bowdown:

Since deciding to try SQ a few months ago, getting a DSP opened up a huge avenue I never knew existed. I will also say that to maximize a DSP, that you will want to look into sealing/deadening your doors, it is a huge step up in SQ and along with a DSP will increase your SQ by an order of magnitude.
Agree 100% with what therapture said. There isn't anything better (equipment wise) than a dsp and sound deadening to make your system sound great, with proper tuning. IMO

If you praise quality sound over volume you want a dsp for sure! That's what they are all about really because you can actually lower your overall SPLl (due to eq cuts). But it will sound much better. Tuning is a whole other side of things. You will search to find a proper tune but when you do it's like viola!

I just went though the whole LOC/dsp thing. I put a quality loc in then took it out about a month later and put a dsp in. Sounded ok with the LOC but I knew I was leaving a lot on the table. Learn from my mistake!

Lots of DSP's will work fine. I have a 360.3 & love it. Mini dsp, helix, alpine, JBL audison, etc would all be fine choices IMHO. Look at reviews/options and pick one which fits your budget/needs.

Some DSP's will auto tune, which may be desired for ease of use but you may want to pick up a USB mic (less than 100$ US) and a free PC program. Search REW (Room EQ Wizard) on Google. Good to give REW a donation though. There are smartphone rta apps that can get you by if you can't afford the whole mic thing. They aren't as accurate though. WARNING tuning can be addictive but in a fun way.

Ok I'm done now.
Good luck!

Reactions: therapture

·
Registered
199 Posts
With a DSP like an Audison Bit One as with similar products you won't need a line converter. Each of your speaker wire output (before connection to speaker) will be connected to the DSP's high level input then processed and signal comes out via RCA output to it's designated amps input. Then load the software from your laptop so you'll have tons of setup with your system once it's linked and communicating.

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
A capable DSP will also allow you to de-EQ the OEM head unit's signal which could be significant and will make or break the results.

Also speaker install integrity and choosing smart locations is just as important as sound treatments and DSP. IE the negative effects of sinking a tweeter an inch under a thick restrictive OE grill won't be over come no matter what DSP you use.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Sale question here, I can't decide if a dsp will help me to really notice a difference in sound, I am also keeping my OEM HU. If I actually get a dsp I am between the bitten from audison and the MS-8 from JBL, my main concern is tuning, if I get the bitten I won't have a clue of running...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lots of DSP's will work fine. I have a 360.3 & love it. Mini dsp, helix, alpine, JBL audison, etc would all be fine choices IMHO. Look at reviews/options and pick one which fits your budget/needs.
Will the JL CL441dsp do the job? I'm down to spend about U$ 300.00 on the processor

·
Registered
2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew
1,614 Posts
Any suggestions?
Save a bit and get a real DSP. I also use the Rockford 3Sixty.3 and love it. Easy to use graphical interface on your laptop.

·
Registered
170 Posts
The most important thing in your car audio chain is the signal processor. World of difference with and without one. Lot's to choose from out there. I recommend starting with the JBL MS-8, easiest to use out of the bunch.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thanks, I like the idea of the auto-tune features of the MS-8, but I am a little worried about how flexible it is to modify the proposed setting ?? What happen if I want to adjust something to match a personal preference? It will allow it? Everything is through the provided screen or it also connects to a computer?

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts