DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my in-line fuse holder came with a 150A fuse and the one and only amp I will be running has a 60a fuse so I'm guessing it will draw a max of 60a. So my question is, well my 150a fuse be ok to run on my power wire from the battery or does it need to be scaled down to be closer to the amps fuse? Maybe a 80a would be better?

Sent from Tapatalk.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
That fuse is not there for your amp, Its for the wire.
If there is a short in the wire the fuse will blow before the car burns.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
You're fusing the power wire, not the amp. 150A fuse is pushing it on OFC 4 gauge. What gauge is the power wire?

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
I'm using 1/0 power cable but the fuse are 120A..... Nothing wrong as I said, as the main fuse is to protect the cable and we won't be pulling all that 120A of power since the alternator won't be able to supply that much of power...
I think we put the main fuse based on the alternator's output will be safer....

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will be running 4 ga. Power wire roughly 12 ft. I read somewhere that the fuse coming off the power wire should be as close to the total number of amps you are pulling with all amplifiers fuses added up and then rounded up to the next level main fuse amp rating. In my case with one amplifirer with a 60 amp fuse I would go to 80 amp power wire fuse. Sorry if I confused anyone, I will try and find that write up.

Sent from Tapatalk.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
I'm using 1/0 power cable but the fuse are 120A..... Nothing wrong as I said, as the main fuse is to protect the cable and we won't be pulling all that 120A of power since the alternator won't be able to supply that much of power...
I think we put the main fuse based on the alternator's output will be safer....
That makes no sense. What if the alternator's output is higher than the fire point of the wire...and thats assuming it can't temporarily draw more power from the battery than the alternator is capable of.

Run a fuse based on the wire size. If that fuse ends up being too small, you need to upgrade your power wire.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok so on bcae1.com it says max fuse size for 4 ga. wire is 125 so I guess thats what I need to get.

Sent from Tapatalk.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
That makes no sense. What if the alternator's output is higher than the fire point of the wire...and thats assuming it can't temporarily draw more power from the battery than the alternator is capable of.

Run a fuse based on the wire size. If that fuse ends up being too small, you need to upgrade your power wire.
Emmm, if you can prove that the a 60A rate amp can draw 60A constantly then your statement make sense and I'm not, else is your statement that does not make sense.... Those competetions guide are first that makes no sense... But yet people believe on that....
Also, you can do a test, put a 300A fuse on your power cable and short it directly to the ground and see what will happen.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
^Not refering to you by any means...
Anyway, an amp won't be drawing the fuse's rated rating... That's for temporary max power... Typical current draw of an amp will be only 10-30% from its rated....
Since you already have the 150A fuse, just leave it as it is, even if your alternator can't supply that amount of current, it will still blow if you have a direct short circuit.... If you don't have that fuse yet, I will suggest to use 80A fuse...
Also, bcae are just giving a general guide, as it never states what type of cable used... Have to know that, there's many brands in the market and all of them don't have the same rating... Not to mention CCA or OFC....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts