DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to know if anyone thinks their system sounds different when you just get into the car and the car is cold inside. My system sounds somewhat thin and less lively for the first few minutes and then quickly really comes to life.

I have multiple batteries and I'm really only listening to coaxials when this happens...

Thoughts?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Temp changes everything about sound and electronics, the greater the temp dif from your normal listening the bigger the sound dif.

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
It gets cold in FL? :)

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
LOL, just messing with people down there. When it gets freezing out there is always a substantial difference, but I've always lived in the snow belt. I usually don't feel like loud music when I'm freezing cold so its never been much of a problem. Mostly it is a lack of bass until things warm up a little.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Actually, cold air is more dense and tranfers pressure better. SPL guys can tell the dif from a warm day to a cold day, as well as the heat dissipation from the heatsinks is more effective when going from cold to warm rather than warm to hot. Basic physics, also cooler internals stay within spec and deliver more precisely.

·
Registered
150 Posts
LOL, just messing with people down there. When it gets freezing out there is always a substantial difference, but I've always lived in the snow belt. I usually don't feel like loud music when I'm freezing cold so its never been much of a problem. Mostly it is a lack of bass until things warm up a little.
That is probably the internals of the amps coming up to temp and then performing at spec when in the proper temp range, the continued cooler temp actually benfits you bunches.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Actually, cold air is more dense and tranfers pressure better. SPL guys can tell the dif from a warm day to a cold day, as well as the heat dissipation from the heatsinks is more effective when going from cold to warm rather than warm to hot. Basic physics, also cooler internals stay within spec and deliver more precisely.
That is probably the internals of the amps coming up to temp and then performing at spec when in the proper temp range, the continued cooler temp actually benfits you bunches.
I'd suggest you try reading some of the links provided. You may be right that cooler temperatures (denser air) may help with the output performance of WARM equipment, but there is a clear loss when the speakers themselves are cold. This is because the impedence spike is reduced, which in turn reduces the efficiency of the driver at it's resonance point (usually on the bottom end), which itself, in turn, reduces output. It is essentially acting like a temporary aperiodic membrane.

NOTE: Since the resonance point of midbass/midrange drivers are typically in the 50-150hz range, and subs are in the 20-50hz range, it stands to reason that a loss of "low-end response" is a typical and expected affect of cold speakers.

·
Registered
95 Posts
During the winter I raise my crossover highpass for my mids in my Jeep. I usually keep them at 80 Hz but once the temp starts to drop, I bring it up to 125 Hz. They sound muddy when they're cold if I don't adjust it. I've also noticed with both of my MRV-F345s, after a certain temperature, one channel cuts out on them. The 345 in my Caprice doesn't seem as sensitive to this as my Jeep. Generally, when it's under freezing, my left mid cuts out in the Jeep until the amp warms up to about 60 degrees. The 345 in my Caprice hasn't done it in quite some time, but I don't use my car during the winter months. Anyone else have a similar issue with an amp? My old MRD-F450 and my Kicker ZX200.2 never did this even in subzero temperatures.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
The ferrofluid in tweeters will stiffen up and reduce output in very cold weather.

·
Registered
120 Posts
My new car has only seen -13c (canadian) in british columbia and nothing sounded any different, I only see issues when my amp is pushed hard with luggage in the trunk above 30c (canadian)

When I was in quebec over christmas we went for a car ride in -29c (canadian) and lil brudder cranked his moms stock nissan system with a lil wayne song he liked too much and sounded as good as when he took me to the strippers when it was only -2c(canadian)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts