DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading old posts about these and alot people are saying that these reduced lfe, but a few other people said it improved "punchiness." npdang said they should be acoustically transparent. so im confused. Should i buy them or not. Id prefer not to cut them up if i dont have to. I dont want to see any water damage on my sls's.:confused:

·
Registered
152 Posts
I can't say if they change sound or not as I don't have them. I run baffles for my front doors as the RX-8 is very bad about water on the speakers.

I cut the bottom of the baffles out so that it acts more like an umbrella.

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
Sure they do. A powerful driver can suck them in but they will not let the air out so they are sort of like a box. If you put them on some normal driver they will tighten them right up, of course a standard car driver is typically IB designed so it takes most of the bass right out of them. It depends on what you are doing how well it works. I have posted how to tune them I did it a lot with normal car drivers such as coax and it works great. If you have some mega driver they don't always work the same because they can suck them in or have huge motors that near fill the baffle leaving near no airspace in them. For regular stuff on a HP they can help keep the low bass out, thus keeping them from xmaxing and allow a little more power into them. You might get a little more high bass out of them tuned. If you just want water protection hack the bottoms out. If you are really worried then cover the bottoms with poly material, like used in a quilt or furnace filter. It is open but a splash of water can get caught in it, however I'd say get a car with no holes in the doors instead lol. The baffles work even better on cheap coax that bottom easily, but you end up toasting the tweeters with too much power. I found some entry low rms coax sound really nice, but don't complain about toasting them if you go that road. The best are usually entry level but a quality brand. You just cut (or tape up) enough slot in the bottom to get more midbass but not enough to xmax.

·
Registered
7,792 Posts
IMO they have their place like stated above. They don't take the place of a good solid enclosure with rigid walls, yet there's several home audio and a few automotive drivers that can benefit from using a xtc that is a bit oversized with a good seal. Never thought about the aspect of burning up the tweeter though. Generally I would use them for bringing some richness to some small midbass to midranges that need a better enclosure than IB.

Had some old Polk 5x7" in some, that when taken out you could tell a big difference. Low end was just ughhhh... For someone with just deck power they would benefit. Got some Diamond 5.25 comps that could surely use it. Have to cross them way up and am only feeding them a USB-4065. They need some sort of enclosure bad. Spec'd on a WT3 they showed they would fair better in a .1 enclosure with the same F3hz as IB, but far less excursion. Right now I hate them and the only way I would keep them is to place them in a xtc and find some success. Not expecting gobs of midbass, but they sound fairly hollow and seem to handle no power.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm using them to protect sls6.5s running around 60-200ish hz. I'm powering them off a class d jbl amp so i have more than enough power. I need to protect them from water because when i removed the peerless nomex i had in before i could see some water damage on the motor. I was initially planning on coating the xtc baffles with fiberglass and making an aperiodic enclosure but that ending up being way to much work so i kicked that **** in the trash:mad:

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
Far as toasting tweets, I was running 35-50rms speakers on 75 or more. Since they are more efficient they go pretty loud but if you get greedy and keep the woofer from xmaxing you can go too far lol. At least they are cheaper to replace. The problem is you have to try some to find ones that sound good, or ask a good installer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts