DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first attempt was in my 70 Buick GS Stage 1. A pioneer Supertuner II twin shaft. A set of pioneer 6x9s in the back deck. and a pair of Jet Sound 6 1/2 in the doors.
My next car was a 75 Buick Century Indy Pace car. A cheap small chassis twin shaft. I purchased for IIRC like $60. at a Car audio tent sale. I think I just used the stock speakers.
My third attempt was one of the best, yeah right. 1970 GTO. The same twin shaft out of the pace car. would fit in the dash of the GTO. so I put it in the glove box. Along with a $19.95 booster/EQ. on top. with a set of Kenwood 6x9s in the deck. I remember one of the channels going out on the booster so I wired the speakers to one remaining channel.
The time period was 1982-1985.

What horrors did you create when you first got into car audio.

Tim

·
Registered
838 Posts
my 1976 chevy chevette 2 door 4 speed,it was back in 1985 and i had put 2 8s in a plywood box i cant remember my gear but i just drove around blasting exodus and slayer and it sounded good at the time,looking back at it it probably sounded like utter poop:D

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
87 jetta sedan, Panasonic cd headunit with stock speakers in the front, and 3 way home built radio shack parts speakers in the trunk, the pair took up the whole trunk and were powered off the deck..it..kinda..sounded ok..

this was in 1998, I guess I'm young lol.

·
Banned
865 Posts
My first car audio project was in a 1976 Grand Prix, and involved a Royal Sound AM/FM-Cassette HU, some sort of swap-meet quality booster-EQ which my sister gave me for xmas, and some speakers I don't even recall...

My first upgrade came after some a-hole broke my window and stole my swap-meet booster-EQ, speakers and a bunch of cassette tapes... I then ended up with an Alphasonik EQ and a 100x2 JVC amp along with some Jensen "triax" 6x9s... I think I was pretty proud of that back then, but I'd like to go back in time and hear how horrible that actually sounded :D

Thanks for posting this question, wagonmaster :) It's like therapy for me to go back and remember where this disease actually started :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
1979 toyota corolla SR5.

Pioneer shaft type super tuner II head unit with missing knobs (wedged pennies in the splits at the ends of the shafts to turn).

Kicker 3.5" components without tweeter in the doors. Speakers had been dug out of the dumpster behind stillwater designs and the cones were silaconed back together where they had been knifed by the employees in an attempt to "destroy" them im sure. Pioneer gm 800 (20x2 rated if i recall correctly and that was probably rated on the high side)

2 Pioneer impp freeair 10's in a Q logic dual bandpass driven full range off of an alpine 3519 (35x2 I think) amplifier that got so hot even at 4 ohm stereo that you would burn your hand on it. I had either 14 or 10 gauge power wire ran to the amp and it eventually got so hot that it melted all of the plastic coating off of the wire.

Yes, it was quite the sq machine :)

·
Banned
865 Posts
87 jetta sedan, Panasonic cd headunit with stock speakers in the front, and 3 way home built radio shack parts speakers in the trunk, the pair took up the whole trunk and were powered off the deck..it..kinda..sounded ok..

this was in 1998, I guess I'm young lol.
LOL, Mike, weren't you like 13 yrs old in 1998? :D

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Must I?

My very first "system" was a factory radio in an 88 Ford Tempo w/ factory speakers and a Radio shack 12" woofer powered off the HU by tapping into one of the rear speakers and the sub being left in it's cardboard box, but taped up in an attempt to make it a "sealed enclosure".

This was my very first car and I was 14 with no idea of what I was doing (obviously). This was back in 98' as well for me too.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts

Bought a Chevy Sprint (my first car).

Got a used Clarion tape deck, free from a garage sale. Installed it, and blew my driver's side factory door speaker, within about an hour.

Went to Radio Shack, and go a set of Realistic speakers, and installed them.

As I recall... I actually thought it sounded OK!

I was 19.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
LOL, Mike, weren't you like 13 yrs old in 1998? :D

yep, 13! been tinkering with audio for a few years already and had friends with older brothers and it was a cool way to get into the teenage cool crowd.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Mine was in a 67 Ford galaxie. 2 GS redline 15's on 2 Profile baja 200's Few too mant sets of JBL bi9's

So glad picture taking wasn't the norm back then

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Oh god....here goes.....freaking sparkomatic ff only tape deck, realistic 150 watt (yes, it said 150 watts) eq booster, powering two kenwood ported boxes with 10s and lil horn tweets mounted behind the seat resting comfortably between yer back and the gas tank, tweets pointed up, in a 1970 ford longbed.........lmao. I was amazed when I moved up from the booster to a real pioneer amp rated at 100 watts.......it's was eardrum splitting loud. Other than a complete lack of any bass below about 70hz, I was quite fond of it after the dose of the real amps power. Not long after that I removed the two post mounts and stepped up to the alpine tape deck....which let me actually rewind! (GASP!)

·
Registered
722 Posts
Chevy s-10
Kenwood changer run through the stock delco head unit. Hid the display in my sun visor.
Orion moon & stars amp can't remember the model. 240 or 260gt
Two mtx terminator eights in a tiny box built in shop class. It may of been .5 cuft
Jbl 4x6 coax in the dash.

I live In The country so back then a cd changer with an RF setup was mind blowing. Two small subs that got fairly loud killed em too.

Upgraded to a single Orion 10"dvc when the XTR's came out. Smoked said Orion amp shortly afterward. That was my crash course in driver impedance at 16.

Went with an eclipse ECD head unit and a soundstream ref 300 later and the rest is history. That was around '91

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Oh lord, here we go. In my VW baja, a Targa twin shaft that I bought off of a friend (hot,stolen ), with a Unic amp powering a set of home speakers thrown in the back. Wires EVERYWHERE! I bungee corded the home speakers in the back so they wouldn't flop around. ... I thought I was "Billy bad ass" typical 15 year old. Lololol

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
the sub being left in it's cardboard box, but taped up in an attempt to make it a "sealed enclosure".
I feel better knowing I wasn't the only one to try that.:blush:

I'll play
1st car- '85 LeSabre 4dr (nick named "Smokey Brown") :rolleyes:
Kenwood CD player, stock speakers. Sounded OK.
Spun a main bearing before I could save up for subs and an amp.

2nd car- '84 Jeep Cherokee 4dr 4x4
Same CD player, all speakers were shot, so I put a pair of 3-way 8" Bose bookshelf speakers, from my bedroom, on the back seat.
A garage sale, unpowered, ported, Cerwin Vega home theater "10, in the back, rounded out the sound.