DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newb, 1st post. When you mount new after-market speakers to an adapter or factory mount, do you use Silicon to seal it? I know you are supposed to use it between the adapter/spacer and the door. But between the speaker and adapter, I wasn't sure. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
897 Posts
No, nore will I ever!!

·
Registered
12,569 Posts
I prefer non-hardening modeling clay, can be purchased at hobby shops.

Look in the build logs and you'll see how it's been used by some folks !

·
Registered
347 Posts
The fumes/chemical off gases from silicon can and do adversely affect many Different materials. I second, non hardening modeling clay. I've even seen it at the local dollar store though I haven't tried it yet.

"duct seal" (found in the electrical section of your local home improvement store) or clay also makes for a decent deadener around baffles. Not sure if MDF will suck moisture out of the clay and become swollen and soft. Anybody?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Personally I use Stinger Overkill as a gasket material, easily compresses to make an airtight seal, no residue on the speaker if you remove it, cuts quickly to size with a razor knife or sissors and is fairly inexpensive.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I second the rope caulk. Very easy to size, place, handle, and remove. Also, it's completely weather proof so it won't degrade.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Yes. I let it dry for a few days so it gasses off.

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
I normally keep a cheap roll of the gray self adhesive weatherstripping you can find just about anywhere including wallyworld. I use it for speaker mounting gaskets especially subs. Stopped using silicone years ago due to cure time, mess, and potential damage from fumes. Weatherstripping is just plain simpler.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Not sure if MDF will suck moisture out of the clay and become swollen and soft. Anybody?
Unsealed MDF will absorb oil from the clay. It swells with water, even high humidity will do it over time.

Another yes vote for rope caulk.
Available in the weatherstrip aisle of the hardware store.

·
Banned
2,534 Posts
Just use CA glue then liquid nail , then roofing tar. :D

But rope caulk works good also butyl rope

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Will have to check out that rope caulk at my local Ace hardware.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I hate rope caulk, putty, closed cell foam, silicone etc.. This stuff is great, has a peel and stick side and is very flexible to make a flat turn around cutout and compresses perfectly flat.

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
Good thread! I'll have to do this soon, probably should have done this when I deadened the door...

·
Registered
815 Posts
Just use CA glue then liquid nail , then roofing tar. :D

But rope caulk works good also butyl rope
Damn.. beat me too it..

I use this stuff ALL the time, got it awhile back, has lasted me through a few installs..

Speaker Caulk...

12" Speaker Sealing Caulk Box of 72 Pcs. 260-400

Seals like CA & liquid nails, looks like roofing tar, but comes off a lot easier.. ;)

AND if you need something thicker (speaker ring mounts to doors, between tight spaces, etc)
Use the rope from Don at SDS.. GOOD stuff..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts