Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.
I've heard that class AB is better for speakers because the sound quality is better and D is better for subs because the efficiency is better.
I'm interested in the new digital amps because of their small footprint, but not at the cost of sacrificing quality.
This was reiterated by a post I read recently, while Manish did a very detailed review of the Audible Physics AR3K's. In it he stated:

"I recognized that using full range class d/g/h amps leave a little off the “plate” when it comes to the lower end. Best way to describe it is to say the lower octaves are a little softer or thinner. So I inform the guys I have a brand new hertz ep4x still in the box out in my car (class a/b). I bring the amp in, walt does the install and after setting the x-over and gain we all sit down to listen to the drivers again….

Anybody who ever tries to discuss/argue with me about not hearing a difference between amp topolgy is crazy! I don’t care about stats, theories, and if you have a phd! All 3 of us noticed a big difference and I’m not talking spl, I’m talking about significant widening of the soundstage and increased clarity. I’m now hearing the valves opening and closing on a wind instrument on some tracks. It was there before, but not like it is now. I’m not a stranger to full range digital amps as I’m a former owner of 3 kenwood kac-x4r and I advocate anyone to get one if they can. But the hertz brought out details in the music."

Obviously, in the above example, the AB amp made a noticeable difference. I'm looking for feedback. Thanks!

·
Registered
427 Posts
Honestly, this topic has been beaten to death. Do some searches around here and you'll see quite a few threads referencing this debate, the answers range from "there's no appreciable difference" to "anything but AB sounds like a pound of nails in a dryer." Or just go listen to as many amps as you can find with similar specs and decide for yourself.

·
Registered
145 Posts
honestly, my take, its more on who makes what. Im bias. its really on who makes the amp and what topology/built quality employed that makes a difference. it doesnt matter if its class A, AB, K, D, G, etc. Zapco, is known for SQ amps and their entry levels are class AB while they have a C2K variant that is class D.

·
Registered
102 Posts
My JL HD amp sounds better than the older JL AB amps. Again, it could be the install and every other piece of the audio chain - but too be honest unless you are planning on competing a quality class D amp will most likely fit your needs.

·
Registered
8,524 Posts

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Zapco, is known for SQ amps and their entry levels are class AB while they have a C2K variant that is class D.
WRONG! Only the C2K 9.0 is Class D.

Also, THIS ALREADY HAS BEEN DISCUSSED A MILLION TIMES!!! TRY "SEARCH" NEXT TIME! :mad:

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
Honestly, this topic has been beaten to death. Do some searches around here and you'll see quite a few threads referencing this debate, the answers range from "there's no appreciable difference" to "anything but AB sounds like a pound of nails in a dryer." Or just go listen to as many amps as you can find with similar specs and decide for yourself.
this ^^^ :dead_horse:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Amp class undisputably makes a difference to some. Placebo pills also make a great difference to some too! ;)

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've heard that class AB is better for speakers because the sound quality is better and D is better for subs because the efficiency is better.
A well designed class D has potential to "sound better" than even a great Class AB. Not that you'd likely hear the difference in even the quietest of cars with the finest driverss and the most well implemented of crossovers, as those factors are still by far the dominant factors to sound quality degradation. The only thing with class D is that special attention has to be taken to have low output impedance and a high switching frequency. And as long as you're using decently sensitive speakers, you shouldn't need a world of power either for good unclipped sound quality. Focus on the car / drivers / setup.

"I recognized that using full range class d/g/h amps leave a little off the “plate” when it comes to the lower end. .... I have a brand new hertz ep4x still in the box out in my car (class a/b).
...you... DO realize that class G / H are class AB amplifiers for most of their operation, right?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks to everyone for their serious answers. I truly appreciate the sincere feedback.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.