DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
does anybody use sound absorbing material

does anyone use sound absorbing material, on the door panel, not the inside of the panel, but the outside. or under the dash, or on top of the dash. I remeber reading about a car using a bunch of sound absorber with good results. I'll see if I can find it.

·
DIYMA lurker
802 Posts
You mean like putting egg carton-shaped foam all over the interior? I'd like to see how that looks. Just out of curiosity though, not because I would ever consider doing it to my car.

Dan

·
Registered
127 Posts
I remember seeing somebody's car that had carpet all over the dash and all over the place, for sound absorption. It looked pretty funny but the guy said that it worked pretty well. It may have been somebody from this board, I can't remember.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd like to see that, but oh well.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Well there are several different materials that will work. Like already mentioned, the egg carton type foam works well. But its bulky as all hell. I like my closed cell foam, or Ensolite, as its known. YOu can get it from Raam Audio (Rick the owner) sells it for great prices. I have Ensolite over my deadening matting (Raam BXT60). That combination works the best. Here are a few pics of my stuff:

Raam BXT60 (2 layers) on doors panels:
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/518000-518999/518721_69_full.jpg

Floor of extra cab (again 2 layers):
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/518000-518999/518721_158_full.jpg

Ensolite on rear cab wall (sorry for the hard to see pic of it...its the black foam stuff on the back):
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/518000-518999/518721_165_full.jpg

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think the last one is what I'm talking about, the other two are for the inner metal door panels.

·
Registered
531 Posts
my whole dash is covered with open cell foam and a carpet dash pad....took care of a ton of reflections....

my underdash....i took out the factory panels....got some wire "mesh" that has about...1/2" by 1/2" squares in it....put egg crate foam on the top facing down toward the floor of the car....put open cell foam on the bottom of it....got out the needle and thread...sewed the two layers together onto the mesh....covered the bottom with carpet and installed back in the factory positions....

the need for eq'ing from 1k on up disappeared.....

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Ensolite Foam = [email protected] Rick McCallum is the owner, he will give you a great price on it.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
derek, any pics.

·
Registered
531 Posts
yes....let me dig for them :)

·
Registered
531 Posts

here is the crater it created in the response from 1k to 4k....which was pretty heavily eq'd before hand....and then i took it all out and she was pretty damn flat...

done on behringer 2496 with the ecm8000 mic....

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for posting.

I can see why many might not do that. I dont think i'll mind though.

and the dash, any pics of that.

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
Wow nice! I think I will copy that and put it into the diy article forum.

·
Registered
531 Posts
scott buwalda did a really good writeup on car sound about this type of stuff....

at least..i think it was buwalda...and i think it was carsound.....:)

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It might have been soundillusions.net, I think I remember those pics.

·
Registered
531 Posts
DearS said:
It might have been soundillusions.net, I think I remember those pics.

that's where i've posted my pics....

but there was a writeup on carsound....it was awhile ago though...

·
Registered
397 Posts
nice derek,
are any kind of open cell foam good for absorbing sound?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts