DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About to finish my install and I noticed the tweeters and manual make no mention of polarity on the provided leads. I figured out the woofer ones by looking at the board in the crossover, but the tweeters don’t have that. Anyone know?
Focal Flax PS165F

· Member Emeritus - RIP
5,646 Posts
99.9% of the time a lead with RED in it is positive. If for some reason this is not true try swapping leads.

FYI. You may need to do this anyway to get the best results depending on mounting position. Electrical polarity does not necessarily equal acoustic polarity.

Ge0

· Registered
107 Posts

Here they say that green is positive)))

Damn, focal. Why can't you just mark it like it's on crossover...
$800 speakers and no idea how to wire them correctly....

· Registered
3,938 Posts
You can simply use some speaker wire and a single AA battery to test the speaker terminals...whichever terminal causes the cone to move forward when connected to the positive tit on the battery is the positive terminal. If you have leads with alligator clips it is extremely easy to do all by yourself but if you dont have alligator clips just grab a second set of hands to help.
FYI --There is NO way to hurt the speaker while doing htis with an AA battery...the cone will either move in or out.

· Registered
11,370 Posts
Yes, but you don't see that on the tweeter... cone is too small to figure out.
Try placing a piece of tissue paper over it, and one of the connections should move the tissue paper up a little.

· Administrator
3,074 Posts
You're over-thinking this... Focal is fairly consistent with their wiring schemes, and doesn't typically do things to confuse 'the norm'.
In your picture below: The red wire is the positive. The clear wire (copper color) is negative.

The guy on the other forum, that is stating he has a green lead for positive, likely bought a fake set of Focals.

Reactions: LBaudio

· Registered
3,938 Posts
The guy on the other forum, that is stating he has a green lead for positive, likely bought a fake set of Focals.
The ONLY problem with that statement is that the member name of "the guy" on the other forum is
"FocalPro" and is subtitled as "Company Rep" and with their logo below that...MAYBE he is a counterfeit Focal Rep, but IMO thats ALOT of potential legal exposure and trouble to go through to help a guy out with a pair of speakers!! JK/LOL

Text Font Blue Line Screenshot

· Administrator
3,074 Posts
I'm a bit confused on where this green wire is...?
When i look at the picture; I see a red wire, and a clear (copper) color wire.

· Registered
659 Posts
@jimmydee note the date on the quoted post from the other site, not referencing the same conversation methinks lol.

For the record, I would like to state that it is fairly stupid of Focal to not just stamp a freaking + and - on the tweeter basket. Granted you won't blow it up wiring it reverse phase, but what's wrong with giving customers a chance at wiring things in electrical phase to start with? If they really think it doesn't need to be marked then they shouldn't bother marking any of their speakers ... just sayin

· Registered
12,625 Posts
does it matter? seriously? wire them the same and you are golden. as others have mentioned, you may have to switch polarity to make them sound best anyway. just wire them the same (flip a coin) and call it a day.

· Registered
107 Posts
I wired them as red being positive for now. There is a YouTube video where they checking the polarity with apple app. I have android phone a didn't get a chance to get ahold of the iPhone yet but will definitely test it later.

· Registered
4 Posts
I have the same speakers and wired the red as positive for the tweeters. The phase tool told me that was wrong! Woofer was correct, tweeter was wrong. Using Focal crossover, not active.

I wired them as red being positive for now. There is a YouTube video where they checking the polarity with apple app. I have android phone a didn't get a chance to get ahold of the iPhone yet but will definitely test it later.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.