Votes: 21 13.1%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think?

I feel like the music sounds more full compared to day time listening. Could it be the dense air? less background noise? less light at night so increased auditory senses?

·
Registered
365 Posts
There's much less ambient noise at night, it's the same reason people generally listen to TV at lower volumes the later it gets.

·
Registered
145 Posts
i agree wholeheartedly with that ambient noise comment

i have had people who have auditioned my setup - and it never sounded as good during the day as it does at night

maybe its a placebo - but it does feel like it does sound better at night to me as well

·
Registered
492 Posts
Definitely agree with the responses. I finished up my install late at night, went for a drive to have a listen and was absolutely giddy with the sound. Woke up the next morning and during my commute to work, wasn't nearly as impressed.

Music sounds better with your eyes closed. So it's less auditory interference and less visual distraction as well.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I think it's placebo, I noticed mine seemed to sound way better at night, but put up a sun shade during the day and my little brain thinks it sounds better.
same effect as the blind person who hears better. your senses can only do so much, while one is concentrating on light the other cant concentrate as well on sound. completely wrong of course, but hey, it's my view and I'm sticking with it.

·
Registered
336 Posts
"dude! have you heard my system?"

"dude! have you heard my system... ...on weeeeeeeeeed?"

:eek:
lol. Gotta agree on this subject, at night audio systems just sound better. Not sure why. It's why when I get enough money I want to build a sound room that's completely dark and sit in total darkness listening to music just to see if this theory holds true.

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,289 Posts
i know mine sounds better at night. it just sounds more "full". maybe it's from the drivers not being heated up by the sun? or maybe we're all just crazy:)

·
Registered
751 Posts
Consider that tribal gatherings occurred at night as well...
We may just be geared to expect/appreciate the drum beat from dusk till dawn...
Nocturnal animals/insects kinda have a beat of their own....
Early humans were probably stimulated to chime in....
Then drums...
Then instruments!

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Consider that tribal gatherings occurred at night as well...
We may just be geared to expect/appreciate the drum beat from dusk till dawn...
Nocturnal animals/insects kinda have a beat of their own....
Early humans were probably stimulated to chime in....
Then drums...
Then instruments!
interesting concept.

as contronversial as it is, music is very much spiritual. spriritual stuff is more active at night (think "dead time"...)...

maybe we are just more in touch with the spiritual world at night = more in touch with music.

deep shiz, yo!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Totally agree with everyone. I find that I sometimes I wait till nightfall just to go out on a cruise and listen. During the day, it seems like there is so much more on your mind, so not only do you have all the ambient noise muffling the music, but also all the noise in your head. At night, I'm typically more relaxed and more easily moved by the music. It's similar to closing your eyes while listening as someone else mentioned.

·
Registered
449 Posts
i think my bass hits harder in the summer as oppossed to other times of the year, but i agree with the night thing as well

·
Registered
897 Posts
I actually think, and please don't laugh as i had to really think about this one :p , But i think as humans, who by nature are hunters, at night we tend to be more alert. It seems that like other animals our senses just becomes more atuned to our enviroment. Have you noticed how most predators feed at night, their senses are more sensitive when there is less light. Humans being hunters and at times prey have become adapted to being more keen at night. kinda like how new mothers usally become light sleepers when they have a newborn. that with the fact that there is less noise at night may help with that. I also think light may decrease our other sense slightly as we now are using more visual information in our brains than at night. just my 2cents

edit: i found this...
http://www.edu.pe.ca/gray/class_pages/krcutcliffe/physics521/15sound/applets/RefractionofSoundWaves.htm

·
Registered
235 Posts
i think my bass hits harder in the summer as oppossed to other times of the year, but i agree with the night thing as well
It does, there was a thread explaining why a while back.

I love driving around at night listening to some tunes! I think it does sound better.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
At home, I think music does sound better when it's dark. I think it's entirely psychoacoustic, because concerts are usually dark and at night.

In the car, music often "sounds" better in broad daylight with the top down!

1 - 20 of 93 Posts