DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Lexus Ct200h Fsport
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One example I have in my mind is lets say you have a great system everything is down perfectly then in a car here you roll your windows down and people hear your music. Would ppl notice the difference btw a stock system tuned correctly vs a sq system tuned correctly? Would people actually be able to hear a difference in the music being clearer say for people who is like 0 - 10 ft - 100 ft away? When is the point of no return when people will not be able to hear the difference? And can the people actually be able to hear a significant difference or maybe a small difference?

·
Registered
2016 Lexus Ct200h Fsport
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what does this matter? Are you building your stereo for people outside your car?
oh no LOL this has nothing to do with my system. I am just wanting to know... Would people actually be able to hear a difference in the music being clearer say for people who is like 0 - 10 ft - 100 ft away? When is the point of no return when people will not be able to hear the difference? And can the people actually be able to hear a significant difference or maybe a small difference?

That's exactly what I want to know this has nothing to do with my car. Its a general question

·
Registered
42 Posts
the answer is no!. outside the car , system with excess sharpness , bass sounds much better. try this ,

turn ur loud off (mostly off in sq systems) and hear it from outside.
now turn ur loud on and hear it. the excess sharpness and bass boost makes i sound better outside.

·
Old Schooler
962 Posts
At the racetrack recently one of the guys was playing the system in his Suburban with all the doors open and clarity wise it actually sounded pretty good from the outside (no stage/imaging of course) but once inside the car with closed doors it sounded like complete a$$. :shrug: Based on that I'd say a crappy system can sound better with everything opened up :p possibly due to less reflections/phase issues etc.

·
Registered
42 Posts
well i have alwaz had some issues with my car. when i am driving alone , the bass seems to hit harder. with somone besides me (front passanger seat) THE bass seems to become less. and with rear passanger filling up , my system sounds like a complete a$$. i dont know wats the issue but i have had this with all my systems. also rolling down the windows makes my bass hit harder. opening up my front doors makes it sounds better. but opening up my rear doors makes the low end bass sound like distrotion. lol

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
...lets say you have a great system everything is down perfectly then in a car here you roll your windows down and people hear your music. Would ppl notice the difference btw a stock system tuned correctly vs a sq system tuned correctly? .
No, they still still think you are a tool.

·
Old Schooler
962 Posts
also rolling down the windows makes my bass hit harder.
That part leads me to believe you have some cancellation issues. Have you tried changing the orientation of the sub enclosure?

·
Registered
2016 Lexus Ct200h Fsport
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
At the racetrack recently one of the guys was playing the system in his Suburban with all the doors open and clarity wise it actually sounded pretty good from the outside (no stage/imaging of course) but once inside the car with closed doors it sounded like complete a$$. :shrug: Based on that I'd say a crappy system can sound better with everything opened up :p possibly due to less reflections/phase issues etc.
That is very interesting. It makes me wander now how hard would it be to tune a system to have your windows down and for people to hear you music better. Just an idea of variables. Now the main reason I would want to ask a question like this would be when I go to the beach or lake I like to open my doors some times to listen to music while sitting outside or just have the windows down. It also makes me wander how hard it would be with tweeters in A-Pillars and to tune in general for a better system. With great processors out there now it would be easy to do once for Example the zapco dsp6 I have you can have multiple presets on there so If I went to the lake or beach or any where where I would want to hear the music more broader and sound better this issue could be used.

·
Registered
754 Posts
just put speakers outside the car....duh!!!!
I was at the shopping mall a few months ago and a mid 90s suburban on 24s pulled in with speakers blaring some rap song and your typical ghetto-fab boy driving, and the speakers were definitely mounted under the hood firing toward the front/ground under the vehicle. All treble, nothing else and you could hear it from a mile away. It was hilarious I had to laugh out loud.

Some people just blow my mind with their ways of getting attention...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I usually only really hear the bass and the tweeters from far away. I'd imagine you could maybe hear some difference depending on how good your ear is. As far as your average person listening to it, I doubt they'd notice a difference.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Who would have thought when you take a stereo source and place it at a distance it becomes mono. In an open environment, like the middle of a field, practically all environmental ques are thrown out the window, and the only thing that really matters is summed frequency response at the point you are listening at.

Remember, low frequency sounds carry much more energy than high frequencies, and subsequently, will travel longer distances. That means at 10ft you may have a slight high-end roll off, but at 100ft, all you will hear is the bass. That's why you can hear people "bump" from long distances.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
If you stand right in front of my near the front bumper, it will be loud as if you were standing on the stage of a live performance... because my stage is THAT deep from the driver seat.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
oh no LOL this has nothing to do with my system. I am just wanting to know...

. . .

That's exactly what I want to know this has nothing to do with my car. Its a general question
Now the main reason I would want to ask a question like this would be when I go to the beach or lake I like to open my doors some times to listen to music while sitting outside or just have the windows down.
orly

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
If you stand right in front of my near the front bumper, it will be loud as if you were standing on the stage of a live performance... because my stage is THAT deep from the driver seat.
LMAO

OP: Quit pretending, you are showing off...:rolleyes:

Go buy a set of home audio bookshelves/towers (find some that are 4 ohm if you are feeling rowdy) and do like Mark said and put them outside the car. Unplug your speakers, plug these in (or run a seperate amp just for these guys) and rock out. EDIT: You are trying to do this with that new Black Eyed Peas song, arent you... :(

·
18,694 Posts
Think this kind of explains this thread…

So to tell you guys a funny story last night I was bassin in my car with windows down currently 1000-1200rms and one jbl w12gti sealed box in there. And there was a cop that had his windows down driving a tahoe. Well I was first at the light on my side going vertical and he was horizontal from me on the right side first at the light. So he heard some one bassin and started looking around and couldnt seem to find out who it was so he got on his walkie and I was laughing cause after he started looking I just rolled up the windows and kept bassin at full power and he couldt find me. My goal was to have lots of bass and not much noise or no noise outside of the car/trunk so no one can notice me. After all the deadener in the trunk my goal has been a success.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts