DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I've finally decided on a system, but wanted to get people's thoughts.

The car is a 2010 535i that comes with iDrive and the HiFi factory system (no Logic 7). This system involves 4" components in the front doors and parcel shelf as well as 8" underseat woofers. The car has a provision for a 4" center channel that is not currently used. The depth in the doors limits

Here's the plan
MS-8 (2-way front, center, rears, and sub for 8 channels)
JL Audio HD600/4 (150 x 4 for the doors and under seats)
JL Audio HD900/5 (150 x 1 for the center, 100 x 2 for rears, 500 x 1 for sub)
Morel 4" Hybrid Ovation IIs in the doors
Morel 4" Integra Ovation for the center
Morel 4" Tempo co-ax in the rear
Jehnert XE200s for the underseats
JL Audio 13tw5 for a sub

The Jehnerts are drop ins for the under seat and I wanted to have as close to voice matched speakers all the way around. I also like the Morel sound, so I think I'm pretty good there. I want to keep as much of the trunk available as possible. The MS-8 and JL amps will stack under the factory trunk liner in the corner without too much issue.

For the sub, I want to keep the spare tire and maximize trunk space. The JL has decent output and is super shallow. The box I'm thinking would be approximately 3" deep at the top, and 8" deep at the bottom. I'm thinking of sealing it to the rear seat and firing it through the skipass. My thought is this would minimize rattles and maximize trunk space.

Questions
I'm unsure if it's worth swapping the rear components for the co-ax?
I can't seem to hunt down an SI BM mkIII or I'd probably use that. The other option is the Alpine Type-R shallow. Any thoughts on a better shallow sub to use? I don't need a ton of output.

Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Sounds like what I would recommend! :) It'll be kickass.

Actually, I have to thank you sir. The way you have the amps configured to drive those 8 channels is genius! (Or maybe I'm just a dummy for not figuring this out myself...). I have the same amps, also in a BMW. But I elected to use the HD600/4 to drive the L,C,R 4" speakers (1 channel unused) and the HD900/5 for the underseats (bridged) and the sub.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't take credit for the amp configuration - I received that idea from someone else. It's a strange quirk of the HD900/5 that bridging two 100-watt channels gives you one 150-watt channel.

I hate wasting channels, so this is the most efficient way. My other idea was to use a 600/6 + 700/5. That would be 75 x 5 + 200 x 2 for the underseats, and 300 x 1 for the sub (but that wouldn't work with the tw5).

·
Registered
126 Posts
researching for the past few weeks on my E60 with Logic 7....but I did come across a lot of threads on non L7 systems

your front speaker and rear speakers are run off the DECK. so your LOC will have to be tapped from the deck. You'll have to run new speaker wire from the trunk to your speakers.

your MS-8 is probably going to sum everything and redistribute to all 9 channels.

The under seat woofers are powered off the rear amp so that's easier to tap.

The rest of your gear sounds solid. Great choices.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm planning on one of Technic's harnesses to handle the wiring. The goal is to not cut a single OEM wire on this one, and I think I can pull it off. I want the whole system to be able to be returned to stock once all is said and done.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'm planning on one of Technic's harnesses to handle the wiring. The goal is to not cut a single OEM wire on this one, and I think I can pull it off. I want the whole system to be able to be returned to stock once all is said and done.
I'm waiting for him to restock the OEM harnesses too before I start.

just need to tap/LOC the front and the under seat woofers....that's a full signal to sum...but in my case I'm not investing in a MS-8 just yet. the Logic 7 is a bit easier to install aftermarket gear since the wiring for the whole system is in the trunk.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm waiting for him to restock the OEM harnesses too before I start.

just need to tap/LOC the front and the under seat woofers....that's a full signal to sum...but in my case I'm not investing in a MS-8 just yet. the Logic 7 is a bit easier to install aftermarket gear since the wiring for the whole system is in the trunk.
The non-logic 7 is pretty easy due to the fact that the headunit outputs a flat signal. It is a bummer that I have to run a ton of cable though - I would have preferred to not have to touch any of it.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
The non-logic 7 is pretty easy due to the fact that the headunit outputs a flat signal. It is a bummer that I have to run a ton of cable though - I would have preferred to not have to touch any of it.
The OEM speaker wiring in the BMWs is very beefy, why would you need to run a "bunch" of wires when all you really need is the center?

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The OEM speaker wiring in the BMWs is very beefy, why would you need to run a "bunch" of wires when all you really need is the center?
I have a non-Logic 7 system. As a result, the front and rear speakers are powered by the headunit. The underseats are powered by a small amplifier in the trunk.

Here's the amplifier:
RealOEM.com   BMW E60N 535i amplifier / holder hifi system

It's in the same spot as the Logic 7 amplifier:
RealOEM.com   BMW E60N 535i Amplifier/holder,HiFi Professional DSP

So I'm going to:

1. intercept the wiring at the headunit and have the output of the headunit run to the rear of the car through a new harness
2. Those wires will be used on the input side of the MS-8
3. A new harness will connect to my amplifiers/passives and run back to behind the headunit
4. That harness will plug into the factory wires and distribute to the speakers
5. Use OEM style plugs to attach the new speakers to the old harness
6. There's a separate harness to interface with the underseat woofers

It's a ton of extra wires, but it gets the job done. I'd much prefer to be able to sum, un-eq the L7, and run a whole lot less cable, but such is life.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I had no idea the E60 Hifi system had a different configuration compared to the E9x. That sucks, but at least you have diff. balanced FLAT outputs....

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Blowing off the rear fill is not good advice for an MS-8 system.
i hear ya but,

psychoacoustics considered,

i cant see any benefit of having speakers behind me unless its for movies.

killer bass while driving and listening to music has many.

its all about compromises,

while driving every day ill take STOMPING SOLID bass/sub bass over a little sparkle/rear fill every time.

its a bmw right?

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
i hear ya but,

psychoacoustics considered,

i cant see any benefit of having speakers behind me unless its for movies.

killer bass while driving and listening to music has many.

its all about compromises,

while driving every day ill take STOMPING SOLID bass/sub bass over a little sparkle/rear fill every time.

its a bmw right?
If stage width and depth are important considerations, then your advice is wrong. If those aren't necessary, then I'd agree with you. Adding mystery and uncertainty by using the meaningless word "psychoacoustics" just obfuscates the issue.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Based on the model year of your e60 you might not need summing. I retrofitted the 2010 idrive in my 05 530i and it gave me full range signal from the front output.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Based on the model year of your e60 you might not need summing. I retrofitted the 2010 idrive in my 05 530i and it gave me full range signal from the front output.
Interesting, I'll have to check with Technic - he's the man when it comes to this stuff.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Interesting, I'll have to check with Technic - he's the man when it comes to this stuff.
Yes he is!!! He was the one that told me about it. He's very involved in the CIC retrofit for E90s and E60s.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
If stage width and depth are important considerations, then your advice is wrong.
im not arguing, im asking,

in your opinion is it always easier to get better stage width and depth using rear fill/ms8, and with better results overall,

then a well implemented 2 channel system, in the same vehicle.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
IT's somewhere in the MS-8. To my knowledge out of phase info is sent to the rear enhancing stage width and depth. I think sides are preferable to rears; however, I don't want to put words in Andy's mouth.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have an 08 535i with NAV and idrive and everything I heard indicated that the signal from the headunit was not full range. Would be interested if you found different. It seemed to make sense since the stock 4 inch drivers in the door don't have any crossover. I did pretty much what you are planning except with different components. Technics was a huge help and his harness was perfect although he did not have the headunit harness at the time. I got that from the UK.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts