DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.
After a long hiatus driving a car with a stock sound system, its time to get back in the game.
Had a chance to go to Finals in Kentucky last year and the SQ bug bit again.
This time around, the goal is to build a simple system to improve on the Bose system and Ill try to keep it all hidden and as OEM looking as possible.
The victim this time around is a Mazda 6 Grand Touring Plus.

Equipment will be:

HU: Keenwod Excelon DDX9905s with the dash cam. (drv-n520)
Amp/Processor: Zapco ADSP-Z8 IV. Under the drivers sear. The controller will be hidden in the sunglass thingie on the headliner.
Front Speakers: HAT Unity U3 in the corners of the dash (80 watts) and U6x9 2 ohms in the doors (120 watts).
Sub: HAT Clarus 12 in an IB wall. (480 watts)
Sound deadener: The car is pretty quiet compared to my previous daily, so I wont go crazy on this. Will do a basic job on the doors and trunk.

This will be a slooooow build, since I dont have a lot of free time.

J.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Awesome, please share as you go along and good luck :)

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Nice car. Subscribed.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Welcome back to the sickness. :p

Nice car and great choice of gear for a simple but significant upgrade in sound for your daily driver. That Kenwood is a great head unit with A+ SQ. (y)

I guess the IB wall might not be so simple, but should provide very nice bass when you get it up and running. :)

And I've never used the H.A.T. Unity gear so am interested in your results and impressions.

Tuned in for more.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
I have IB in my car and there is no way one sub will do justice for me. 2 15" OnCore XW15, great sound susb. Get low with easy and sound so good doing it. You do have very nice components for your ride. Can't wait to see how it turns out :)

·
Registered
389 Posts
I have a 2017 Mazda 6 so I'm pretty much stuck with the center dash infotainment but at least I've seen that it spits out a clean signal. Watching your build. Very nice gear

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Welcome back to the sickness. :p
Nice car and great choice of gear for a simple but significant upgrade in sound for your daily driver. That Kenwood is a great head unit with A+ SQ. (y)
I guess the IB wall might not be so simple, but should provide very nice bass when you get it up and running. :)
And I've never used the H.A.T. Unity gear so am interested in your results and impressions.
Tuned in for more.
Thanks for the warm welcome. lol.

I have IB in my car and there is no way one sub will do justice for me. 2 15" OnCore XW15, great sound susb. Get low with easy and sound so good doing it. You do have very nice components for your ride. Can't wait to see how it turns out :)

This is my first IB setup and wanted to start small, but there´s room for more subs if one doesnt cut it.

I have a 2017 Mazda 6 so I'm pretty much stuck with the center dash infotainment but at least I've seen that it spits out a clean signal. Watching your build. Very nice gear
I originally was looking for a car with the newer version of the infotainment system, but found this car in great condition, low miles and for a great price, so changed the plans.

J.

·
Member Infinitum
692 Posts
Knowing what happened with the last car, the whole simple part will not last long!!! welcome back sir. Needless to say, subscribed!!!

Also, yo might want to consider a layer of MLV on all the doors, it will help that much more...

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Knowing what happened with the last car, the whole simple part will not last long!!! welcome back sir. Needless to say, subscribed!!!
That was the old me. LOL.

Also, yo might want to consider a layer of MLV on all the doors, it will help that much more...
I do plan to add the MLV on the door and trunk but Im waiting on the material and new door panel clips to do it.

J.

·
Premium Member
9,169 Posts
I'm in. My wife has a 2015 6 GT and we've been gathering parts for a while for her build. We'll be doing IB with a pair of Gladen RS15 FAs. Check Lanson's and JayInMI's build logs on their Mazda 6s. They both have some great info. Jay's might be of particular interest to you since he has an IB install.

·
Member Infinitum
692 Posts
That was the old me. LOL.

I do plan to add the MLV on the door and trunk but Im waiting on the material and new door panel clips to do it.

J.
Sure... you say this now... but I know better...:)

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Weekend progress.
Got the camera hooked up.
Used tesa tape on the wires and ran it thru the rear view mirror plastic cover.

Also got the center console done.
The car comes with a usb/aux plug and a charger.

I got some USB extensions and replaced the OEM ones.
The right ones go into the HU. Top one does AppleCarplay. Bottom one will have a hard drive/usb with music.
The left one will plug into the Zapco. USB for tuning and the aux goes into the aux input on the amp.
The switch with the key is the "I dont trust you with my sound system" switch, which cuts the remote so the amp wont turn on.

This was my supervisor for the weekend, thats why I had a lot done.

J.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Also managed to wire the Kenwood.
Found the workshop manual for the car online, so I repined the harness to get it to work (Took out the speaker wires, pined the reverse trigger and steering wheel controls ).

Installed the GPS antena in the OEM location.

Installed the microphone on the OEM location.

Bundle of wires with tesa tape.

HU in.

HU working.

J.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts