DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
I want to add a "I don't trust you with my stereo switch" as well as a switch to turn it on without the key present.

When I did mine, I had a couple issues to overcome. 1st, Mazda made the audio system very modular. You can add BT and Nav and Satellite to it in sections. Problem being, mine came with BT, and after I installed the new radio, the old BT module kept trying to pair to my phone. I eventually had to unplug it (above the glove box) because it wouldn't pair to the new radio while it was trying to pair to the old BT module.

When I had the illumination wire hooked up, I got noise through bluetooth (streaming) on my new radio when the car was running. I disconnected it for now, but when I go back in, I'm going to use a relay to see if the noise goes away.

Finally, when I did my steering wheel controls (I used a Maestro SW, but a Pac SWI-CP2 would be a good choice as well) I had to grab one of the wires at the steering wheel so my BT buttons would work. It goes from the steering wheel, through the BT module and since I disconnected the BT module, it couldn't see those buttons, or they are completely isolated from the radio. You can most likely get them at the BT module, but steering wheel was easy to get to.

Also, I picked up a new daily, and I'm considering moving up to 15" IB subs, or 12" enclosed subs, and might move my Acoustic Elegance 12's to the new daily. I haven't decided yet. It's a smaller car, so I don't know how much space I want to give up.

The IB wall wasn't super complicated. I made mine from 3 layers of 3/4" MDF, and recessed the subs 3/4". I mounted it with metal brackets I picked up at Home depot. I left about a 1/16-1/8" gap around it, and filled the gap with black silicone to (hopefully) avoid squeaking. So far so good.

Sorry you didn't get a listen at Finals considering how similar the cars are/will be.

Jay

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I want to add a "I don't trust you with my stereo switch" as well as a switch to turn it on without the key present.

When I did mine, I had a couple issues to overcome. 1st, Mazda made the audio system very modular. You can add BT and Nav and Satellite to it in sections. Problem being, mine came with BT, and after I installed the new radio, the old BT module kept trying to pair to my phone. I eventually had to unplug it (above the glove box) because it wouldn't pair to the new radio while it was trying to pair to the old BT module.

When I had the illumination wire hooked up, I got noise through bluetooth (streaming) on my new radio when the car was running. I disconnected it for now, but when I go back in, I'm going to use a relay to see if the noise goes away.

Finally, when I did my steering wheel controls (I used a Maestro SW, but a Pac SWI-CP2 would be a good choice as well) I had to grab one of the wires at the steering wheel so my BT buttons would work. It goes from the steering wheel, through the BT module and since I disconnected the BT module, it couldn't see those buttons, or they are completely isolated from the radio. You can most likely get them at the BT module, but steering wheel was easy to get to.

Also, I picked up a new daily, and I'm considering moving up to 15" IB subs, or 12" enclosed subs, and might move my Acoustic Elegance 12's to the new daily. I haven't decided yet. It's a smaller car, so I don't know how much space I want to give up.

The IB wall wasn't super complicated. I made mine from 3 layers of 3/4" MDF, and recessed the subs 3/4". I mounted it with metal brackets I picked up at Home depot. I left about a 1/16-1/8" gap around it, and filled the gap with black silicone to (hopefully) avoid squeaking. So far so good.

Sorry you didn't get a listen at Finals considering how similar the cars are/will be.

Jay
I havent had issues with the bluetooth module or the ilumination noise.
As far as the steering wheel controls, the workshop manual mentions that the bose and non bose wiring is different. The Bose unit does have the phone buttons on the harness and the non bose doesnt.

J.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Got the power wire in.

The OEM battery has a fused terminal which has and empty spot with a 60 A fuse that just so happens to be what the Zapco ADSP-Z8 needs.

So I got a ring terminal and crimped the wire, got a 10 mm nut to hold it in place and used wire loom to make it look oem.

Used the OEM positive terminal cover and it looks like nothing happened.
In case I blow the fuse, the entire fused terminal is $23 dollars and I ordered a new one just in case.

Ran the wire into the cabin via the OEM plastic boot.

Zip tied it in place with the OEM wires.
The run from the battery to under the driver seat is under 6 feet.

As a side note, I was surprised to see what Mazda did to quiet the floor.

J.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'm going to be installing a fairly small 5 channel amp and had thought about using the stock battery fused post. Glad to hear it's a viable solution.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Man how's the Unity69s coming along? Dying to see what you come up with! Thought about them myself but still had shell shock from trying to mount Stevens Audio MB-8s unsuccessfully. What angle do you plan on mounting them? Diagonal?

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Man how's the Unity69s coming along? Dying to see what you come up with! Thought about them myself but still had shell shock from trying to mount Stevens Audio MB-8s unsuccessfully. What angle do you plan on mounting them? Diagonal?
Front speakers should be in by this weekend.
Ill make some mounting baffles using 1/2" hpde cutting boards and mount them with the stock bolts.

J.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Speakers are in.

Old vs new.

Traced the bose speaker into some hdpe cutting boards.

Wired the speakers.

In its new home.

Put the oem grill on top and covered them with a dash mat.

J.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Door speakers
Used the oem baffle to trace it onto some hdpe cutting boards.

Got the wires into the door.
The molex plug was a lot of fun. Not.

Speaker in its new home.

J.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Also got some work done on the IB wall.
Took the rear seats out.

Added some sound deadener and foam.

Made a template out of some insulation.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Transfered the template to mdf

Test fit.

Circle jig to cut the mounting hole.

Test fit 345.

Temporary Wiring.

Test fit 348.

Stock carpet covering the wall.

Still need to fix it properly and carpet it.

J.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
nice !!! always have digged your work!! how you like those 6/9 output?
Thanks.
Havent really tuned the system yet. Did T/A and Im using conservative crossover settings to break the speakers in (U3´s from 320 hz and up, U6x9´s from 320 to 80 hz and the sub from 80hz down all with LR 24 db).
Im waiting after break in to do some real tuning, but so far I like how it sounds.
I got to listen to other cars with the U6x9´s (including Ben´s Durango) and I really liked them.

J.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Very nice Build. :)
I also have 6x9 in my doors but they are OnCore C69 they unreal monsters !

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

21 - 35 of 35 Posts