DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I'm looking for some recommendations for a dome midrange. They'll be mounted in the kicks. I'd love to be able to use a driver without a sealed back, but that's just not in the cards right now. The lower it can play the better. Just would like some ideas is all. I've looked at quite a few on Madisound and most all the other sites similar to it. Again, the ability for the dome to play low is very important to me (a bit of an oxymoron I know....low playing dome midrange :( ). I'd love to hear some recommendations from you guys as you all might very well know of some that I'm not familiar with. They'll be paired with either lpg 26na's or a pair of Hiquphon OWII's. Midbass drivers for now will be Peerless HDS Exclusive 7"ers. Price range isn't really important. Preferably under $300 for the pair. Thanks guys.... :)

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=264-806

It's not a dome, but it doesn't really require any space at all (2" midrange). According to zaphaudio it will manage better than any dome I can think of down low. It also has a spider, which Imho is a must when producing lower midrange to keep the voice coil stable. Most domes won't have that, unless you're thinking ATC at about $800/pr. :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I've decided to go ahead and get a cone midrange. While it'll require an enclosure, I want something that will cover the entire lower midrange. I've contacted E-Speakers and will be getting a pair of these to play with...

http://www.visaton.com/english/artikel/art_128_2_18.html

Also gonna get a pair of these too...

http://www.visaton.com/english/artikel/art_382_1_8.html

I think Santa (my wonderful wife :) ) is gonna get me a pair of the Peerless Exclusive 4's too. I've already got a pair of the 7's. I really wanna try the set of Visiton tweets out. Look good on paper, but we'll see how they sound. Thanks again for the replies.....

·
Registered
433 Posts
Tweeter

Looks like you have found another compact tweeter that can support a x over at or slightly below 2k. :D How much are these?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Tweeter

ATB said:
Looks like you have found another compact tweeter that can support a x over at or slightly below 2k. :D How much are these?

They are $37 each from E-Speakers :) . They won't have them available for another few weeks (supposed to have them before the first of the new year). I'm gonna order my pair tomorrow morning after my deposit I made today into my bank account becomes available. Can't wait to try a pair of them out. If they work out as well as I think they could, these could be the next big thing, maybe similar in popularity to the lpg 26na's possibly. Time will tell.... :)

I wanna add that these tweets are available from Solen as well....

·
Registered
433 Posts
The frequency response graph for the tweeter on the visaton site looks to show the response flat almost down to its fs of 1.3k. Is that posssible and of so is it likely to sound any good / have decent output down that far or at last to 2k?

Considering the number of us looking for a compact format tweeter good down to 2k, I say these should be purschased after the tangband mids are sold off. ;)

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
It's hard to say... small tweeters like the Vifa xt19 (Alpine variant) can play flat down to almost 750hz, yet they audibly strain when crossed below 2.5khz.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Dayton reference is about to release a dome midrange to go with the rest of their drivers, i believe it is in the $30/piece range.
Hans

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm gonna play with them some and see at what point that start to obviously distort. I love the size of them though and if indeed they are able to play in the area of 2khz cleanly, they'll be a steal. I've got a new pair of Vifa XT25's and a new pair of LPG 26na's too. I love playing with tweeters. I'm glad I finally pulled my head out of the sand and decided to go the "diy" route. This site had alot to do with it. Very informative. "All in one box" type comp sets are in all likelyhood a thing of the past.

·
Registered
126 Posts
npdang said:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=264-806

It's not a dome, but it doesn't really require any space at all (2" midrange). According to zaphaudio it will manage better than any dome I can think of down low. It also has a spider, which Imho is a must when producing lower midrange to keep the voice coil stable. Most domes won't have that, unless you're thinking ATC at about $800/pr. :)
Sorry. I'm I reading you right? Zaph recommended the W2-880?

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
No just based on the distortion plots... it looks fairly decent.

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
Keep in mind though that, especially when talking about dome mids and tweeters, the low frequency limit is often dictated by power handling rather than frequency response characteristics, etc. Basically, a tweeter that can truly handle down to 1 or 2kHz is going to need to be able to handle gobs of power. The thermal power handling capabilities of being able to handle that additional 1 or 1-1/2 octaves would probably require nearly doubling the power handling of the tweeter.

[Oh yeah, and when speaker manufacturers claim their tweeters can handle 80wrms, or 100w or whatever, usually they're referring to "system power" - that basically means it can handle that much power broadband; but if you're using an active xover, don't give your tweeter 80 watts!]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts