DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will start with an apology. I started a build log a couple weeks ago, but couldnt keep up with what seemed to be the progress expectation, life kept getting in the way haha. But here it is, Full SQ build, all the pics I have start to finish!!!!!

Project 06 Hummer H3

The gear;
-Excessive Amperage High Output Alternator
-Kinetic HC1800 battery
-Kinetic HC600 battery
-(2) 39 square ft. bulk packs of Hush Mat
-Alpine INA-W910 head unit
-Alpine PXA-H701 processor
-Audison LRx 2.4 2 channel amplifier
-Audison LRx 2.9 2 channel amplifier
-Audison LRx 1.2K mono block amplifier
-Hertz Mille MLK 2 6.5" component speakers
-(4) Hertz HX 300 12" subwoofers

I will be bi-amping the MLK 2's with the LRx 2.9 and 2.4amps, and the 4 HX 300's will be in a 7.12 gross cubic ft box tuned to 38 HZ

P.S. Sounds friggin amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Canvas

Little bit of Hushmat

Starting the 7.12 cubic ft box

Brace it up

Test fit!

Added some dimension with the raised ports and roudered all the holes out

Blended and shaped the ports over

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Test fit the amp location

Vinyl wrap the port area

Kinetic installed

910 in the dash

Build some baffles for the door speakers out of 3/4" MDF

Hush them doors and install some mids

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Remove the factory sub and amp

And replace it with a better use of space!!!! Another Kinetic, some fusing, whole lotta wires, and yes yes the Alpine H701 Processor

And here it is.....

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Well lemme know what you think!!!

Oh the only thing that I still need to do is throw in the alternator...

THATS ALL FOR NOW!!!

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Looks fantastic! Congratulations! That enclosure is top notch... I bet it'll stop your heart! Love the amp rack as well... Very clean indeed!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Those amps look like you picked them on dimensions alone, fit and finish is outstanding. Nice taste!! Great install!!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Those amps look like you picked them on dimensions alone, fit and finish is outstanding. Nice taste!! Great install!!
quite the opposite ;) it took awhile to lay them all out to fit the way I wanted, but it seemed to work out in the end.

Thanks for all the GREAT feedback guys!!!

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I REALLY LIKE YOUR BUILD!

It is so clean and tidy, fantastic attention to detail
and use of space. I especially like how you have the
crossovers as a point of interest. The craftsman ship
of those is great and to not display them as you did
would be a great injustice.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Are the passive crossovers only being used for show?

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
numbers bro, show us some numbers! i wanna see that baby punch a hole in you roof! :p I find it hard ti believe that's indended only as a SQ box, im betting you can do some SERIOUSE damage with that thing.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Are the passive crossovers only being used for show?
Actually no, lol, I dont want this to turn into ANOTHER active vs passive thread, but I pick and choose my battles. If I was running a set of speaks that just had your average crossover then I would def run active. But Hertz put gobbs of R and D into these babys and it would take hours of tuning to get them crossed as accurate as these passives are. Between all the notch filters and the quality of components that these have I wouldn't dream of throwing them out. But they are biamped through the passive so I have full level control and loads of power to each tweet and mid! :laugh:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
numbers bro, show us some numbers! i wanna see that baby punch a hole in you roof! :p I find it hard ti believe that's indended only as a SQ box, im betting you can do some SERIOUSE damage with that thing.
Well no numbers quite yet because I dont have it all dialed in, haha, but as soon as I do I will meter it. And your sneaking suspicion might be slightly correct. With the sub volume on the deck set to 0, it is incredibly SQ. but bump it up to just 5 let alone 15 and yeah there might be a hole in the roof!!! Speaking of the roof I still have to Hush mat it this weekend. but that shouldnt take too long ;)

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Also, not to get into a debate over passive or active systems, they each have strong points and honestly I really like both equally. I can really appreciate the engineering behind building a really good passive crossover.

WAY WAY back in the day and I wish I still had the magazine. A competitor who had significant hearing loss designed an under 50w (I think it was) system, Rockford I believe. That used the little 40 Rockford amp at the time, a pair of 10's I believe, and 2 way component (again I could be wrong). The crossover was nothing sort of a thing of art, it was said the car sounded unbelievable. Numbers were never given as to what they were actually getting out of that little Rockford amp (days of the cheater systems). This was one car I wish I had the opportunity to listen to.

So, each has its merits and I applaud you for using what the manufacture spent countless hours perfecting. Besides, it looks completely bitchin.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well said, and thanks for you comment at the very end! Haha, I will add only one other thing... Anyone who thinks I am losing anything at all by goin passive I ask you to make a trip to Boise, I will buy you lunch and let you take a nice long listen. At that point you can form your opinion =D

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Very nice! I like the overall look.

Please say you have an alarm system! A criminal could cut some wires and remove your whole system in 10 seconds. :eek:
This is true. I also wonder how vibration is going to effect those passives...

Very clean install though. Me likey. :D

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Very nice! I like the overall look.

Please say you have an alarm system! A criminal could cut some wires and remove your whole system in 10 seconds. :eek:
I have a Compustar Pro two way so no worries, but even if they get around it I have that thing bolted to the floor in 4 locations, AND its garaged when im not driving it or at work. But worse case scenario if it disappears I have it insured for up to $10,000 extra for custom stereo, and I am the agent on the policy so should be fine :D

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This is true. I also wonder how vibration is going to effect those passives...

Very clean install though. Me likey. :D
Thanks!!! Passives wont, or, shouldn't be a problem though. Hertz states very clearly in the manual for these that they are designed with vibration dampeners for installs as such...

1 - 20 of 54 Posts