DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Replacing stock deck/speakers in a 97 80 series Land Cruiser with the following:

-JVC Arsenal ADV 794 double DIN deck, BT, Ipod cable, B/U cam etc...
-Polk Audio DB6501 components in the stock front door locations, 100w RMS 4 ohm
-Polk Audio DB651 in stock rear door locations 60w RMS 4 ohm

Truck has factory amp, but will be bypassing and removing on install this next week. I have a buddy who's done several installs and we will be installing the above.

Plan on running speakers from the HU (50x4) initially, but want to get an amp at some point. Also probably will add an 8" sub in the rear quarter to replace factory sub.

With all of this being said, I have no idea where to start from an amp standpoint as far as specs. Don't want rattle trap, just want it to sound good. I have a little time as I plan on adding a 2nd battery setup for off-roading so I need to have that done before I get the amp installed. I really like the old school Soundstreams, but have also seem some really good deals on the newer Infinity ref 475 and JL Audio 300/4 amps, but it doesn't take adding the small sub into consideration.

Don't want to run multiple amps but also don't want to under power my door speakers.

Whats a good amp for my application? Also you'd think there'd be ton of room to mount this but there's not really. It will all have to go in the PS rear quarter, along with whatever sub and I plan on adding an inverter in the same location.......

What should I be looking for?

Thanks for the help.

Cheers,
Mike

·
Super Moderator
5,227 Posts
Power does not sound like the most important thing to you, so I recommend a 5-channel amp. Most inexpensive ones will be 50w x 4 and 300w x 1 @ 2ohm, which would work well for you because you can bridge the amp to the front speakers, power the rear speakers off the HU, and when you get a sub 300w will sound good and not shake every thing to pieces.

There are plenty of 5-channels to pick from. Have a budget in mind?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Alpine MRX-V60 will fall right in the middle of your budget. its rated at 50x4 @ 4 and 300x1 @ 2. The birth sheets will rate slightly different especially on the sub channel.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Couple of great options, thanks!

At that point, can I only buy a sub that is 300w/2ohm or is any sub rated over that ok to use?

The new Infinity is crazy powerful and cheap, but it's also 250w/4ohm
Amazon.com: Infinity Reference 8-Inch 1,000-Watt High-Performance Subwoofer (Single Voice Coil): Car Electronics

Also like the JL
http://www.techronics.com/caraudio_9679_JL-Audio-8W1v2-4-8-inch-Single-4-ohms-W1v2-Series-Car-Audio-Subwoofer.html

Didn't know how much leeway there is when choosing a small sub for this type of setup.

Thanks for the info so far!

Cheers,
Mike

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
you can use a higher rms sub than what your amp can provide. generally you will have similar output regardless of the rms rating of the sub. some subs have stiff suspensions and need more power to get moving, but generally those are SPL subs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
AWESOME replies, thanks so much for the great info, this is definitely pointing me in the right direction.....

I'll let you guys know what I end up with amp/sub wise and do a follow up on the install.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts