DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive a first-generation Scion xB. It's a boxy, somewhat noisy car that I'm working on making quieter as I finish my system. Here's a picture:

Besides finishing the floor, my next deadening step is to do the front doors for my midbasses. This isn't about deadening with constrained-layer damping tiles, closed-cell foam, or mass-loaded vinyl...

If you know any thing about golf - and I don't, mind you - you might know about the boundary layer effect caused by the dimples on the golf ball, where they create a turbulent "skin" of air around the ball which helps it fly faster, with the idea being that the skin of air will slip through the ambient air faster than if the golf ball's surface was in direct contact with the ambient atmosphere.

I had the idea of putting those rubber door-edge guard strips on the leading [front] edges of the doors, with the hope being that they might create turbulent layers of air just over the outside surfaces of the doors. It might help with noise, and it might help with gas mileage.

These things:

Am I crazy here, or does my idea have any merit?

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I have no idea if that has merit, but I'm willing to bet it won't work. Golf ball effect requires uniform distribution, creating kind of a wave of high/low pressure areas over the surface. Not a single sharp-edge in the middle of the air stream. That being said...

Try it out and post pics :)

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have no idea if that has merit, but I'm willing to bet it won't work. Golf ball effect requires uniform distribution, creating kind of a wave of high/low pressure areas over the surface. Not a single sharp-edge in the middle of the air stream. That being said...

Try it out and post pics :)
I think you're getting at what I'm talking about... it wouldn't be so much as creating a rippled or dimpled effect, but rather disrupting the sheet of air flowing over the surface of the door, in effect "lifting" it off the metal by the height of the edge guard's protrusion - 1/8", tops.

Maybe it's better to picture it as a spoiler of sorts.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I think you're getting at what I'm talking about... it wouldn't be so much as creating a rippled or dimpled effect, but rather disrupting the sheet of air flowing over the surface of the door, in effect "lifting" it off the metal by the height of the edge guard's protrusion - 1/8", tops.

Maybe it's better to picture it as a spoiler of sorts.
to do that it requires drag since its out in the air. You'd have better luck with tape over the cracks and using the windows to enter/exit.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
to do that it requires drag since its out in the air. You'd have better luck with tape over the cracks and using the windows to enter/exit.
^yep. You are creating drag, trying to reduce noise. Put them on, I bet you instantly notice more wind noise.

Wind noise has to be treated source by source. What works on the mirrors is not going to work on the C-pillars, etc.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Check out http://www.ecomodders.com for aerodynamics help, they have a reall good forum. One thing I know, is the owner of aerocivic stated that he has almost no road noise from the floor or tires, with no deadening. The only thing on his car that would reduce that noise is front and rear wheel skirts, and a full length smooth undertray.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
You can install seals from the inside of the door to make gaps tighter with doors closed. Sure helped on my old car. Gotta get creative with installation since the glue that is on them wasn't great. Something like this:

·
Registered
213 Posts
Interesting concept.

One of the first things I try to ask myself before modding a car is, "Why didn't the manufacturer do it that way?".

Given the amount of processing power available for computer modeling and the sophistication of the wind tunnel facilities and simulation as well, I would think that this subject has already been researched. But that doesn't mean it doesn't work necessarily. It just may mean that particular engineering solution was not considered optimum for the particular set of engineering priorities used in that instance. For example, the concept might be effective for noise reduction, but might have been at odds with lower cd for gas mileage, or might have increased manufacturing costs beyond acceptable parameters for the perceived benefit.

Most manufacturers have a pretty clearly defined demographic they try to appeal to with a product. Many times mods have been ruled out as contrary to the design goals for that demographic. For those outside the demographic that may have other priorities, a different engineering solution may be perfectly acceptable to the 20th percentile of the market, but unacceptable to the 80th percentile where the bulk of the profit for the product lies.

Case in point, lowered suspensions. Most of the market for a given vehicle will find the harsher ride and lower clearance of a modded suspension unacceptable for everyday driving, but for the driver who places a higher value on handling this may be a solution that is worth the trade-offs in comfort, practicality, and cost.

Or sound systems. As much as as Bose and other factory systems are often maligned here -by those who put a premium on excellence in audio- the fact of the matter is that for the 80th percentile buyer, those systems are as good or better than what they want and are as good a system as they are willing to pay for, and these systems for that typical buyer represent a good cost/benefit ratio. But for the listener here, those systems are unacceptable, and we are willing to accept a greater degree of trade-off in space utilization, ergonomics, visual aesthetics, and cost to achieve a high fidelity in sound reproduction. Not to mention its a lot of fun to learn about and experiment with, and worth it to achieve the end result of connecting with the music.

Bottom line is, what are YOUR priorities for YOUR vehicle, and are you willing to accept the trade-offs that manufacturers may have passed on to meet the needs of the majority of their buyer base, especially cost, to meet YOUR expectations.

Give it a shot. Life should be about learning, about enjoying the journey, about the adventure. What have you got to lose? It might work. In design, the elegantly simple is often the best approach.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
^good thoughts. I've personally messed with some things aerodynamics wise. I used partial front and rear wheel skirts, very small side mirrors, removed wipers in summer, and a more aerodynamic front bumper. The two things I noticed were lower wind noise, and significantly better gas mileage. I was able to top 52mpg freeway at 65mph, with the air on, in a 98 dodge neon dohc with a 5 speed.

Of course, the downsides were that the majority of the population thought it was ugly and would never drive something that looked like my car did.

·
Registered
274 Posts
If you know any thing about golf - and I don't, mind you - you might know about the boundary layer effect caused by the dimples on the golf ball, where they create a turbulent "skin" of air around the ball which helps it fly faster, with the idea being that the skin of air will slip through the ambient air faster than if the golf ball's surface was in direct contact with the ambient atmosphere.

Firstly, sorry I am going to get all Bill Nye.....but you asked so I am going to give you the lowdown.

It wont on a car-airplane for a few reasons. The problem is due to the vehicles Reynolds number (Re) [cars are just too big] and the target speed where you are trying to induce a separation of the boundary layer. It is true that dimples on a golf ball will make the ball fly faster/further but this is because its speed/size/shape and wetted area on a golf ball allow the dimples to have a positive change.

....and....the dimples on the ball generate turbulence after the wetted area, but this is to induce turbulence on the aft section of the ball. Most (75%ish) of the drag generated by cars, balls whatever is made from the air exiting the object. The dimples allow the turbulence to reduce the low pressure area behind the ball (wake) because the turbulent air has the tendency to remain attached longer before separation VS laminar flow .......(*meaning) that dimples would only work on the nose of the vehicle, and only allow the flow to remain attached for a MINIMAL time longer. Door edge guards wont have any effect on increasing vehicle efficiency.

With the dimple advantage in mind I (and many other land speed racers) spent more then a few hours mind f-ing ourselves over if dimples would help increase speed of their race vehicles.....I found that with dimples in my application (and other LSR vehicles) would have had a very appreciable loss at any speed over 90 mph including a significant loss at my target speed of 375-400mph with an almost unmeasurable gain at lower speeds.

If you want to increase vehicle efficiency there are some very real things you can do.....not that they will decrease wind noise in the cabin (they make products for that).

In short.....at least its a good idea. I have often said I would rather be wrong based on a good idea then right by accident.

Good luck

~JH

·
Registered
274 Posts
Thanks TSTF...

HondAudio.....

While the dimples wont work you can see some advantages from vortex generators. If you dont have the thousands of dollars for wind tunnel time and thousands to pay an Aerodynamicists to analyze the data you can sure play around with placement and what others have done. Here is a pic of an Xb with vortex generators in the aft section.

~JH

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks TSTF...

HondAudio.....

While the dimples wont work you can see some advantages from vortex generators. If you dont have the thousands of dollars for wind tunnel time and thousands to pay an Aerodynamicists to analyze the data you can sure play around with placement and what others have done. Here is a pic of an Xb with vortex generators in the aft section.

~JH
I've seen that before, but never on a first-generation xB [the pic is of a second-generation xB; you can tell by the antenna]. I would ask on ScionLife or something, but I don't know how many people still go there.

That EcoModder site looked interesting, but I didn't see a lot of people with xBs.

·
Premium Member
6,034 Posts
I drive a first-generation Scion xB. It's a boxy, somewhat noisy car that I'm working on making quieter as I finish my system. Here's a picture:

Besides finishing the floor, my next deadening step is to do the front doors for my midbasses. This isn't about deadening with constrained-layer damping tiles, closed-cell foam, or mass-loaded vinyl...

I had the idea of putting those rubber door-edge guard strips on the leading [front] edges of the doors, with the hope being that they might create turbulent layers of air just over the outside surfaces of the doors. It might help with noise, and it might help with gas mileage.

These things:

Am I crazy here, or does my idea have any merit?
I agree with the other dude from Portland - the aerodynamic advantages don't compute.

BUT

I also think you are on the right track. I think that a lot of car audio shops focus on selling 'bandages' to reduce sound. But there's a LOT you can do to stop sound at the source. For instance, on my Accord I am using tires that are intended for hybrids. I literally had to beg the tire shop to put them on.

On the downside, the tire shop was right, my braking and handling has suffered.

But on the upside, it made an instant and noticeable reduction in road noise, far more noticeable than anything I've achieved via sound deadening. I found the hybrid tires by reviewing various tires on tirerack.com, and finding the tires with the lowest roadest noise.

If I were to attack the problem further, instead of *adding* things to the car, like vortex generators, I'd look at *removing* things.

I'm into bicycles, and there's a great video of Lance Armstrong on his bicycle in a wind tunnel. In the video, Lance demonstrates how RAISING HIS THUMB lowers the top speed of his bicycle. This is because it raised the coefficient of drag.

So little things can add up.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I agree with the other dude from Portland - the aerodynamic advantages don't compute.

BUT

I also think you are on the right track. I think that a lot of car audio shops focus on selling 'bandages' to reduce sound. But there's a LOT you can do to stop sound at the source. For instance, on my Accord I am using tires that are intended for hybrids. I literally had to beg the tire shop to put them on.

On the downside, the tire shop was right, my braking and handling has suffered.

But on the upside, it made an instant and noticeable reduction in road noise, far more noticeable than anything I've achieved via sound deadening. I found the hybrid tires by reviewing various tires on tirerack.com, and finding the tires with the lowest roadest noise.

If I were to attack the problem further, instead of *adding* things to the car, like vortex generators, I'd look at *removing* things.

I'm into bicycles, and there's a great video of Lance Armstrong on his bicycle in a wind tunnel. In the video, Lance demonstrates how RAISING HIS THUMB lowers the top speed of his bicycle. This is because it raised the coefficient of drag.

So little things can add up.
Good point about the tires. Short of using hybrid-specific tires on my car, should I look for "touring" tires next time?

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Good point about the tires. Short of using hybrid-specific tires on my car, should I look for "touring" tires next time?
Tirerack has a specific option on the left hand side marked "Low Rolling Resistance" tires that you can filter by. From the site: "Tires with low rolling resistance technology are designed to enhance fuel economy. LRR, EcoPlus, Ecoimpact, Economy Plus, Ecopia, Green X, eco or other tire name designations are used to identify low rolling resistance tires."

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Keep in mind, low rolling resistance ofter comes with more noise. Bridgestone B381's are one or the lowest rolling resistance tires out there, and they are very loud. Often, tire hardness is increased with a decrease in rolling resistance.

·
Premium Member
6,034 Posts
Keep in mind, low rolling resistance ofter comes with more noise. Bridgestone B381's are one or the lowest rolling resistance tires out there, and they are very loud. Often, tire hardness is increased with a decrease in rolling resistance.
True that. I dig the Honda Fit, but it's loud as hell. Perhaps skinny hard tires have something to do with that.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts