DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I'm in the planning stages of a 3-way active build in my Lexus LS400. I'd like to know your recommendations for mounting a midrange driver in my door card, or in the inner door skin, maybe with an enclosure of sorts? I have no problem cutting the metal of the door skin or trimming the door card. Fiberglass is outside of my skillset and woodworking is minimal. So I figure my best bet is to make a mounting bracket of sorts to the inner door skin and trim an opening to the door card.

My question then is what sort of enclosure will I need for my midrange? How should it be designed? I have seen 4" pvc pipe mentioned. I assume I do not want to run my midrange without isolating it from the midwoofer in some fashion. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

·
Registered
44 Posts
IMO I would keep the midrange as close to the tweeter as possible. The sails is usually ideal if you can. One of my current projects I'm working on is a 2008 ES350 and considering running my midrange and tweeter in the corner dash pods where the ML stock speakers are.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep I'm really wishing I had a stock location for a midrange right now. I would love to keep them as close to ear level as possible but I'm hoping that DSP can help account for that.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Photos?

Ge0

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's a 1990, I'll upload a pic later today but the issue with dash/pillar mounting is the steep rise of the instrument cluster. Seems there is no space at or below ear level that wouldn't be obstructed by the dash.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I think you might have the space if you utilize your sails and pillars, but you'll be left with the fiberglass issue. What components were you thinking of?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had 7-8" midwoofer, 3-4" midrange and 1" tweeter in mind. Specific drivers I'm not sure, but it seems I will want an enclosure as there are few midranges that seem suitable for IB install.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
It's a 1990, I'll upload a pic later today but the issue with dash/pillar mounting is the steep rise of the instrument cluster. Seems there is no space at or below ear level that wouldn't be obstructed by the dash.
I'm going to tell you a little secret. They don't need to be totally unobstructed. One of the best sounding vehicles I have ever built had midranges buried deep into the kicks. If you have a DSP that can correct time alignment you would be golden.

Ge0

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Yep I have a Dayton DSP408. It seems I may need to learn fiberglass to accomplish my goal of a 3 way build.

I assume simple sealed box for a 4" midrange should be easy enough to knock out. Thanks for the link/tips, I'll experiment and see what I can do for placement.

The amount of skills I'm needing to learn for this build are dizzying!

EDIT: Ge0 looking through your thread has strongly encouraged me to take a leap of faith and go ahead full steam with a 3-way setup. (Thinking Scanspeak or SB)

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Yep I have a Dayton DSP408. It seems I may need to learn fiberglass to accomplish my goal of a 3 way build.

I assume simple sealed box for a 4" midrange should be easy enough to knock out. Thanks for the link/tips, I'll experiment and see what I can do for placement.

The amount of skills I'm needing to learn for this build are dizzying!

EDIT: Ge0 looking through your thread has strongly encouraged me to take a leap of faith and go ahead full steam with a 3-way setup. (Thinking Scanspeak or SB)
Those 12m's are nothing short of awesome. I'll eventually work them into my most recent build. For now I am trying the 10F's.

If you have a processor and the amp channels available to do so I strongly encourage a 3 way front. You just can't come close with 2 way unless you seriously mod your vehicle.

Ge0

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yep I have the processor and am planning to run a 6-channel amp or 2x 4-channel. For the front stage I'll definitely be looking at the Discovery range. That or the SB acoustics range. Revelator would be incredible no doubt but that would put me in a totally different price bracket and require me to rethink all my other hardware.

I started playing around with the DSP-408 tonight and wow, even in a 2-way coax setup I'm getting some amazing results from a quick tune.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Take a look at my doors. The mid-bass is sealed into the inner door cavity.

My midrange is mounted into my door panel with acoustic batting surrounding it.

The two drivers are separated acoustically.

Ge0

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Clever placement, I like that and would definitely have room in my panels to do that. Is that the scan 10fs? And they sound alright basically free air?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I was thinking one of those two spots.For the higher position, if not fiberglass, maybe I could make up some pods and attach them with a piece of metal strap under the A pillar? For the lower position I have space to simply cut the cutout in the panel and mount directly, i'm not sure I would have room for any sort of enclosure.

·
Registered
2013 VW CC
383 Posts
I would put it in the door card over the a pillars. There was an article or long thread about midrange placement and it stated the door cards closer to the midbass is actually better do to some technical stuff I didn’t understand. I can’t find the post now.
Anyways of the systems I’ve heard the door cards make for a wider and better sounding soundstage.

here’s a pic of mine. I think It’s like geo has his. Midbass completely sealed off in the doors. And the mids are treated behind and around them like geo also.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The only space I see to get close to the midbass is the kicks maybe. To the side is leather plus it'd be firing into the seats basically.

I like the wide open space I have to mount the mid on the upper door card but I would worry about spacing my drivers so far apart from each other. It seems like a pod to mount the tweeter and mid in line with each other would be ideal

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Clever placement, I like that and would definitely have room in my panels to do that. Is that the scan 10fs? And they sound alright basically free air?
Yes they are 10F's. Update. Not really free air anymore:

I stacked the foam to close them off into their own cavity with the batting put back in place.

Ge0

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Right, thanks ge0 I'll look into your Macan thread. Seems like a pretty clever solution. What freq range are you running them at? No problems tuning?

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Right, thanks ge0 I'll look into your Macan thread. Seems like a pretty clever solution. What freq range are you running them at? No problems tuning?
Drivers are currently crossed over at 300Hz to 3KHz with 24 dB/octave LR crossovers. My build thread shows my initial tuning results.

Ge0

1 - 20 of 30 Posts