DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2013 VW CC
464 Posts
The only space I see to get close to the midbass is the kicks maybe. To the side is leather plus it'd be firing into the seats basically.

I like the wide open space I have to mount the mid on the upper door card but I would worry about spacing my drivers so far apart from each other. It seems like a pod to mount the tweeter and mid in line with each other would be ideal
yeah that area on the upper door card would be a nice location for the mid (better than a pillars).
And the tweet in the sail panel is close by. Plus the mid isn’t too far from the midbass.

·
Registered
2013 VW CC
464 Posts
I need to check your thread out also because the last car I tuned had the 10f in a pillars that Skizr actually made and used in one of his builds. The guy bought them off of here. Anyways their response was horrible and very peaky. Both responses literally looked like double back camels with 13-17db in between the humps . And both rolled off between 350-400hz with little output below. They also would not play much higher than 3000 before basically dropping off to nothing. It was very odd. I even had to recheck and make sure he hadn’t accidentally had the low and high pass turned on on his amps it was that bad. Maybe they were a bad pair of speakers but I was never totally satisfied with their sound. After one tune I was like wtf? It looked decent but sounded like crap. So I retuned it from scratch the next day and finally got it. Ended up setting them to 350-3500hz. Anyways...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thanks for the thoughts/votes of confidence. Much happier to jump into this if door mounting will work well. I'll start looking at a driver combo (was thinking SB acoustics, Scan Discovery or Seas Prestige, in any combination). Not looking to spend more than $500 for 6 drivers... Will be running with Dayton DSP408, amps not decided on yet

·
Registered
2013 VW CC
464 Posts
For the money the Seas prestige textile dome can’t be beat! That’s whAt I have and It sounds amazing! There is alot of guys that use them! They are the easiest to install of any good tweets. Just use a hole saw in a drill drill the hole and pop them in and your done. That’s whT I did at first. they pointed across at each other. Then got bored and modified my sails with bondo lol

I had the sb acoustics but they were pretty big for sail panels so returned them. I wanted to try them because they can play low. But I realized there is no need with a 3 way system. So Then I moved my tweets up from 3000 to 3700hz and they came alive! I listen to very high volume levels sometimes and now the seas don’t break a sweat. And I’m talking 126+ db they still sound amazing.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
You meant the sb29rdcn right? I was considering that tweeter but would like to retain the stock sail panel /grille if possible so a smaller tweeter would be nice. I like high spl as well so I'll check out the Seas tweeter.

Got a build thread selkec? Would like to check out your driver combo/tuning and impressions

·
Banned
338 Posts
I would put it in the door card over the a pillars. There was an article or long thread about midrange placement and it stated the door cards closer to the midbass is actually better do to some technical stuff I didn’t understand. I can’t find the post now.
Anyways of the systems I’ve heard the door cards make for a wider and better sounding soundstage.

here’s a pic of mine. I think It’s like geo has his. Midbass completely sealed off in the doors. And the mids are treated behind and around them like geo also.
View attachment 275896

Nice Voce's! I have been considering those I wont be putting them in OEM location so having the visually appealing look and grill is nice. How do they sound and compare to any other midranges, or do you have the full voce set?

·
Registered
2013 VW CC
464 Posts
You meant the sb29rdcn right? I was considering that tweeter but would like to retain the stock sail panel /grille if possible so a smaller tweeter would be nice. I like high spl as well so I'll check out the Seas tweeter.

Got a build thread selkec? Would like to check out your driver combo/tuning and impressions
I wish I had started one! Does anyone ever start a build thread after they have practically finished lol It’s been a long 2+ year journey from the beginning . Thinking I was just gonna upgrade factory with 5 channel amp and head unit then I fell down the rabbit hole and you know how that goes! Lol

Reactions: DoubleCrown

·
Registered
2013 VW CC
464 Posts
Got a build thread selkec? Would like to check out
Nice Voce's! I have been considering those I wont be putting them in OEM location so having the visually appealing look and grill is nice. How do they sound and compare to any other midranges, or do you have the full voce set?
I have the 3” and 6.5” Voce. With the seas prestige tweet.
the 3” voce sound amazing when ran 300hz - 3700hz
At high spl like I listen they don’t like playing down to 250hz like I once had them. Once I moved them to 300hz the breakup or distortion I woild sometimes hear at high volume went away. They will take a beating also! I was tweaking my mids one evening at high volume. Using the drag and drop eq function in helix. With 4-6db boost and running up and down the frequency range. And after about 30 minutes I smelled something. It was the passenger side 3” I got out to check it and the entire door card was hot several inches aroind the 3” Voce!😳 I thought I for sure smoked it. Let it cool down and came back couple hours later and it was fine! That’s been 3 months ago! I can’t believe it survived. I was prepared to swap it with a backup Voce 3” I got from a forum member that I tuned.
which brings me to this. That guy had the voce but changed to scanspeak 10f and I gotta say thaT compared to the Voce 3” the Voce blows them away! Not even close. Sorry Brian 😉 if ya reading this 😂
Of course it could be due to the 10f being in the custom apillars that were built by Skizr and me not liking the sound of mids up up the window.
Brian goes by Bmann or something like that on here. He had 10f in a pillars, scanspeak illuminator tweets in doors and Steven’s audio mb8. My impression is the mb8 midbass are badass and I’m going to get a pair of them very soon!
the scan tweets sound Nice. But I found that I do not like the sound of mids in a pillars! Seems too in your face for lack of better way to describe it. It also makes for a narrow soundstage. Brian’s system can get very loud! I compared his and mine by telling him his is like a rock concert and mine is a symphony orchestra. They both play equally loud 125db+. But after 10 minutes his hurts your ears and mine you can listen to for hours at that high spl and have no fatigue.

After all that I would say yes, the Voce and seas combo are really nice sounding! And with the mids in the doors the stage is very wide!

·
Banned
338 Posts

Thanks for your input. Ive heard many people say the Audison Voce is one of the very best sounding component sets in its price range. I might give those mids a try.

·
Registered
2013 VW CC
464 Posts
I started a build thread with lots of pics

21 - 30 of 30 Posts